Chapter 34

Delilah had stayed another night at the Bridgerton's after spending the day with Daphne and the younger girls. The three of them had taken as much time as they could to make memories before Daphne's departure with the duke. Delilah especially taking every moment into photos so one day she would share them as stories.

She walked down the hallway and into Daphne's room. When she opened the door, Daphne sat there staring out the windows.

Delilah walked forward, shutting the door behind her. "Daphne?"

She brought a soft hand to her shoulder, "Daphne?"

Daphne gasped and turned to Delilah. Her breath softened upon realizing it was only her best friend. "Delilah."

"Is everything alright?" Daphne asked. She took a seat next to Daphne, bringing her hand back into her own lap.

"I cannot sleep." Daphne sighed.

"It's late for you to be up, is it not?" Delilah asked softly.

Daphne took a deep breath and shuddered softly. She leaned her head on Delilahs, "There is much to be done, Lilah."

Delilah wrapped her arm around the shaking girl. She assumed Delilah must have been sitting for a while, and with no fire going, the chill of the night air approached quickly.

"If you're nervous about the wedding, you need not worry. I assure you, the maids are handling everything."

"I will be ready." Daphne assured. Delilah nodded her head, "I know you will."

Daphne shook her head though, she turned her body to face Delilah and hung her head. "Rose is not the one I worry about." She took a breath, "The duke." Daphne muttered.

"Has he asked to beg off, Daphne?"

"No." Daphne answered hurriedly. "But he may wish to..."

Delilah shook her head. She didn't know where it was coming from, but from all the stories she had heard it must have been wedding nerves.

"Every man entertains doubt before the day, I rather think, but it does not signify. He will be a good husband to you. I've known him for years, he will take wonderful care of you. And even if he doesn't want children-"

"He cannot have children, Delilah."

Delilah looked down at Daphne's now quivering form. "Daphne?"

"I shall not pretend to understand to understand the extent of his physical impediment, but I imagine it is a source of great pain for the duke, indeed."

Daphne shook with tears in Delilah's arms. "Daphne..."

"I shall not keep you, Delilah. You must be doing your own share of tasks for the wedding." Daphne quieted herself.

Daphne turned herself into her bed. Seeking desolate comfort in the warmth of a silk sheet. Her shuddering was hooded beneath the covers. Delilah looked over at her friend. She sighed however, when Delilah got up to leave she took one last look before disappearing out the door.

-----

The wedding. The whole town was in attendance. It was the biggest wedding of the season. Delilah was adorned in a light blue dress, the Bridgerton's signature color. When she entered the church on that day, her eyes were glossy.

She walked swiftly to the Bridgerton's assembled at the front few columns in the church. As she approached, Anthony turned to her. "Delilah..".

His eyes trailed her figure. He had only ever dreamed of her adorning the Bridgerton colors. Of course however, she was adorning a pin in her hair with a silver rhinestone. Anthony had only recalled seeing it once. Her mother had worn it to her fathers funeral.

"Anthony." Delilah smiled. He took her hand in his. His hand trailed the Rhinestone in her hair. "It's beautiful."

"A family heirloom, one of few still in my family. It descended my mom's line. I wanted to wear it so I still had silver measuring my features." Delilah explained.

"Of course, dear, you look beautiful. Come sit."

Delilah smiled as she took her seat next to Anthony.

Then the doors opened.

Daphne was graceful, elegant, and beautiful. Her white dress was fitted perfectly to her figure. And her hair was done wonderfully. Delilah watched as her best friend walked down the aisles. Memories from her life flashed in her head.

Meeting Daphne, running the mud, fake tea parties, crushing on different years potential suitors. And now, watching her walk down the aisle to her future.

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered to join together this man and this woman in holy matrimony. It is said that marriage hath in it less of beauty but more of safety than the single life."

Delilah sat in tears as the preacher went on. Daphne had grown up, and Delilah could only watch.

"..In the name of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen. I now pronounce you man and wife."