Chapter 44

Dearest reader, a question.

Is anything more exhilarating than taking a gamble? For it is often the highest risk that carries the greatest reward. Yet, wager wrongly, and you might find yourself left with nothing but regret.

One can never know for sure whether a wager will make a fortune or ruin it, unless one choses a more secure pursuit. But as the season continues, the biggest gamblers have yet to truly show their hand which leaves gossip in short supply in recent days.

Of course, the only other astonishing couple is blossoming soundly, yes, Miss. Delilah Silvester and her courtship to Anthony Bridgerton. A handsome couple indeed. However, it leaves little to the tongue.

In fact, this author can think of no other event that merits a mention.

It is a worthy note, however, that the Duke and Duchess of Hastings have yet to entertain callers together. Only newlyweds are no doubt still secluded in nuptial bliss. Who could fault them? And who could be surprised if their diligent efforts are rewarded with a new arrival within the year?

Delilah was back with Marina again. She had to admit, Miss. Thompson was a lovely girl, the two had been seen together on multiple occasions within each other's home so as to not draw attention. But, Delilah came with results from the general today.

"I wrote to General Langham, and I have told him all about Sir George. If he is a man of honor-"

"You wrote to the general?" Marina asked.

"Yes." Delilah nodded.

"And did the viscount sign his name as well on this letter? Or the duchess, you two are friends." Marina pressed.

"Well, no." Delilah sighed softly.

"But-"

"Marina, what is it?" Delilah asked.

"The general will not concern himself to write back to you, Delilah." Marina said.

Delilah frowned at Marina, "You do not know that.He will pay attention to the words of a respected lady. He must."

But Marina shook her head, she was insistent on it. "Are you so unworldly?" She asked.

Delilah looked at her in shock. Marina was pleasant, but when her temper took a hold of her words, she was a brash woman. Marina must have realized it too.

"I'm sorry. I - your help was greatly appreciated, but there is nothing more you can do." Marina said shortly.

"Marina-"

"It is over. I have already accepted the fact. Thank you for your efforts." Marina dismissed.

Delilah sighed. She walked back to her carriage and was dropped off at the Bridgerton house. She disappeared into the study where Anthony greeted her with strong arms and a soft kiss to the head while Delilah leaned her weight against his chest, head falling on his shoulder.

"Hello, love." Anthony greeted.

"Hello." Delilah whispered.

Delilah reached in for a kiss. Anthony greeted her with welcome arms. "Get ready for the concert, my love. I'll be escorting you." He mumbled giving her a kiss before realising her.

Delilah nodded and began to walk to the door. She was escorted in the Silvester carriage to her estate. She walked up the stairs and to her mothers room. Walking in she found her mother reading a book, she looked slightly healthier, but still sick and pale. 

"Mama." Delilah greeted. 

Her mother looked up at her. "Hello, darling. Is the concert tonight?" She asked. 

Delilah nodded. "Yes, I was just about to go find a dress to bring in here so that I may get ready." She turned to her mothers vanity where many of Delilahs makeup and accessories rested. She tended to get ready in her mothers room in recent days. 

"No need." Her mother said, "Go to my closet, pull out the dark blue gown. It would look perfect for tonight." 

Delilah looked at her mother before walking over and pulling out the dress her mother instructed she pull. Delilah gasped. It was truly beautiful.

A dark blue silk gown with silver gems sewed into floral patterns  along the bottom of the dress. Delilah put the dress on behind the changing screen and when she came out. Her mothers smile made her appear years younger. 

The dress fit her perfectly. And it made her eyes appear a washed blue instead of their silvery appearance. But, under certain light the silver still showed. Delilah twisted her hair up and placed her usual tiara against the front. She went to pick up her neckless but her mothers hand in the glass stopped her. 

"Use mine." She said. Delilah turned to her mothers neckless. It was a family heirloom passed down through the mothers to their daughters. 

"Mama-"

"No, Delilah. I am dying, and it is time to give it to you. My final act as your mother. I love you darling, now come give me a kiss and go to the concert." 

Delilah did as she was told. She centered the neckless and moved to give her mother a kiss. She said her farewells and got in her carriage back to the Bridgerton household.

She was headed for the the study, before she paused and made her way to another room.

 Colin's room.

"I want to apologize." Delilah said coming in. Colin looked over at her.

"Are there locusts in the street? Blood in the Thames?" Colin asked. They both cracked a smile. But Delilah sighed.

"I may have been a trifle harsh with you. And I'm sorry." She muttered.

"You merely wished to protect me from my more foolish impulses." Colin smiled.

"So you admit it now?" Delilah asked him, "You were acting a fool?"

Colin laughed slightly, "As apologies go, this is certainly novel."

Delilah only shook her head with a smile of her own, "Hush, you."

Colin and Delilah laughed.

"You may hurt now, but the pain will pass. You have all the love of your family, and me. And, the honor of your actions. Soon you will forget Miss. Thompson's name and it will be as if you never loved her at all." Delilah sighed.

"And how have these precepts served you?" Colin asked.

"Aside from being the most dismal, troubling ones I've heard in quite some time. It's a work in progress, to be sure."