100K Special

March 1809

16 year old Delilah ran through the halls of the Silvester mansion in a hurry. It was Daphne's 17th birthday. Her best friend had chosen to do a masquerade for her birthday that evening in celebration. It was to be the summer event of the ton.

"Mama!" Delilah screamed happily bursting into her mothers room.

There Mary stood, a younger, healthier Mary who was in the prime of her motherhood. Glowing blonde hair, piercing blue eyes, and a soft smile. She wore a beautiful emerald green dress with gold jewelry.

"Hello darling!" She laughed. Going to greet her daughter in a strong hug the two laughed falling back on to her mothers bed.

"It's Daphne's birthday, which means it's the day of the masquerade!" She giggled in joy.

At this point in time Delilah was a childish spirit still. A trait her mother nurtured throughout her life. It reminded Mary of her father. Mary twisted the ring on her finger softly, she still wore her wedding ring in pride, she could not come to love another man.

"It is, are you ready to get ready darling?" Mary asked.

She watched fondly as Delilah nodded her head in joy.

And so the two got ready.

Curling Delilah's hair and brushing makeup lightly, Mary looked down at her daughter. Delilah in every aspect was her father. Her dark brown hair and silver eyes were distinct traits of the Silvester's. However, her high cheekbones and softer features were her mothers.

But Mary admired her daughter now reflecting on everything. She had watched her daughter grow up by herself with the help of the Bridgerton's mother and the Duchess of Hastings.

 "Come on Delilah, let's get ready." Mary took her daughter's hand and walked with her to Delilah's own bedroom.

Sitting her daughter on the bed she went into her closet and brought out a blue dress with a matching blue mask. Her dress had silver lining the seams where the bodice met the train. Her puffed sleeves were coated in silver and the flowing bottom of the dress had silver lining it.

Her mask was blue with silver studs and as Mary looked over her daughter, it was perfect.

"Come on, Mama!" Delilah squealed, pulling her mother to the carriage.

Arriving at the Bridgerton's house, Delilah put her mask over her face, straightened her back and walked in gracefully. After all, she was looking for someone.

Delilah trailed the party, nobody could tell who anyone was.

Daphne had truly thrown the event of the summer. Everyone in the ton was here. But there was one pair of eyes that Delilah kept looking at.

It was a man a bit older than her. He had deep brown eyes and a sharp jawline but Delilah couldn't quite place her finger on who she kept drawing back to.

"Excuse me." Delilah turned around, the mystery man in front of her.

 "Yes?"

"Would you like to dance?" He asked.

Delilah looked at him for a moment before nodding her head and placing her hand gently in his.

The boy gently pulled her to the floor and placed one hand on his waist, the other holding her hand up. Delilah draped her free hand over his neck.

And the music started.

"You know, I haven't exactly been able to keep my eyes off you, and it seems you haven't either." The boy started.

Delilah looked up with a charming smile, "No. It seems every time I look around I somehow find myself looking right at you."

"Charming?"

"Stalkerish." Delilah giggled.

The boy smiled playfully, "Oh don't be insulting, a girl as beautiful as you, I can't keep my eyes away."

"Then let me correct myself, yes, you are charming."

"Indeed."

Delilah stared for a moment. "Who are you?"

The boy smiled, "Curious?"

"Yes, I'd rather like to know who I'm dancing with." Delilah scoffed.

"It's a masquerade for a reason." The boy smiled.

Delilah frowned, "Yes. But it doesn't change the fact I still would like to know who I am dancing with."

The boy smiled before looking around and leading her into the garden. Just outside where the weren't alone, but just far enough where no one could hear them.

"If I tell you, you must tell me." The boy said.

"Of course."

 But, it wasn't who Delilah was expecting. Once the boy removed his mask in front of her stood Anthony Bridgerton. The older brother of her best friend and who Delilah had ashamedly had a fancy for.

"My lord." She mumbled.

"Don't, I prefer to be called Anthony. Now, remove your mask, as I have done mine." Anthony whispered.

Delilah stared at him for a moment before reaching up to remove her own mask. She looked down as it came off and a new feeling of exposure came about her.

What would he say? His younger sister's best friend, it would be impossible.

"Delilah Silvester." Anthony whispered.

"Anthony Bridgerton." Delilah responded.

She looked up into his eyes, his warm, serene eyes.

Anthony looked down at the girl before him. Delilah was beautiful, she was different. He had realized that now, but she was also Daphne's best friend. His own sister's best friend. But, it couldn't have made a harm could it have?

If he were to just, lean in and-

"Delilah!"

Mary was calling. Delilah spun around and threw her mask back on. She moved quickly leaving Anthony to stand there alone watching the girl run back to her mother as she was called back to the party.

 In Anthony's mind, something had changed that night. But he would forget that memory. He would forget his first time seeing Delilah as more than family was at a masquerade. And he would forget that the blue and silver trails that Delilah left behind were her.

But, Delilah did not.

And in truth, that is where this story truly started.