8. Fine Little Blade

As we passed through a small village fraught with corpses, Arya began to speak again. "When am I going to get a horse of my own?"

    "The little lady wants a pony," Sandor commented, more softly than he usually does. 

    "The little lady wants away from your stench," she jeered, and I stifled laughter.

    "Horses aren't easy to come by. Even if they were, you think I'm gonna put you on you own horse? Watch the only thing of value I've got in the world ride away?"

    I shook my head at his words as Arya continued. "Why don't you have any money? Didn't you steal anything from Joffrey before you left?"

    "No."

    "You're not very smart, are you?" A giggle I let out at Arya's remark made the Hound glare at me for a moment, and then he turned his head back to the path. 

    "I'm not a thief," he responded. 

    "You're fine with murdering little boys but thieving is beneath you?" Arya snarked. 

    "A man's got to have a code."

    "You think I'm going to escape? Where would I go? I'd be dead by nightfall alone, my family's gone, I've got no one." My mouth turned down, feeling pity for the newly orphaned girl.

    "You've got an aunt in the Vale. Your rich Aunt Lysa. After I sell you to her, maybe she'll have enough left over to buy you that pony you want so much."

    "My gods, Sandor, could you be more crass?" I asked, rolling my eyes.

    We came upon a small inn and both Arya and the Hound dismounted to get a closer look

    We came upon a small inn and both Arya and the Hound dismounted to get a closer look. We hid in the bushes, scanning the wooden building.

    The girl was the first to say something. "I'm hungry, you're hungry, I bet Katira's hungry."

    Sandor's voice was low. "Five horses, five men, more than I feel like killing on an empty stomach." 

    I whipped my head around to look him in the eyes. "I could take them all out while you wait like a lady, if you'd prefer."