Chapter 22

Delilah had stayed the night at the Bridgerton's when she had fallen asleep in Daphne's bed. The family let her stay, but when she woke up Daphne wasn't there. So she trudged down to kitchen for a glass of milk.

But, when she walked in, Daphne was there.

 "Daphne? Whatever are you doing?" Daphne turned around quickly at the sight of Delilah, but she calmed down quickly. "I could not sleep. I thought a bit of warm milk might help matters."

Delilah nodded her head and walked over to a bell line, "Should I ring for a servant?". Daphne quickly shook her head and drew Delilah away from the bell, "No. No, do not wake them." Delilah nodded her head. The two stood in silence for a moment before Daphne turned back to her, "Would you like to join me?"

Delilah nodded her head with a smile, "We should light it." She motioned to the stove. Daphne nodded her head, "Excellent idea."

Again, they stood in silence.

Daphne turned to Deilah, "Well, go on." She urged. Delilah turned to her best friend with a confused look, "Me?". Daphne nodded, "I should not know how to do it.". Delilah gave her another look, "And you believe I should?".

Daphne gave her a good look, then nodded her head. She stepped back from the stove and poured a glass of milk, "Cold milk, then."

Delilah nodded her head and leaned against the counter across from Daphne. "Most refreshing, given the heat.". Daphne nodded her head drinking her milk, "Mm."

"Can I ask you a question, Lilah?" Daphne spoke up. Delilah looked up into her curious eyes nodding her head. "So long as it has nothing to do with the inner workings of that thing." The two shared a laugh. Daphne calmed herself and looked up at Delilah's soft smile,

"It is about the Duke.". Delilah looked up at Daphne. "What about the duke?"

Daphne looked down at her glass of milk, shaking the white liquid softly. "Well - do you know the reason he is so opposed to marriage?"

Delilah sighed. She knew Simons upbringing was not the same as hers and Daphne's. His father had been harsh, and just once Delilah had even experienced the true harshness of his father.

"Daph-" She shook her head though, "He is one of your closest friends. Surely you must know things."

Delilah gave her a pointed look. "The things I know are surely not for your ears." Daphne scoffed slightly, "How foolish of me to even wonder about such things."

Delilah shook her head though placing her glass of milk next to her. She braced her hands beside her and looked up at Daphne's face. "He barely knew his father. Never knew his mother. Not one sibling, like me. The duke grew up, however, quite different than us, Daph."

"In all the years I have known him, he has never mentioned his so-called family even once. I only know how harsh his father was because I was unfortunate to meet him once. He has spent his entire life alone." Daphne looked at Delilah with guilty eyes. She had not truly known of the duke's upbringing, but she had not expected that.

"How very sad." Delilah shook her head at Daphne, "He prefers it that way."

Delilah then gave Daphne a small smile, "You must not concern yourself with his troubles. You must simply look to the happier moments. If you're meant to be, you will be." Daphne nodded her head at Delilah. They stood there for another moment,

"So, you and my brother?" Daphne asked. Delilah looked up in shock at Daphne's now smug smile, "Thank you, Daphne, for the milk. We shall have to do this again sometime. Goodnight." And she quickly made her way from the kitchens back to the room, leaving Daphne's giggles behind.

I have always thought that an appreciation of the arts is what lifts us beyond mere animals. It stirs the passion and moves the spirit, and, this author hopes, inspires more newsworthy pursuits.

A wing of the Somerset House is to be opened today, where several attractions will be on display..like the lovely Miss Marina Thompson, newly recovered from her mysterious illness and expected to finally rejoin the season.

Of course, there is today's royal attraction as well, Prince Fredrich of Prussia. His highness has come to our shores in want of a fine Fraulein. Could this be the reason a certain language tutor has been seen visiting Cowper house all week?

Delilah was walking around the art gallery in a light pink dress. She let her dark brown ringlets circle around her back and kept a small fan by her side. She stopped in front of a painting where a woman was in the arms of a man. The two were joyous as they danced in the spotlight of a ballroom.

If Delilah had been left alone for a while she could have imagined herself and Anthony in that painting. His arms around her as he twirls her around the floor. Her smile being the reason he would give his own for everyone to see.

"You seem to have an eye for this one." She turned around to face Anthony. He walked to her and placed an arm around her waist. "Yes, it is a beautiful piece." Anthony looked down at her, he smiled softly. "Yes. It is beautiful"

These days the modern young lady must display a miscellany of talents on her quest for a suitor. She must be a witty conversationalist, an accomplished musician, and an expert in the art of the swoon. For managing to faint with nary a petticoat out of place is a most coveted talent indeed.

Of course, not everyone has fallen victim to the royal fever sweeping through London Town. One diamond in particular and one gliding feather seem to be immune. Making this author wonder if the crown has lost its luster.