The Duke and I - Chapter 32

One may say modesty is a virtue, yet this author is hardly a virtuous woman. It is therefore my greatest pleasure to announce the news others questioned, but I never doubted.

The diamond of the season has made her match, officially betrothed to the Duke of Hastings.

Of course, there are only two reasons to procure a special license and race to the altar: true love, or concealing a scandal.

Delilah sat with the girls of the Bridgerton house more often now. With Daphne engaged to Simon, there would be a tremendous wedding. The event of the season some liked to call it. And though Delilah was certainly happy with the results, her mind wanted to think that maybe one day Anthony would ask for her hand.

"How does it feel, sister, to be in love?" Hyacinth asked.

"Imagine leaping off a cliff and shattering on the ground." Eloise answered. Delilah looked over at her. She knew Eloise oppressed the idea of marriage. Eloise wanted to go to school like the men of their town, but sadly the present just didn't allow for such things.

"I am afraid I cannot find the words, dear Hyacinth." Daphne said. She then turned to Eloise, a pointed look her sister was becoming more and more used to now, "Though, Eloise, I believe you will know what love feels like soon enough next season."

Eloise scoffed, "You think I am to follow in your footsteps? Can there be a more dreadful fate?"

Daphne's look turned into a glare. Delilah could only sit back with a sigh, the two were so very different. However they both were stubborn. She supposed that was a natural trait that came with being a Bridgerton, Anthony was the same way.

"You do know I am setting the standards for your future matches, yes? You should be grateful." Daphne argued. Eloise shook her head.

"The only thing I am grateful for is that I am not you, nor will I ever be."

Daphne looked slightly shocked at her sister. Delilah even spared a glance at the girl, she could be blunt, that Delilah knew. But it wasn't in her nature to attack her sisters to that personal level. Even if she refused to marry.

The mood changed quickly though when a servant came in with news of a visitor. Delilah had been scolding Eloise, so when Prince Fredrich came around to the room. Delilah quickly scooped Hyacinth and Eloise out of the room. And when she exited she turned to Eloise.

"Eloise, you did not mean that did you?" Delilah asked lightly. Eloise looked up at her with guarded eyes. She then scoffed and looked down at her shoes.

"Of course not, Daphne is a wonderful sister. We just have very different wishes." Eloise responded quietly.

One thing Delilah had always loved about the family was the closeness surrounding them. Their family loved each other, every sibling having their own special bond with one another. They even acted as if Delilah were a natural born Bridgerton.

But she also knew the family had arguments. For Daphne and Eloise, it was the marriage mart. Eloise didn't want to be married. But, deep down, Delilah knew that Eloise knew that she had to get married. It was how their society worked. All she could hope for was a love match, so she could still do the things she loved freely.

"I don't want to scold you Eloise. But, you know what Daphne said was partially true. You will be in the season next year, and you will need to find a husband. And with everything in my for your sake and mine. I do hope you find a love match." Eloise looked up at Delilah.

It was moments like these that Eloise knew why Anthony had chosen to court her. Delilah was mature and playful. Smart, and innocent. She was mixed with the personality of Daphne and Eloise, but had a more structured nature about her. She knew exactly when to speak up, and when not to. It was something Eloise had loved about her.

-----

Delilah had been in the Silvester study when Anthony walked in that day. She had been cramped over the recent bills and hurrying to finish this month's taxes.

"Goodness, Delilah. You have the whole room mapped out in papers." Anthony's voice came through. Delilah sprung up in her chair to meet his amused eyes.

"Yes. Well, Mama's doctors need to be paid. The modiste needs to be paid. And a couple of other things need to be checked off. I wanted to get it done." Delilah said as she sat down back in her chair.

Anthony came around and placed his hands on her shoulders, rubbing them tenderly. "How is Mary?" He asked softly.

Delilah sighed in her chair, "Doing as well as she can right now. Mama probably won't live to the end of the season, I'm trying to spend as much time with her as I can."

Anthony nodded and lightly squeezed her shoulders. He knew it would be hard for her, after the death of her father, Delilah and her mother had grown impossibly close. The death of her father. Anthony knew he died, but he didn't know the details. He looked down at Delilah's features. 

"How did he die?" Anthony asked softly.

Delilah looked up at Anthony. She looked over to the portrait of her father looking down over the study. If she looked hard enough she could almost imagine him looking straight at her, alive. She took a deep breath, her eyes trailing to Anthony.

"It was quick. It took him quick. He was frail, he had health issues much like mama now. The day your father passed away, me and mother were the ones at the estate with your family, in the country. My father was supposed to join us two weeks later. But when word got back to him. His heart couldn't handle it." 

Delilah looked down at the detailing adorning her fathers desk.

"He died of heart attack. The shock was too much. But later, it came back to us that his heart was already giving out. You're fathers passing becoming the tip of a hefty iceberg."

Anthony looked down at her. He dropped to his knees in front of her face. He could now clearly see the tears had sprung out around her eyes. Anthony brought his hands up to wipe her tears, and placed a soft kiss to her lips.

"I promise, you will never have to be sad again."