Ch. 2: Shattered Part 2

SEVERAL HOURS EARLIER... LEAVENWORTH, WA, EARTH

It was just like any other old Christmas Eve.

It was early morning. Willow Thistle had trouble sleeping the other night from just making herself so excited for the two following days that she couldn't sleep anymore. Now she just sat on her red-and-green plaid-covered bed , reading a book while taking a break every now and then to watch the big flakes of snow fall quietly out her window.

Her room wasn't very big, but she certainly knew how to fit a lot of stuff in it. The main space was just her bed, the lean closet in the wall in front of it, her bulletin board, and the worn-out white dresser to the left of where she sat that she had ever since she was a little baby. Her most recent addition was a hand-me-down ivory-colored desk from one of her cousins; Willow had been asking for one for quite some time since all of her three brothers had ones in their rooms. It didn't, however, come with a chair, so she had to use one of her family's yoga balls instead until they could find one.

The choppy mint green-haired girl loved having that desk in her room, now that she could do her homework and all of her art projects there, instead of in the kitchen downstairs. The desk also came with a bookcase, so that's where she now stored all kinds of things like music CDs, souvenirs from the many, MANY trips she'd gone on over her lifetime, rock and seashell collections, and of course -- books, movies, and video games.

The girl loved to engross herself in stories of any kind, from novels to geeky movie/TV marathons to game storylines. The many places she'd go when she couldn't go anywhere, the kinds of people she'd meet, and the many things she would learn along each journey. For her, everything had symbolism and meaning.

Her favorites that she kept in her room, of course, were Kung Fu Panda, Shazam! , The Avengers series, Moana, the Dork Diaries series, the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, and so many more. She also kept a few Super Mario and Pokemon games there, too.

What all these titles had in common? Hard question, it might be at first. Some people might name off adventure, humor, traveling, and superpowers, or just simply... nothing at all.

All of these could be right, but the correct answer was that the main characters didn't fit in... at least at first.

Willow didn't feel like that she ever really fitted in as of late, not since that "conversation" that she wished would have never happened. Now she'd prefer not to talk about it and just let it define herself.

Stories, however, gave her a way to cope with all of this. She felt just like Matilda, the main character of her favorite Roald Dahl novel: that the books she read, the movies that she watched, and the video games that she played all shared the comforting message that she was never alone.

An unexpected knock came from her door while she was only a quarter into Flora and Ulysses, her newest addition to the shelf. Her amethyst eyes perked up in a bit of a worry.

"Come in," she answered loud enough to hear.

The door silently creaked open to reveal  man close to his fifties in dark gray sweatpants. Guess she wasn't the only one who had trouble sleeping, no surprise to her.

"Hi, Dad."

"Hey, sweetie. Thought I saw light from under your door. Seems that you're up early."

"I couldn't sleep."

"Whatcha reading about?" he asked, pointing to the open book in her hands.