Chapter 56

Delilah had ventured over to grab a drink when she overheard the Sharma sisters talking to one another.

"I know that gentlemen."

"Who?"

"I believe he is a lord."

Delilah turned around and came next to them. "Hello, Delilah Silvester, nice to meet you both."

Both turned and smiled.

"Hello. I'm Edwina Sharma, pleasure." She introduced.

Delilah smiled at the younger girl, "It's a pleasure to meet you as well. I heard you talking about Lord Averey, I was just curious."

"Oh, yes, I don't believe I've made an introduction." Edwina admitted.

"Of course." Her older sister said, "My mistake."

Delilah shook her head, "Nonsense, he's overrun by girls who are not nearly good enough. He has expectations for a suitor and I promise none of those girls would catch his attention."

The older sister smiled at her, "Kate Sharma."

"Delilah Silvester. However, Miss. Sharma, you have quite an eye." She turned to the younger sibling.

"How so?" Edwina asked.

"Lord Averey is wealthy, well-connected, and from a very illustrious family. I'm hosting his season, he's apparently hoping to marry this season, he may very well be our most eligible bachelor, indeed." Delilah explained.

"He is very handsome." Edwina fawned.

"Yes." Kate nodded. "I suppose he is."

"Well, good evening ladies, Lord Corning is coming and even though he is respectable. He is not Lord Averey." Delilah bid her goodbye and made a smooth exit from the conversation.

-----

Lord Averey escaped finally after dealing with many different girls who either showed off too much chest or flaunted their skills too much.

"Averey!" A man called. "I owe you a drink!"

"Whatever for?" Williamson asked.

"With you as the prize catch of the season, the rest of us shall receive a respite from the marriage-minded mamas this season, indeed."

 Enjoy your freedom while it lasts." Williamson frowned, "You, too, will soon submit to this ridiculous rigmarole of courtship. Squiring every eligible miss around town until you're barely able to see straight."

The man chuckled, "Is one lady unlike any other? Simply pick the least objectionable and get her wed, bed, and bred. Then you can return to the more pleasurable pursuits, and more pleasurable partners."

Williamson chuckled, "You may be cavalier, but if I must leg-shackle myself in marriage, the lady in question should have more to recommend her."

"Do not tell us you are hoping for a love match?"

"Love is the last thing I desire. But if my children are to be good of stock, then their mother must be of impeccable quality. A pleasing face, an acceptable wit, genteel manners enough to credit a lady. It should not be hard to find." Williamson explained.

"And yet, the debutantes of London fall short at every turn." The man commented, "You want the best. Perhaps the queen will finally name a diamond. Save you some trouble. At least, of choosing her."

Another man spoke up, "Wooing the piece will be a different story, indeed."

Williamson smirked, "I shall have no problem there."

All the men share a chuckle.

"Smoking room, gentlemen?" The first man spoke again.

"I shall be there anon." Williamson nodded.

As the men left he heard a twig snap, "Someone there?" He called.

Williamson turned to the garden, "I can hear y-" He stumbled upon the woman from the forest, "you."

"Pardon me, my lord." The woman spoke.

"I never got your name. I was wondering if we'd meet again." Williamson asked.

The woman scoffed, "So you might discern if my wit is acceptable, manners genteel?"

"You were eavesdropping?"

"It was hardly an effort," The woman shrugged, "seeing as you were proclaiming your many requirements for a wife loud enough for the entire party to hear."

Williamson scoffed, "You take issue with them?"

The woman frowned, "I take issue with any man who views women merely as chattels and breeding stock."

"None of that was meant-"

"Lord Averey, yes?" The woman asked. "When you manage to find this paragon of virtue, whatever makes you think she will accept your suit? Are the young ladies of London truly so easily won by a pleasing smile and nothing more?"

Williamson smirked, "So you find my smile pleasing?"

"I find your opinion of yourself entirely too high. Your character is as deficient as your horsemanship. I shall bid you goodnight." The woman dismissed.

Williamson watched as she walked past him and back into the party. And he thought back to his conversation with the men. He should have not said those things. He wished he had not said those things.

But, that woman was entirely rude. And even though he found her captivating and beautiful and mysterious. Attitude was not sufficient in her personality. For him, that would not do.