An Affair of Honor - Chapter 26

Delilah looks down to Daphne in shock at her encounter towards the prince. Where was Simon, he was always the one to escort her around these balls. Something had happened, that much Delilah knew. The conditions of what had happened, Delilah did not.

"Anthony, where is the duke?" Delilah looked up to the man beside her for a moment, but her gaze quickly fell back in line with Daphne. Anthony knew she was concerned about Daphne. Her eyes hadn't let her best friend's figure disappear for very long.

"I don't know darling." Delilah looked up at him for a moment, concern present on every feature she held. Her eyes displayed it the most however. Their natural silver losing its usual shine. That is until a gasp sounded about the room.

Delilah turned quickly to Daphne and saw a gift being presented from the prince himself. Delilah let out her own silent scoff.

A necklace. A beautiful necklace, Daphne would have worn it beautifully. But Delilah could see the glimmer of regret in her eyes, she wanted the duke. Even if she would not admit it, Delilah knew.

"Good heavens.." Delilah whispered.

In a town full of ambitious mamas and fortune-hunting gentlemen, marrying above one's station is a form of art, indeed. But Miss Daphne Bridgerton's advance from future duchess to possible princess is an achievement that even this jaded author must applaud.

Delilah sat in the drawing room with the women of the Bridgerton household. She had not spoken to Daphne in spite of her transgression from the duke to the prince. But, Daphne seemed blind to it as she continued to talk normally to Delilah.

"Is it true? Am I to be the sister of a princess?" Hyacinth asked. Delilah looked over with a hard smile, she hoped she was not the only one concerned with Delilah's sudden change in interest.

"Calm yourself." Delilah said softly.

Daphne turned to her sister, "I am not yet engaged to the prince." She said, "Will you wear a crown?" Hyacinth asked again.

Daphne sighed, tuning to her vanity, "Perhaps for special occasions, but only if I should marry the prince."

"Will you have to learn Russian?"

Delilah turned to Hyacinth with a chuckle, "It is German." She then spared a glance at Daphne. "Perhaps she will however, but only if she were to marry the prince." Delilah caught Daphne's eye. Tension, they hadn't ever had big arguments. But Delilah knew Daphne would never truly be happy with the prince, even if she had yet to acknowledge that.

Hyacinth looked back at her sister, "Will you have to move to a castle far, far away?"

"Should you not be off with your governess somewhere?" Daphne sighed looking at her youngest sister. Hyacinth only nodded her head but didn't move. "I should. My governess has the very same questions as me!"

Daphne groaned inwardly and sighed, turning back to her vanity. Delilah only laughed and stood to begin brushing Daphne's hair. They weren't truly mad at each other. 

Delilah leaned down to her ear and looked at her face through the mirror, "Will you wear sparkly dresses?" She taunted.

"Lilah!"

----------

Hello!

Thank you everyone for reading. This book has hit more and more readings and I know at this point every other chapter has me thanking you guys for the success. But when your a regular person like me with people reading from who knows where. It's a big accomplishment.

Thank you everyone,

-Fluffycow54