Chapter 35 - Funeral

OLIVER

For Madeline and our baby's sake, I try to control my emotions. It's not my usual behavior to say exactly what I'm thinking. Always masking, trying to find the right words so I don't come across as weird and unhinged, but this time I had to. Madeline has been quiet since we got in the car and I don't know what's her take on what just happened and if I have ruined things between us just when I had hopes of getting back together.

"My family can be a bunch of assholes." Madeline breaks the silence and I take my eyes off the road for a moment to look at her. "My parents seem to be the exception."

"I can't say I disagree with you," I say, but I can find many other words to describe their behavior.

"And you know? What just happened didn't surprise me, because I've been the target of many of their remarks throughout the years. But I thought, it's a funeral, maybe out of respect they will put their archaic minds in pause, but no..."

"My deepest apologies if I embarrassed you. I couldn't let this pass."

Madeline received a message a few days ago that an aunt, his dad's sister, had passed away after a long illness. We arrived at her parents first to head together to the service, and they received us with their usual kindness. After Madeline and I decided to keep a friendly relationship, we visited her parents to announce the pregnancy. I reassured them I would support her all the way. Of course, they were a bit shocked at first and asked many questions, but accepted our unexpected reality and have been a great support ever since. Madeline's sister is over the moon about the idea of becoming an aunt, just like my sister Darla, and our visits are always pleasant.

When we parked outside the church, I had the idea that all eyes were on us. Madeline is now at 32 weeks of pregnancy and her baby belly is very visible. We had discussed if it was wise to attend the funeral, but she wanted to be there for her father and I understood that. The awkward feeling continued as we walked inside the church to find a pew for her to sit. People wouldn't point at us, but would lean to the person next to them to whisper something in their ear while staring. I tried to tell myself that I was imagining stuff, so instead, I started talking to Madeline's mom, who gave me a quick guide of who was who among the people attending the service.

After all the singing and speeches, we walked in procession behind the coffin down to the cemetery. I then noticed Madeline had become pale. I whispered to her mom that I would bring her to the car to rest a bit and we would see them later. Whenever Madeline and I are together, I make sure to have some snacks and drinks at hand. I felt relieved when I saw the color return to her cheeks while she drank a bottle of juice. When I saw the first mourners leaving the cemetery, I took it as my cue to drive to her grandmother's house.

We waited a respectable amount of time in the car before going inside, and then I knew for sure that I wasn't imagining things.

"Mom, Madeline is here," Mr. Foster said to his mother.

She looked at us for a second and then continued the conversation with the woman sitting next to her. Madeline stood in front of her and offered her condolences. I did the same, but we were both ignored.

"It's been an emotional day for her," Mr. Foster said. "Don't mind her much."

I would have accepted that as an excuse, but more family members or guests, since I didn't know most people, kept avoiding our gaze or plainly ignored us.

"Hello Aunt Meryl, it's good to see you," Madeline said to one of the women present. "It's been long."

"Well, didn't take you that long to get knocked up."

The comment felt like a slap on my face somehow. Madeline lifted her chin higher.

"This is the fruit of a lovely relationship, not a one-night stand."