Home Is Where the Heart Is - 36

Start from the beginning

She released from the hug and stepped back, looking at him with a softer monotone expression, "I think you well deserve a second row seat."

Uncle Fester chortled, "Close enough."

And then her dark-chocolate-brown eyes glared at the dismembered hand that did an expression of shock, "If you tell anyone what you just saw, I will chop off each and every single finger of yours and put you in the back row seat."

Thing rolled over and gave a gesture that he understood.

She let out a mute sigh and turned back toward the front gates, now walking again, "Farewell, Uncle Fester."

"Farewell, Wednesday!"

And soon, he disappeared into the fog of the woods, his horses neighs and whinnies faded away under the sounds of the night.

The metal gate creaked loudly as she opened and closed, before her steps slowly made their way to the creaky wood boards of the front door.

She gazed up at the rotting exterior, hallowing windows, and dying candles that lit around the base, "I'm back, House," she whispered. That was something she needed to keep from Enid, the fact that she also calls her home, House, as well. Slightly embarrassing fact.

Wednesday stood still in front of the door, her eyes staring intensely at the fangs of the door knocker.

She could hear her own heartbeat thumping loudly in her ears when her hand gripped the knocker handle.

And then within a single bang of the knocker, the door immediately opened and caused a small draft of wind.

Her eyes quickly adjusted to the dark interior and her eyes subtly widened.

"Wednesday?"

She stayed silent for a few seconds, "M- Mother."

"Wednesday... my little rain cloud," her mother swiftly moved forward and her arms tightly embraced the small frame of Wednesday.

The ravenette stood frozen as she felt her mother's arms wrap around her.

Tears immediately dampened Wednesday's shirt and muffled sobs came out.

Five months.

It had been five months away from home. Walking and running around the middle of nowhere.

Five months since she had seen her immediate family.

Eventually, Wednesday's arms snaked up around her mother's, and hugged her back.

Her mother's sobs hitched for a moment when she felt her own daughter hug her back. How long has it been since Wednesday had hugged anyone? She couldn't even remember.

It had been too long. Far too long since her baby girl returned a hug.

And so when she felt Wednesday's arms hug her back, Morticia cries became louder.

Wednesday expected the Addams' Family mother's usual threats and comments... but instead she was met with an embrace of relief.

Not impassive anger, it was sadness and ease that Wednesday was back.

Was she disappointed that her mother showed her vulnerability and her weakness? Showing weakness in the Addams Family? No, not anymore.

In the end, Wednesday was glad to be brought back in the arms of family coldness.

In fact, she felt guilty for how much she had cried. The five-months-ago Wednesday would've surely loved the painful tears of her own mother's, but now... it felt different.