Chapter 25

Anthony had been avoiding his office for the past few days. Siena had caught wind of his and Delilah's courtship and she was not happy. Still requesting his attention and trying to wedge herself into his life. But he would have no more. He had dined with Delilah earlier that night and was on his way to the opera house to say goodbye once and for all.

Once he arrived he escorted himself through the all too familiar hallway as he approached the opera singers room. When he arrived he knocked twice, and walked in.

When she looked up, her face was at first joyful. Anthony had come back, he had taken her up on her letters. But, it quickly changed when she saw his solemn expression.

"To what do I owe this unexpected visit?" She asked timidly. "I wanted to make something very clear to you, Siena." Her name felt foreign on his tongue now. It wasn't like the other times where he would say it as they commenced in scandalous activities. It was repulsive. He wanted to forget it.

"Leave me and Delilah alone." She looked up with tearful eyes. "Anthony-"

He shook his head. "You address me as Lord Bridgerton." He looked down at her once more before turning on his heel. He loved Delilah. He did not seek interest in Siena anymore, and it was time she had let go.

-----

Delilah was in Daphne's room getting ready with her for the ball tonight. However there was something different about Daphne's demeanor. She held herself differently, the gleam in her eyes was replaced with a different one. She seemed more closed off, almost angry.

"You can put that dress away, Rose."

Delilah turned her head to Daphne as she spoke to her hand maid. Why was she requesting the dress be put away? Had something happened that Daphne had not told her of? Even Daphne's maiden, Rose, had looked up at her in confusion.

"Are we not attending the ball this evening?" Delilah asked her best friend. Daphne turned to her with a shake of her head. "No, we are, but I shall wear the white and silver dress instead. I think we should match tonight, Delilah."

She turned back to Rose and walked over to her vanity. "And will you do my hair just the way you like with the circle of jewels and flowers?"

Rose nodded quickly and skipped over happily to Daphne. "Of course. You will look perfect."

Delilah shook her head in confusion sitting on Daphne's bed. What had caused this change in Daphne's demeanor. Daphne nodded her head at Rose however, "Good. That is what they want."

Delilah shook her head and exited the room after excusing herself. She walked down towards the Bridgerton study where Anthony sat at the desk. She walked around and placed her hands on his shoulder. He leaned back into her touch.

"Will you be joining us at tonight's ball, Anthony?" She spoke quietly, leaning down to place her chin on his shoulder. Anthony brought a hand up to meet Delilah's and turned his head slightly to kiss it. "I have accepted the invitation."

Delilah nodded her head looking down as he checked a watch on his wrist. His fathers. She hadn't seen it in a long time, not since his unfortunate death. "What time do you have?"

Anthony glanced up confused. "What?"

"The time." Delilah motioned down to the watch, "You were just checking your fathers old watch when I caught you, yes?" She asked.

Anthony sighed, glancing down at the watch. The garden, the bee, his collapsing, his mother wailing, Delilah's soft eyes ringing out in all of the chaos all those years ago. "It is a lovely heirloom."

Delilah nodded her head.

"It's a quarter till, Delilah." Anthony glanced up at her eyes. She was smiling softly, so her eyes lit up in a way that made them look like diamonds. His own eyes softened at the sight.

"It's quite late, indeed. Well, let me know when you are ready darling. Time, as we both know, is certainly of essence." She gave one kiss to his cheek and exited the room. Anthony looked at where she had exited and glanced down at the watch.

Was his father proud of him? He was in a courtship with someone his father had always thought of as his daughter. Their fathers had been best friends and Deilah had lost hers around the same time they had lost theirs. Even though they had different deaths. The impact led the mothers to be closer, which in turn created a bond between the children.

Delilah's mother. She was at the end of her life, Anthony was preparing for the impact it would have on Delilah. It was only so long before she would be alone. But Anthony would not let that happen, not as long as he was there.

He sighed and gathered his jacket, he exited the house and entered the carriage with Delilah, Daphne and his mother. '

Delilah and Daphne were matching. They both looked beautiful. But in Delilah's mind she was worried. Why was Daphne acting so formal? She didn't know what was going on, but something told her the duke might have done something he would regret.

Upon entering the ball Daphne entered with her mother. Delilah entered with Anthony. Delilah had been watching Daphne ever since she entered, but her eyes had not immediately drifted to the duke, instead they were upon the prince.

"Miss Bridgerton, I simply must have your first dance." Daphne nodded her head with a soft smile, placing her hand in the princes. "It would be an honor, Your Highness."

Delilah's eyes were wide. Anthony at that point was looking down at her in concern. But her mind was running wild, what was going on? Just the other night at the last event she had been attached to the hip of the duke. What on earth had happened?

Could it be true? That the season's diamond even more precious and rare a stone than previously thought? For it now appears this treasure is set to join the likes of the queen's ever-so-cherished crown jewels themselves.

The Duke of Hastings, I hear, was left looking rather tongue-tied last night, as Miss Bridgerton seems to have finally grown tired of waiting for him to pose an all-important question. OR perhaps, the young miss has simply traded up.

Surprising? Quite.

Unreasonable? Of course not.

After all, why settle for a duke when one can have a prince?