Roughly I wipe away a lonely tear as it escapes the guarded confines of my impassive eyes.

'This isn't a time to mourn.'

'This wasn't an accident, or natural case. This was murder. Cold-blooded murder'

And there now stands little to nothing that can withhold me from digging up the truth and finding the person or persons responsible for snatching my mum from me.

She wasn't perfect, I admit. But who was? I loved her...no. I love her, that will never stop or change.

A knock pulls me back to reality, my hand instinctively flying to my face to ensure no evidence of my brief displacement of grief is evident.

"Can I come in?" Kayden asks from his position by the door.

'When did he ever ask for permission before?' I frown, yet nod permitting him.

"Heard you were on a hunger strike," he says, a hint of humour detectable in his demeanour.

"Not hungry," I shrug.

"Well it's a good thing you don't need to be hungry to grab milkshakes then," he replies wittily.

"Don't want one."

"Well I do, and I really..." he drags out his words, "don't want to go alone. So come with?" he offers a pleading look which is rather hard to refuse.

I take in a deep breath, before exhaling. "Fine," I give him earning a brilliant smile from him.

"That's my girl!" He cheers over-enthusiastically, earning an eye roll from me.

Still dressed in the simple black velvet dress I wore to the funeral service, I decide against changing. The lack of will and energy being the main reason.

"Let's go then?" He asks, I nod affirmatively.

The first thing as I leave the security of the mansion's front door is the crowd of people armed with cameras and microphones swamping the gates down the driveway.

Each lens aimed at the door like a hunter's rifle aimed at its prey, following its every move and waiting for the perfect opportunity to fire--or in their case click.

'Even in grief why can't they leave us alone'

Having lived with the Ashfords for what seems and feels to be a very long time, being hounded by the paparazzi I've learnt for them is somewhat of a norm. For me? Not so much.

Having had Enrique's face be the cover of more than one Forbes magazine could have contributed to their unfathomable obsession with the Asfords. Ryan's name featuring relatively high up on their 'Top 100 most influential people in the Country' list could quite as well have contributed to it.

Question after question, the most insensitive in nature, are thrown our way with not much time between them to comprehend them much less answer them.

Kayden tries his best to speed past them, effectively ignoring them as he does, yet with determination strong enough not to be deterred by a moving car pushing past his way, the reporters stand firm following the car as they do. Their questions have no end.

"Do you suspect this to be the work of your rivals?"

"Mr Ashford, who do you hold accountable for this tragedy?"

"Will Miss. Hart continues to be a part of this family?" ---That question struck home, yet I force myself to turn a deaf ear.

"Miss. Hart, do you know who could possibly want your mother dead?"