Chapter 67

Delilah ended up attending the soiree with Williamson. Now, Delilah knew last season of all the suitors that chased after Daphne. She had quite a number after herself too. The only problem was Anthony had blocked everyone from getting to both of the girls.

Kate, however, had blocked Williamson and nobody else. It was quite the shock to her when she arrived to see Kate standing to the side while men came and presented a reason as to why they deserved her heart. It was in the utmost of words, rude, in her opinion.

To be so set on keeping one man away was humiliating. Williamson was a prideful man and to see him be ousted by Kate - even though Delilah respected her very much - was disrespectful and spiteful to her.

"Kate." Delilah smiled.

Kate looked over at her, and immediately greeted her with a returned smile, "Delilah!"

The two exchanged a hug then stood next to each other watching the men take a turn at a time presenting to Edwina.

Kate took a breath, "At least it is the men who are making fools of themselves this time."

"Was this your idea?" Delilah asked.

"I wish I could take credit, but no." Kate shook her head, "Lady Danbury encouraged a poetry reading. The men, thanks to their spirit and competition, concocted the rest of this farce on their own."

Delilah chuckled, "Of course they did."

Kate looked at her for a moment, "You are the viscounts significant other, yes?"

"Yes, but do not hold it against me. I love Anthony, but he had quite the reputation before our courtship." Delilah smiled.

Kate nodded, "The fact the viscount is your dearest almost makes me think better of him. As well as Lord Aevery. We certainly should not give them too much credit, now, should we?"

Delilah scoffed, "What?"

"Lord Averey is immature, and acts without thinking. He is one of the most arrogant and impulsive men I have ever had the displeasure of meeting and-"

"And you have taken a charm to him." Delilah shook her head.

Kate looked absolutely stunned. However, Delilah had not regretted a word she said. She firmly believed that no matter how much argumentative nature she witnessed between the two, it was attraction and not hatred.

Kate thought about it for a moment. Everything, the faulty arguments the first day in the woods. There was no way, but was there? No.

"I don't believe you are seeing things clearly Delilah." Kate responded after a moment.

Delilah shook her head again, "If I may point out how long it took you to reply, maybe I am right."

With a curt nod, Delilah gathered her skirts and mushed around the crowd. Standing there in the crowd, Penelope Featherington.

"Penelope." Delilah smiled kindly.

Penelope looked up at her with wide eyes for a moment, before returning her kind smile with a timid one of her own, "Delilah."

"How are you?" Delilah asked, taking a place next to her.

Penelope smiled tenderly, "Oh - alright, I suppose."

Delilah nodded her head, "Understandable. Any updates with Colin?"

"Pardon?"

Delilah laughed softly. It was clear to her how Penelope harbored feelings for the third Bridgerton brother. Delilah recognized herself in Penelope's love stricken eyes and knew exactly how it felt to be invisible to someone you cared about.

"Sorry, I just know how it feels. Before I began my courtship I was a love stricken debutante like the rest of the girls here." Delilah nodded.

Penelope smiled, "I forget you were a debutante, after everything with your mother."

Delilah felt her shoulders drop only slightly, "She did have an impact."

"I'm sorry Delilah.." Penelope mumbled.

"Don't be, Penelope. She was a wonderful woman and mother. I wish to honor her, not bury her in silence." Delilah smiled.

A ruse of clapping sounded throughout the room. Delilah looked over and saw Williamson jump up at the chance he had. Delilah bid her goodbyes to Penelope and took a spot in sight where she could watch Williamson in amusement.

Williamson smiled, and as he began Delilah could picture Anthony up there.

His blue eyes, his charming smile, his-

"The smiles that win, the tints that glow, but tell of days in good spent, a mind at peace with all below, a heart whose love is innocent!" Anthony spoke.

 Delilah looked up, Anthony there in front of her with his blue eyes. Delilah looked at him with all the love in the world, and he returned it right back to her.

As he approached her slowly, she could feel it, she could see it.

"What is it truly to admire a woman? To look at her and feel inspiration. To delight in her beauty. So much that all your defenses crumble, that you would willingly take on any pain, and any burden for her."

Delilah watched as Anthony approached her and bent down onto one knee, and leather ring case popping out of his hand into her eyes.

She could feel the anticipation. Anthony was going to propose.

"Delilah, will you-"