1.3 The Mark of Nimueh part 5

Start from the beginning

« You can go don't worry, I'll be here when you come back » she whispered to him knowing he would want to do something for Gwen

« Gwen didn't cause the disease! » He said to Gaius slowly letting go of Y/N, to be sure she was not falling off the bench.

« Oh, and how're you going to prove that? » Gaius asked when Merlin was at the door, but he didn't answer. 

« Don't be mad at him, I know he can be stupid sometimes, but he means well » Y/N explained to him as he was helping her lay down on the bed that was usually for the patients.

« You know I can only be worried about Merlin, one day I fear his stupidity might kill him »

≪ ◦ ❖ ◦ ≫

« Please listen to me. Please. I have done nothing. » The young woman pleaded as she was dragged in the throne room in front of the king « I swear I haven't done ... » before she could finish her sentence, she was thrown on the floor by the two guards.

« Well done. » The king complimented his son

« Why will no one believe me? » She cried « He got better. He just recovered. I didn't do anything. »

« I believe you » Lady Morgana stepped up « Perhaps this is a disease that is not always fatal. Have you thought of that? Perhaps he recovered naturally. » She continued.

« Then what about the poultice that was found? » The King asked

« What poultice? I don't know anything about a poultice. » 

« It was found in your house. Undo this enchantment. » The king ordered standing up from his throne « Put an end to this contagion. »

« I can't » she replied

« Then I can show you no mercy. »

« I am not a witch. I don't know how to stop the illness. »

« If you will not undo your sorcery, you force my hand and I must find you guilty »

« But I've told you... » but she was cut off « - it is therefore my duty to pronounce judgement. And under the circumstances, I have no choice but to sentence you to death. »

« No! » She pleaded

« I can only hope that when you die, this evil plagues dies with you. And I hope you'll be happy to learned that one of your friend, the apprentice, has also the sickness. Maybe if it's not for my kingdom but for your friend you'll make an end to this. »

« No! » She cried once again, but not for her sentence but for her friend, knowing that she couldn't do anything for her. 

« Take her away. »

« No. Please no. I'm innocent! Please, please no! » She pleaded as she was dragged once again by the guard but this time to the dungeon. « Please help me, Please, I beg you. »

As her screams slowly disappeared, Lady Morgan stayed to pleaded her cases. In the room there was still Arthur.

« I know Gwen. She's my maidservant, not an enchantress. » She defended the poor girl

« Have you ever seen an enchantress ? Believe me, they bear no sign, no mark. There is no source of evil in the eye.»

« I have seen the way the girl works... her fingers are worn, her nails are broken. I f she was a sorceress, why would she do this? Why would she kneel on a cold stone floor morning after morning when she could make these things happen with a snap of her fingers? Like an idle king »

« You have no right! » The king couldn't contain his furious state, he was used to Morgana strong personality, but it is in no way something he would encourage.

« But you have the right to cast judgement on that girl! »

« I have a responsibility to take care of this kingdom. I take no pleasure in this. »

« But you are sentencing the wrong person. »

« She's right father. You hear the world magic and no longer listen. » Arthur entered the discussion that he was only until now watching from afar, not wanting to be the cause of his father wrath.

« You saw it for yourself, she used enchantments. »

« Yes, maybe. But to save her dying father. That does not make her guilty of creating a plague. One's the act of kindness, of love; the other of evil. I don't believe evil is in the girl's heart. »

« I have witnessed what witchcraft can do. I've suffered at its hand. I cannot take that chance. If there is the slightest doubt about this girl, she must die or the whole kingdom may perish. » The king said firmly

« I understand that. »

« One day you may become king. Then you will understand, such these decisions must be made. There are dark forces that threaten this kingdom. » He explained 

« I know witchcraft is an evil, father. So is injustice. Yes, I am yet to be king. And I don't know what kind of king I will be. But I have a sense of the kind of Camelot I would wish to live in. It would be where the punishment fits the crime. »

« I fear you are right. She's played with fire, and sadly she must die by fire. » The King concluded, leaving Arthur and Morgana alone in the throne room.