Chapter 28 - Peace

LUKE

Life has thankfully gone back to normal in the past day. The situations with Oliver and Tristan got me distracted to the point of almost losing a tray of cookies I left too long in the oven. Which is not handy with Christmas around the corner and the demand for my desserts growing. After hearing that Oliver talked to Madeline and Tristan is recovering at Lonstino, I felt I could concentrate again on my tasks.

One of the things that's brought me positivity in the past days has been planning Joy's party with Rebecca. Each call and email confirms that my decision to do this was right. Rebecca values what I do, and each time we end up talking about other things besides the party, which has helped me to getting to know her better. Her dedication to her daughter, the way she built her business from nothing and how strong she's been after dealing with the abuse of her ex partner give me hope that things will also be okay with me.

While having dinner at Mateo's place two days ago, I shared the only struggle I've had for this party which is how to decorate the top floor for the party. I have no experience with children and I could have asked Rebecca what to do, but I also want it to be a surprise for her.

"I looked online for ideas, but I'm not sure where to begin," I said to Mateo and Michael. "The girls' moms are also coming and I think it would be nice to also think of them. I saw something cute... It's one of those things... Like plushy or with feathers, I'm not sure, and you put around your neck." 

"Oh, you mean a boa," Mateo said.

"Boa? Like a snake?" Michael asked, while grabbing another piece of chicken.

His words confused me and Mateo just laughed. "Right, because that's what your brother wants, for the mom's to wear snakes around their necks. Very different kind of party. But yeah, boa scarves. My sister and my female friends like those indeed. And for the little girls, what about some sparkly tiaras? And have you booked entertainment?"

I then realized the accessories and decorations were the least of my problems because kids don't sit still. Mateo got in contact with his sister and came back with suggestions on what has worked well for them. A quick internet search helped me find what I needed. Mateo did me the favor of buying the decorations and now I feel confident we've covered all the basics of this party.

As I bring a new batch of cheesecakes to the cooler, Mateo enters the bakery. Michael gives him a slightly cold welcome and I wonder what's going on.

"Reporting for duty," Mateo says to me while shaking large bags with the party supplies.

"Thank you for coming to help. You are a lifesaver."

Mateo and I head to the party space while Michael helps some customers. Once upstairs, Mateo picks something from the floor and moves it away.

"If you have some tape, I can put this in a safer area." He motions with the block of the extension cord in his hand. "Kids are attracted to danger."

"Oh my, good catch. I'm really inexperienced with this. I'll bring the roll I have downstairs. Thank you!"

"No problem. It comes natural to me after working with children and from having so many nieces and nephews. The youngest one was born a week after I returned from my teaching assignment abroad. That's partially one of the reasons I didn't accompany Michael on his travels. I felt I had missed so many milestones of the kids and I was homesick."

"But you've moved now to Greenwood. Wouldn't you miss them still?"

"It will take me long hours to drive to Oakheart, but it won't involve an expensive flight to a different country, so I can see them whenever I want to. Hey, sort of related. I know you will go to your parents for Christmas next week, but I asked Michael to come and meet my family."