Chapter 28

A lady in a lavender pants suit was called to the pulpit. I didn't catch her relation to the deceased. I sat in the back of the church with Terry clued beside me. I kept my eyes in front of me while Terry's eyes were all over the place. I pray she didn't see Tafari or his baby mother.

The lady sobbed as she read. "And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away."

She had a British accent. I knew she had to be a family member. Tafari had mentioned that his Dad's side of the family lived in England.

Terry nudged me, "see you hot cock deh gyal!"
"Him look good thou"
"Shirt colour deh fit him"

"Girl you are in church" I responded through closed teeth.

Terry frowned. "But see ya, suh nuh God mek cock?"

I ignored her. Terry did not know how to conduct her self. That was the side effect of her bubbly personality.

Terry was silent for about 10 minutes before she spoke again. "Gyal see the baby mumma deh!"

I didn't look and so Terry nudged me again, "Look nuh! She inna the brown frock"
"She cyaa look like you a rass!"
"Hehe, look like somebody tan far and fling the braids inna fi har head"

Terry clasp her hands.
"Tikka nah left you fi that a rass"

I wanted to leave. This was a bad idea.

"Look pon the gyal Staci!"
"Make she know you deh yah and nah left!"

Terry was a rebel. She was always like this since primary school. It didn't matter who you were or how big you were, Terry wasn't going to back down from you. Me on the other hand, was always noble and meek. A snake in the grass they called me.

"Gyal Tikka see you!" Terry nudged me again.
"Claat him a come over yah!"
"Yes sah, wife a wife!"

My heart pounded in my chest, 'please God let this not be true'

I tried to look through the corner of my eyes. He was indeed coming. He wore a dark shades so I couldn't see his eyes to know if he was crying.

When he got close to us Terry moved to allow him to sit beside me. Darn you Terry!
Tafari sat beside me for what felt like forever before he spoke.
"Rate you fi this still"

I flinched

"Think you never did ago forward" he continued.

"How are you?" I sighed and asked him.

"Me a nawmal man"
"Part a life you nuh"

I nodded, unsure of what to say next.

Tafari sat beside me in silence for the entire service. I felt awkward. I wasn't use to the silent treatment from him but this wasn't the time nor place to beg for his forgiveness.

"Can the pall bearers come forward please" the pastor spoke.

I timidly touched Tafari's arm, "you ago alright?" I asked and he nodded and let out a breath.

"I'm here for you ba..." I was about to say babe but thought better of it.

"We link" Tafari mouthed and got up.

My heart sank. Not just because he spoke to me with no emotions but because he had to go through our situation while burying his brother. I hated myself for what I put him through.

"Don't cry mama" Terry slid close to me and caressed my arm.
"You did well and you guys are going to be good"

I didn't take my eyes off Tafari. He held a side of the casket and hung his head down. My heart broke each time he brushed tears away from his cheek.