Chapter 2 - Farewell

Start from the beginning

Realization settles in me. That's why no one has heard from Octavius.

"Your father is dead?" My voice is softer now feeling slightly scared to speak out of line. Dead parents tend to be a sensitive subject and given his current mood I doubt I should push my luck.

"Yes, so show your King and mate respect." He's clearly running out of patience. It also seems clear that he's more pissed off about the fact that I'm trying to deny him as my mate than the death of his father.

Even though it's awful, I can't help but be happy that King Octavius is dead. He was a threat to my existence. I try to contain my smile.

But then my blood runs cold in an instant, and the fleeting joy I've discovered evaporates as swiftly as it emerged.

My mate is the son of the last person who killed a white wolf.

And again, I panic.

I don't know what to do.

I can't run.

I can't shift.

I can't be his mate.

My heart beats faster again, I can hear it pound in my ears.

He looks intensely at me as he analyses my body language. He must hear it too.

My brain is hurting trying to find a loophole out of this. That's when I find it.

I once heard about a man who rejected his mate, it is supposed to be very painful but maybe I can reject him. It feels like my only choice.

"I don't want you as my mate." My heart pinches a little when I say that. And Legion looks at me like he wants to kill me. In three quick steps he's in front of me. The scent of him is slowly repairing my heart again. Then he lifts me in a swift movement and throws me over his shoulder.

At first I'm dumbfounded, but then I look at my surroundings, which isn't a lot. His back, the ground, and that's it!

"What are you doing, put me down!" I sound weird and raspy upside down, but I believe my point comes across.

He begins to walk away with me. "What are you doing?" And even though I know it's going to hurt, I say, "I reject y-"

In a quick thud I'm on the snowy ground. Thankfully he dropped me in a thick pile of snow and not an ounce of pain came with the fall, almost as if on purpose... "You can't reject me, you are mine." He looks like he is on the verge of going on a killing spree. But instead of killing anyone he chooses a different unexpected approach.

He kneels in front of me and grabs my hand. Electricity runs through us, connecting us and it feels as if this is what I've been missing my entire life. I've been missing him.

My heart warms up and is pulled towards him again. Our eyes light up. He places my hand on his heart, I look him in the eyes that are slightly covered by his black hair. He looks vulnerable, hurt even, I don't want him hurt, and I don't know why. I just know that I can feel his sadness somehow. His sadness is deep... it's real.

"You're mine and I'm yours." His voice breaks a little, it's barely noticeable but I hear it nonetheless.

His heart has the same rhythm as mine now. He looks into my eyes. "What's your name?" His voice is soft.

I take a deep breath and answer feeling responsible for his sadness. "Willow Ashen."

"Willow Ashen." He speaks my name with such ease it sounds perfect when he says it. I want him to say it again.