Chapter 12: The Rabbit's Appearance

[22 weeks before Arisu arrives at the Borderlands]

Y/N's POV

It's been almost a year since I came to the Borderlands. Currently, I am on my way to a game, this time, it's only me in the game with no one else that I know. I wore practical clothes so I can move around easier, just in case we were required to do physical activity. I looked out the window watching everything that the car goes by out of anxiousness. My finger tapped against my thigh as I waited in anticipation of our arrival at the game.

We have finally arrived at the location, it seems like it would be a clubs, spades or hearts game due to the large space we have been given. I and all the others from the beach got off the car and walked towards our designated place. The members of the Beach and a few other people (which I assume were the people that didn't know the Beach existed yet) entered a mall, I wonder what game will take place there. As usual, there was a table with a certain amount of phones that was laid on top. I noticed a middle-aged woman that looked like she was in her 40s. She walked out of the crowd to take a closer look at the sign.

"One per person? does anyone know what is happening right now?" She asked and a few others replied to her question.

My assumption stands correct, she is a new player, how unfortunate. I went up to the table and grabbed a phone and went back to my spot, I watched as the experienced players also grabbed a phone. The new players just followed the suit, still not knowing what was entirely going on. My eyes scanned the crowd, observing them discreetly before spotting a familiar short-haired girl. Well, it looks like one of the main characters is here, Usagi, I wonder how long she has been in the Borderlands. A sudden ding went off from everyone's phones simultaneously, we looked down at our phones to see the countdown.

*Register has been closed*

*Please wait until the game begins*

00:04:03

Well, time to wait until four minutes have passed, I should talk to Usagi! Although she is friendly, she would often distance herself from others. It doesn't hurt to interact with her, plus it's not a bad plan to build mutual connections here. I made my way through the crowd towards where Usagi was.

"Hey there!" I called out to her.

Usagi turned to me, tilted her head to the side and pointed to herself as if she was saying 'Who me?' I chuckled softly and nodded.

"Yes, can I help you?" she shot me a polite smile.

"You don't need to help me with anything, I just want someone to talk to." I smiled

"Oh ok." she replied almost robotically

"Are you... new to the Borderlands?" I questioned her

"Well, not exactly, I came here a month ago but I'm not sure," she answered

"I see, well I was here almost a year, crazy right?" I chuckled humorlessly

"I'm... sorry" she smiled pitifully

"Nah, it's not your fault, besides, I made some friends along the way which certainly brightens my day." I beamed, she looked at me and smiled sadly.

"You know... having friends comes with risks, you know that right?" she asked.

"Well yeah, I know it could but I would rather survive with friends than survive alone." I grinned as she looked at me with a thoughtful look.

"But aren't you afraid that you might lose them?" she persisted

"Of course but, I would be glad that I had such good friends even in the Borderlands even... when I won't be able to see them again." I smiled sadly.

She looked at me before smiling, genuinely this time.