Ch. 6: The Yoke's On You

BACK WHERE WE LEFT OFF; SEVERAL HOURS EARLIER...

An amber blur was zooming about the area surrounding Hedgehog's Pass smashing almost every boulder on sight. It leapt into the air and brought a fist down on a boulder three times his size when he stuck his landing, turning it into nothing but splinters. The owner rose up with a sour face, as if unsatisfied.

The hedgehog looked very much like Sonic, only he had ebony fur all over and tufts of white fur on his chest. Red stripes highlighted the backs of his flared up spines, with one going all the way to the halfway point of his forehead. Bits of red outlined the outer corners of his rust eyes, making them appear almost almond-shaped. His gloves and shoes were cuffed in black with red tongues, accompanied by a golden inhibitor ring on each wrist and ankle. The shoes were white from the tips to the vamps, which went to black all the way to the back. The soles with rocket thrusters underneath were outlined thick with red that went all the way to the tops of his heels.

Searching for more boulders, he revved up into a ball and punched the next one, and so on and so forth. He seemed desperate, like he was following an invisible trail, looking for something.

His hover shoes followed his gaze towards probably the largest boulder in the area, like a good six to seven feet tall to measure. He bounded off the ground in an upsurge and literally Hulk-smashed into the enormous hunk of earth.

Once the dust settled, he finally found what he was looking for, floating in midair in front of him.

"Chaos Emerald."

He delicately took the gem and brought it close, the emerald green gleaming in his ruby gaze as he grinned. It may have looked like he was seeking to do evil, but to be truthful, it was perfectly normal.

"There you are."

He raised the Emerald high above his head. "CHAOS CONTROL!"

The ebony hedgehog warped to and ran on the Hedgehog's Pass, now happy (on the inside, at least) with what he'd been looking for, but then a low rumbling made him slide to a halt. The ground was shaking, and thousands of Flickies were evading their homes in the trees. Looking around, he noticed a humongous shockwave of blue aura heading right towards him. He braced himself for impact as the trees around him were blown over.

An image of space, at least what he thought was space, flew into his head. Several fragments of rock were reflecting ghostly luminescent shades of purple that faded out into the void, save for one that was shining bright red. As he drew closer, he saw his own two hands reaching out for the core of the light, which was swirling about in a sphere of electric blue. He'd recognize that speedy pattern anywhere!

His eyes opened after the glitchy blue particles flew over him. His usual stolid expression turned into a scowl.

"Sonic."

A yellow-green light flickered in his spines unexpectedly. Taking it out, the hedgehog stared into the Emerald as it continued flickering, as if it was trying to tell him something urgent.

"What is it?" he asked it, rather gently.

The Emerald pulsed brightly, as if hopeful. Optimistic.

His eyebrows furrowed, not understanding. "Sending help? Look, I don't need help, alright? I can take care--" He growled at himself in a scolding manner.

He knew better. Even though he'd seen the power of the Chaos Emeralds manipulated by darkness before, he knew it didn't mean they weren't able to sense danger; he shouldn't question their judgement.