Chapter 39 - Launch

Start from the beginning

"Oh... Wow! Well, that's great. Thanks!" He says and then hangs up. "Didier says we should use the kitchen entrance. The line of people we saw are here to see you and celebrate your book. Controlling the tickets people signed up for is taking longer, so they rather not have us interrupt them. And there are fans..."

"Fans? But the book release at the bookstores only happened on Monday. It's Thursday."

"We spoke to Laura a few weeks ago, and she gave us some advance copies that Jimmy has been giving away to callers during his show. He has a large audience and read the book himself, so he's been hyping your story and you."

"I need to thank your brother. I didn't know advanced copies were out and since I don't listen much to the radio, then I've been oblivious."

As we enter the building, my stomach suddenly knots.

"I think I'm going to throw up." I put my hand on a wall for support. All but one person in the kitchen notices I'm unwell.

"That's not a good skin color," says the red-headed chef.

"He's the author we are celebrating tonight," says Thomas. "Can we get him a drink?"

"Michael Redmont." She nods. "I have something better."

The woman instructs someone to get me a stool. I sit and in a minute, I have a minty-smelling drink in my hands.

"Spearmint tea. It will soothe you."

"Thank you... What's your name?"

"Claire. I'm the club's sous-chef and my husband and head chef, Sam, is one of the owners." She pats my arm and Thomas takes her aside to talk.

The warm drink makes my stomach feel slightly better. I try to inhale deeply and relax some. I wish Mateo was here next to me, telling me that everything will be okay. I hope he's picked my parents-in-law, who didn't want to miss the launch, on time.

"Thomas? If you go out there and see Mateo, can you send him here?"

"Of course. You take a moment to gather yourself. I'll speak to Erin to see how everything is going and I'll be right back."

Whenever the kitchen opens, I can hear the rumble and music coming from the club. I spent many happy moments reporting on venues for the lifestyle column and it feels right that I picked this place for my celebration. I don't know if it's the tea or the appetizers I've been handed by the kitchen staff that I feel better. Didier comes in instead of Thomas or Mateo and I wonder if everything is alright.

"We are ready for your entrance."

I look around and figure I brought nothing with me, so I straighten my shirt and hope my hair looks alright. As we go through the kitchen doors, I see a brightly illuminated stage and only silhouettes of the people who have gathered in front of it. The volume of the music goes down and Deirdre walks on the stage and stands in front of an acrylic lectern.

"Good evening everyone. I've been given the honor of welcoming you on this special occasion. Love, heartbreak and self-discovery have been the essential ingredients for the book we are celebrating tonight. And I'm thankful that the creative mind of this book has been in my life since I was five years old and that I get to celebrate his success. Ladies and gentlemen, please give a warm welcome to the author of a Journey of Hearts, M.G. Riley."

Didier gives me a gentle push and with wobbly knees I walk up the three steps. Deirdre gives me a hard hug and whispers in my ear that she's proud of me. From my point of view now, I can see that the club area is full of people who applaud me. My family is standing by the bar and my brother looks at me while sporting a grin. I still don't see Mateo.