Demon Turn Gentleman [Day 16]

Micah was at the Laundromat near his apartment building. Ava had payed him to do her clothes as well while he was doing his as she would be at work all day today."I can't believe I kissed them all on the lips." Placing a hand on his face he dragged it down sighing dramatically."At least they shut up about the whole marriage thing."

"Marriage, already?" An old voice spoke. Looking up he sees Mrs.Oates. Standing from his crouched position he brought his hands out.

"Mrs.Oates lovely to see you. Here let me take that for you." Mrs.Oates handed him her laundry basket and chuckled.

"Oh sweetie, just because I look 100 years old doesn't mean I feel 100 years old." Mrs Oates said as she opened the washing machine.

"Are you 100 years old?" Micah asked.

Mrs.Oates flicked his forehead saying."Sweetie where have your manners gone? Hasn't one of your father never told you to ask a woman for her age?" She took some clothes out of the basket and placed them into the laundry making sure the clothes weren't tangled together.

"Sorry."

"I'm confused don't you have a laundry room in your apartment." Mrs.Oates asked taking the empty basket from Micah's hands and putting it away.

"I do- but uhm." Micah stumbled over his words as he didn't know how to put what he wanted to say in words.

"Avoiding your boy toys?" Mrs.Oates teased.

"Yeah.... Wait-."

"Oh I know, I'm just teasing." Micah sighed in relief before Mrs.Oates spoke again."I'm going to assume those boys live with you."

"Yeah they do... for now." Micah answered shoving his hands in his pockets.

"I figured as much. I hear them yelling a lot of the time. They seem to care about you." Mrs.Oates said fixing her glasses as they slightly fell off her nose.

"Yeah but it seems like they do for their own benefit." Micah sighed shaking his head.

"Most people are kind for different reasons. The entirety of the human race is only nice in hopes that we don't kill each other. We mutually benefit from that. I would assume you aren't kind to those boys unless you're getting something out of it yourself." Mrs.Oates explained

"Huh? I don't-." Micah didn't know what to say looking down at his shoes he thought."Have I been mean to them? If so I can't remember if I have."

Giggling Mrs.Oates spoke."Ever since you've moved into this apartment building I haven't seen you this happy. At some point we have to stop being so stubborn and be honest with our feelings. If you're happy to have friends. You should enjoy them while you have them. Before they leave you."

Micah folded his arms as he imagined them going back to Daemos leaving him on earth all alone, no one to go to but his sister just like in the past. It made his heart hurt and his throat tighten at even just the thought. He shook his head ridding of the thoughts before looking back up to the old woman he was speaking to.

"Have you had friends leave you before Mrs.Oates?" His question came out in nothing but a whisper as he feared if he spoke any louder his voice would crack.

"Hm? Oh plenty. Some because we just faded apart and some because- well, I mean they died." Mrs.Oates said casually. Micah's eyes slightly wider as he bowed his head in shame for asking such question.

"I'm sorry."

"No, no. It happens it's a natural part of life, but my point stands. It's better to have had people who you care about them, to have none at all." Mrs.Oates said as she walked up to Micah motioning him to bend down to her height as she pat his head.