Chapter 37 - Cocktails

TRISTAN

As we drive towards Michael and Mateo's wedding reception, I have trouble keeping my eyes on the road. Harper looks stunning in her burgundy cocktail dress. Her short hair is adorned with a jeweled butterfly clip and her makeup is carefully done. I love her natural complexion, but can't deny that this look is sensual.

"Tristan, we will crash if you don't stop staring at me." Harper smiles, and I quickly return my eyes to the road.

"It's that you look so beautiful. You always do, but this is different."

"Thank you. I didn't know I clean up so well." She chuckles at her own joke. "You also look really handsome. That suit looks great on you."

"Thanks to Rebecca's advice. She really knows what she talks about."

"I know! She chose this dress for me at the store. I felt so overwhelmed. It was as if the racks of dresses were about to swallow me. Why can't wedding guest attire be pajamas or sweatpants?"

"I completely support that. I enjoy dressing up occasionally, but with our work, none of this makes sense. Even now at the university, if I wear anything else than jeans and a shirt, people give me odd looks. Bless the field work where I can be myself in work clothes and overalls."

"Agreed. Michael and Mateo's ceremony was adorable, don't you think? And that sea view was spectacular."

Adorable is one word to put it. Brian and the team at Morgan Events did an excellent job making my cousin's wishes come true even though it was a simple civil ceremony at the seaside gardens of the fairgrounds. Michael didn't want Brian to work during his wedding, but he threatened with getting offended if they didn't marry in the gorgeous gardens. We arrived at the ceremony and the smell of the peach roses held together with navy ribbon on the rows of chairs and an arch perfumed the air. The grooms came down the aisle to the music of Jason Mraz and a hilarious justice of the peace had us all laughing with a great summary of Michael and Mateo's relationship. When they exchanged their vows, I had to pink a few tears away. I wish them a lifetime of happiness because they deserve it.

"It was," I say. "I love seeing people who feel so much love for each other celebrating their happy ever after."

"I didn't even know the fairgrounds had that garden at the back. So beautiful! And now we are going to... Julio's?" She checks the printed invitation. "Have you ever been there?"

"I used to work there." I smile at the sweet memories. "Julio was the first owner and now the restaurant is run by his son. Julio had a brief relationship with Deirdre's grandmother before passing away. Goodness, a few days in Lonstino and here I am gossiping," I say and Harper laughs. "Julio's son was a firm but kind boss, ready for everyone in need, like I heard his father was. I was a server and worked there on weekends and holidays until I went to do my master's degree."

"And after so long, I'm still learning new things about you."

"What can I say? I'm a man of mystery. Must be these fancy clothes."

"Stop making me laugh." She wipes the corner of her eye. "My poor makeup. I hope you and your clothes join me in my mood to party. I heard Michael talking about a DJ, and I know my dancing shyness goes away after a few people break the ice."

"Well, we are here."

We park the car and can hear the music coming from the patio. As we walk towards the entrance, I check no one is watching and give her a not so chaste kiss that makes her giggle. The tall man standing by the entrance controls our reception card and smiles at us.

"Dr. Walker, Dr. Martin, welcome to your cousin's wedding. We hope you have a lot of fun."

The restaurant area indoors has been prepared with food and drink stations, and the usual garlic smell of Julio's is in the air. Kids, who I assume are part of Mateo's family, run around in the wide space that opens into the large patio. Once outside, we meet up with Jordan and Deirdre, who enjoy drinks while standing by a cocktail table.