Miya Osamu - tick. thump. pt 1

Start from the beginning

He stole a glance at your mom and turned back to you. His eyes glinted with mischief as he leaned closer beside your ear. "We're past the rush. Who's going to notice if you flip the sign to 'closed' for a bit?"

Your mom glared at him and smacked him on the back. "I heard that."

You snorted.

Your dad shrugged and dusted the nonexist dust off his shoulders. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"We'll be back in ten minutes tops," your mom called from the door softly. She turned back to your dad and smacked him on the back. She was furious in a way that didn't matter; her mouth was turned down, but her eyes sparkled with challenge and amusement, something that you learn was specifically reserved for your dad.

Sure you are, you thought to yourself as they left the store. Sure.

You watched your parents walk past the window and the slight annoyance you felt vanished. You knew their bickering was only getting started, neither of them backed down from a fight or disagreement, but it only brought a small smile to your face. You wondered if they were like that when they were younger, when they had just found each other. You could picture them just as clearly as you saw them now.

Tick. Thump. Tick. Thump. Tick.

The first hour went by with only a couple of customers.

Around the second hour, you were considering your dad's suggestion and closing for a bit so you could wander around. What could be the harm? You slid off the chair at the counter and went to the kitchen to make sure all of the appliances were off.

"I told you it was this one!" a boy said. Enthusiasm laced his voice; you could almost hear his smile.

"I didn't tell you you were wrong," a girl's voice followed. "I just thought that it would be another store."

Tick. Thump. Tick. Thump.

So much for your break.

You made your way to the front of the store. "Hi! Welcome —"

Your eyes met the boy's.

An airly, light chime rang through your ears and the ticking slowed to a stop.

Silence, at last.

You saw the moment the boy realised it too. His eyes softened the way your dad had when he looked at your mom — the reassurance of peace, a quiet that only the two of you understood.

You saw him now. He was your age, grey-dyed hair combed over to one side, and his hand carefully intertwined with the girl beside him. Platonic hand holding? you wondered. The girl, who was unaware of the silence, eyed the menu carefully, and pulled the boy closer to her. She brought their intertwined hands to her lips and kissed him as if they were in their own private bubble. Platonic kisses? you thought. You risked a glance at the girl. Everything in her eyes reeked love and the hope for more of it. Nope, your voice echoed, just regular delusion.

The boy glanced at her and then back at you, his mouth agape and his eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Your heartbeat felt out of sync without the clock to keep it in time. Was it always this fast?

"Excuse me?" the girl said.

You built a wall in your mind, melding each brick together until you pulled yourself back from the sight of the girl's grin and their hands together. They're happy. Or, at least, they were happy. Did you leave them in ruins? Did you interrupt a moment?

"Yes?" you said, forcing yourself to look at her with a small smile.

"Could we get one salmon, one okaka, two tuna mayo, and...which one did you want to try again? Osamu?"