»Can you stop the magic without him feeling miserably again?« Cas asked worriedly and quickly came up to our bed.

»I hope so,« Emi whispered and took her hands away the moment Cassian lifted me up in his arms.

Immediately my breath went quicker and I squeezed myself closer to him. My body tensed up and my organs felt like they were on a roller-coaster they didn't enjoy at all.

My sight went blurry and my body trembled from the cold and in the next moment I wanted to tear off my clothes because it was too hot. But him being close to me was enough.

I could endure it. I would endure it. I must endure it. For him.

Trembling, I took in his scent and clawed myself to his shirt.

»I'm here, sweetheart,« he whispered and when I looked up to his face it was more than blurry. Blinking, I let my head drop against his upper arm.

I had never felt horrible like this, not even back then. This was a new stage. One I hoped to never experience.

A meow caught my attention that wasn't really right here and now.

Coffee sat on the kitchen island and looked after us when we passed her. And if I didn't mistake it, she looked worried. But she was just a cat.

And when I didn't see her anymore, I forgot her completely.

And then the chaos started.

The paramedic put an infusion on me and took my blood on the racy drive. Cas held my hand for the whole drive and Emily was on the other side and tried to lower my temperature with her magic.

Fynn couldn't come with us because there wasn't enough space for him too, which wasn't really good for the young sorceress because she was already wet from all the sweat.

I couldn't tell anymore what all the voices shouted when we arrived at the hospital.

Everything beeped around me and my body felt numb and at the same time nervous as if it wanted to reject something that it couldn't reject.

Something wasn't right at all.

And then I drowned in the darkness that took my pain.

***

Painstakingly I opened my eyes and glanced around, disorientated. »You are finally awake. Thank the moon goddess,« Cassian's voice sounded next to me and I turned my head to him in surprise. The throbbing in my head made me regret my quick movement. Agonized, I twisted my face.

»How long was I knocked out?« I asked quietly because my throat was itching.

The former pain was still there but not as much present anymore as it was before. It was endurable.

»Just a few hours. But your fever didn't go down for the whole time. We can thank Emily and Fynn that they pushed their power into your body the whole time. Right now, you get pumped full with painkillers so your body can somehow endure the pain,« he said with a thin voice, and I sighed.

»Was it ever this terrible in Canada?« he asked carefully.

I saw the fear in his eyes that he left me alone with it back then. The guilt. The self-hate.

Softly I shook my head to deny it. »It was never this bad.«

»Maybe our vacation hadn't been a good idea...«

»Don't say that. The vacation was more than beautiful. We finally bonded, fulfilled our bond. You are mine and I am yours, finally,« I said and lifted his hand to my lips to kiss his knuckles.