SEVEN

trigger warning: in the beginning, elena is going through a panic attack. feel free to skip the bold '--' if you're uncomfortable with reading. you won't miss anything if you do! :D

ELENA

"We can't be together," I stared at the back of my lover as he stood at the edge of the cliff. My heart felt as if I had been stabbed. The tears that I had holding back streamed down my face. "Please. Don't say that."

He didn't face me. I wish he would. I needed to see the expression he wore on his face as he said those words. Such cruel words.

"It's forbidden, my love." He paused. "It's... I'm too dangerous for you."

"Please..." I wanted to call out to him yet, I couldn't as the name danced on the tip of my tongue. 

"Elena..." He said so softly that I almost couldn't hear it from the waves crashing below. "Be careful."

"B-Be careful of what?" I asked.

He didn't respond and I rushed towards him, grabbing his arm. He stiffened about to turn and finally gazed back at me. Yet, I didn't catch his face as suddenly, I descended into endless darkness and everywhere I turned my head, I was alone.

My heart began to drum in my chest. What was he talking about? Who should I be careful of? Was something going to happen to me? Am I going to die? Was someone going to kill me? I'm going to die.

I leaped up, gasping for air as the tears rolled down my face. The lump in my throat caught my breath as the familiar feeling of dread loomed over me. My shaking hands gripped the covers under me, bracing myself as the hot flashes started to kick in.

My mind was racing as the thoughts got more gruesome and I started choking on my tears.

Shit. Breathe Elena. I'm safe. I'm home and in my room. I'm fine. It's fine.

I tried to soothe myself but, it was in vain as my body didn't settle down. Before the derealization could get any worse, I steadily got up and headed downstairs. I found my way to the kitchen, grabbed whatever was in the door of the freezer, and planted myself on the floor. 

--

The kitchen light turned on and Carson stood at the doorway. He stared at me with tired eyes. "What are you doing on the floor?"

"I'm having a panic attack." I breathed out. He tilted his head. "You said you're having peas and mash?"

I furrowed my eyebrows. "What? No."

Carson sat down next to me, staring at my neck. "Well, you have one of the ingredients out."

I paused, pulling my hand away from my neck, the pack of frozen peas staring back at me.

"It's 6 in the morning and you're trying to make peas and mash?" He asked.

"No. I said I'm having a panic...." I trailed off as I didn't feel the world was crashing down on me anymore. The looming feeling of dread had already subsided as my heart didn't feel like it was about to shoot out of my chest. I could feel the cold exposure, biting at my skin.

He pushed my hand to place the peas back onto my neck. "You have the weirdest appetite but, you know Mom would lose her mind if she caught you trying to cook in here."

I snorted out a laugh and it earned a crooked smile from him. Now I see he was just trying to distract my mind. "How do you always do that?"

"Do what?" He yawned, rubbing his eyes.