Chapter 36 - Future

JORDAN

In the past weeks, I've tried to keep my feelings and doubts under control and tried to be a model boyfriend. I've been counting the days up to today, knowing that the future of my relationship with Deirdre can take a turn. I know she's not Chloe and that things could be different, but the stupid voice in my head keeps telling me that I'm up for heartbreak and disappointment.

"That jigger is dangerously full," Rory says, as he takes the bottle of whisky away from me.

"I'm sorry. I got distracted."

From the bar area, I've been keeping an eye on the gallery upstairs. I've been hoping that any noise or movement gives me a clue on what's been discussed. My nerves have been on edge since the meeting started and tried to calm them with a shot of liquor.

"You know alcohol is not the solution," Rory says, and smiles cheekily.

"That's a contradicting advice coming from a bartender."

Rory laughs as he serves a cup of hot water from a kettle. When he places it in front of me and opens the tea box, I feel confused.

"Make your pick."

"Tea? You know I don't drink tea."

"You do now. It will calm your nerves. Claire has gotten us all addicted to chamomile tea."

Before I can refuse, Sam comes from the kitchen and looks upstairs. "Any news?"

"Nothing yet," Rory says.

"We only hear muffled voices from time to time. I'm sure your appetizers will have impressed them though," I say, and feel annoyed when Rory has exchanged my shot for a tea bag.

"I still have some in the back to celebrate whatever the outcome is." Sam gives me a soft pat on my back. "Don't look so gloomy. Deirdre loves you and I'm sure things will work out."

Representatives from a record label came to meet with Deirdre. She wanted me to accompany her, but I convinced her that Dad, Erin and her parents were a better company due to their experiences in the music world and business. Sam and Rory set them upstairs with a selection of bites and good wine, and I've been here biting my nails while waiting for news.

Defeated, I take a sip of the tea and I find it tastes disgusting, so I move it aside.

"I know she loves me and I've tried my best to cheer and support her in this decision. She truly deserves this opportunity. She's a hard worker and the people at the club love her-"

"She's not Chloe," Rory says. "Get that out of your head."

"I know. It's just that we've been so happy together. The idea of being away from each other, even if temporary, is difficult."

"Again, she's not Chloe, who kept her whereabouts and plans hidden. Deirdre is one of the most open and honest people I've met. I'm sure there are options for you to be together," Sam says, trying to be helpful and encouraging as always. "Deirdre reminds me of your mom. She has a good and reasonable head."

"I hope you are right."

"Any news?" Adam says as he joins us.

"Nothing yet," Rory says. "How are things at home?"

"Claire is in denial that she's due today and wanted to come with me. Said that Jordan needs us. It's just like Erin was right before she was due to give birth. Non-stop, demanding, a bit crazy. Don't tell her I said that. She's so unreasonable at the moment, that she's capable of handling labor alone and will call me after she has cleaned and fed the baby."