THREE

ELENA

"Damn, I look good." I nodded at myself in the mirror. For the party, I decided to wear a torn white crop top and low-rise black flared jeans. It revealed the dual star tattoos on my lower stomach that I got for my 14th birthday. No, my parents did not approve. But when they finally saw it, I was grounded for two weeks.

Carmen started ringing my phone again and I looked at the clock on my nightstand realizing it was 8:32.

"Yellow?" I answered, putting in my golden hoops.

"How long are you going to keep us waiting?!" Carmen grumbled.

"It's not my fault you came 30 minutes early." I rolled my eyes. I slipped on my white sneakers. "You can't rush perfection my dear bestie."

"I said 8!"

I pulled the phone away from my ear seeing it was already 8:56. "Oh..."

"Elena!" Emma shouted through the phone. "Hurry up before we end up missing the damn party!"

"Fine!" I shouted back and hung up. Sheesh. They were surely impatient tonight. Sure, I got ready at 7:50 since I decided to watch Netflix but, that's beside the point.

I sprayed some perfume and did a final coat of lipgloss. After shoving my keys and phone in my pocket, I tiptoed downstairs.

"Where do you think you're going?"

My fingertips barely touched the doorknob and my Dad was on my ass. Fuck.

I slowly turned around and there he stood with Alex by his side. He had a scowl on his face as his arms were crossed. I'm sure he was trying to be intimidating but, he just looked like my plain old dorky Dad.

"Oh," I smiled. "Just to Carmen's house!"

"On a school night?"

"Yeppers!"

"In that outfit?" He pointed out.

I looked down at my clothes. "What? I think I look hot."

"Elena..." He said in a warning tone. His furrowed eyebrows showed the wrinkles on his forehead. "Do you think I'm stupid?"

"Never! You're the smartest man on the earth."

My Dad fell for my flattery. His lips curved into his classic smirk whenever his ego was filled. "I am, aren't I?"

"Right! Which is why you'll let me leave to go have a lovely sleepover with my best friend!" I turned to the door.

"Hold it," He demanded and I rolled my eyes. Geez, he was persistent. 

I faced him once again, faking a bright smile. "Yes, father dearest?"

He looked down at Alex who looked back at him. "Don't you think, it's weird Alex how your sister is going to a sleepover with no sleeping bag?"

Alex whined in response and my Dad nodded his head. He patted the golden fur on the dog's head. "Mhm, exactly. She's lying."

Shit. They caught me.

"Oh! Silly me!" I laughed nervously. "I forgot it upstairs!"

He raised an eyebrow. "Elena. If you were going to try and sneak out to go somewhere. You should've been more clever than that."

I sighed. "I would've gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you and your meddling dog."

He laughed as I made my way back upstairs, cursing at myself for being stupid. How did I forget to make a fake sleepover bag?! I didn't think he would still be awake. Usually, my parents were getting ready to go to bed around this time.