Chapter 35

The party had moved to the Bridgerton house. The room was decorated beautifully. Daphne and Simon were on opposite sides of the room greeting and socializing with guests separately. Delilah was circling the room, she had been emotional that day.

"Delilah." She turned quickly to meet Anthony's gaze. "Anthony."

"What are you doing all alone?" He asked coming to wrap his hand around her waist.

"She's married. Younger than me by only two weeks, yet married before me. My best friend...a duchess." Delilah's eyes trailed over to Daphne.

"Darling, you will be married soon as well." Anthony said, spinning Delilah in his arms. "I may not have proposed to you yet, but I am taking my time. Now that your deal is terminated and our love is truly real. I want to make the most of it."

"Love?" Delilah whispered out.

"Yes. I love you, Delilah Silvester."

Delilah smiled and brought her hand up to meet Anthony's cheek. Yes, she did love him. She loved every bit of him.

"I love you too, Anthony Bridgerton."

-----

Later Delilah was in Daphne's room with Violet and the bride. She was packing Daphne's belongings. And sneaking in snacks, and other little trinkets that Daphne would remember from their childhood jokes.

"I know it must be very difficult leaving this house." Violet spoke to her daughter. The two were sitting on the love seat at the foot of Daphne's bed.

"I have many memories here."

"And you will make new ones with your husband." Violet chuckled.

Daphne sat there in a daze, her own chuckle cutting short as her eyes drifted into space. "Ah, my husband. Seems so strange to finally be able to say that."

Violet chuckled softly too. Delilah sealed off Daphne's trunk and came to sit on the other side of Daphne. Violet paused for a second, glancing between the two girls. She smiled, then grabbed Daphne's hand. The two girls traced their focus to Violet.

"I suppose I have put this conversation off for as long as I can." Violet smiled nervously.

"On my wedding night, I insisted Cook bring out round after round of food, in part because I did not want the celebration to end, but..." Her eyes trailed off. It was like she was embarrassed to look the two girls in the eyes.

Delilah furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. Did this have to do with what Anthony explained,

"...It is a natural continuation of what happens at night..."

Then Violet's voice peaked back through, "If I must confess, I was also quite apprehensive..on my wedding night."

Violet laughed softly to herself, shifting in her seat.

"In fact, I was quite full by the time we got to Aubry Hall. I certainly do remember that."

"Well, what do you recommend, Mama?" Daphne asked.

Violet cleared her throat and then finally looked up at Daphne's eyes, her confused, innocent, eyes. "I know you and the duke - well, whatever took place between the two of you..you may know some things already."

Daphne shook her head, "I know nothing I assure you."

Violet nodded her head, and took a larger breath.

"Well, there are some things you ought to know. Some things will happened that involve you and your husband...the duke, obviously. Well, he..you see..the marital act, which, you may perform..."

Daphne looked at her mother with wide eyes. Delilah's were as well. Violet was always very good about speaking to her daughter and explaining things. What on earth could have Violet this flustered.

"If it is this difficult to discuss, how difficult must it be to perform?" Delilah asked.

"It is not, dearest. It is most natural. Much in a way like rain soaks a field in autumn, and in spring, flowers grow." Violet shifted again in her seat.

"When you were younger, do you remember, we had two hounds in the country? Basses in fact!"

Delilah nodded her head at the memory of the two little dogs running around, her and Delilah used to chase them. And while they chased the dogs, the boys would chase them.

"Well, no one explained it to them, but there were puppies." Violet explained.

Daphne nodded her head, "I see. So..so this act, it is performed to have children?"

"Yes!" Violet laughed. But Daphne's face fell. And so did Delilah's. According to Daphne the duke physically could not have children. Daphne would never know the memory of being a mother.

"What if the duke cannot have children? Does that prevent them from performing this act at all, from them even having a wedding at all?" Delilah asked again.

"The two of them care for each other deeply. When all is said and done, nothing else matters. There is no reason to be concerned." Violet assured

"I still have so many questions, Mama."

But there was no time. A knock at the door sounded. "They are bringing the carriages around." One of the maids called.

Delilah sighed. "It is time."