27. All Hail Jon Snow

I kept my distance as I pulled Cersei along to where I knew everyone would gather now that the city had been burned to Dany's heart's content. I didn't want her to see us before I got to Arya, knowing she would try to take the kill for herself.

    And as if by fate, Arya's small figure came into view. "Little wolf!" I called.

    She whipped around, covered in dust, her face smeared with blood, looking a bit disoriented, but her head seemed to clear as she locked eyes on Cersei.

    She glanced around before walking quickly to us, and I began to drag Cersei out of the sight of the army.

    When Arya stood next to us, I threw Cersei to the dirt. "I told you I'd get her for you."

    The small girl's face was stone-cold as she approached the now-dethroned queen. "You never thought it would end this way, did you? All your power stripped from you before a Stark takes your life."

    Arya grabbed the back of her hair, yanking Cersei's head back. "This is for my father, my mother; for Robb and for Sansa. I hope in these final moments you regret every decision you've ever made, because they led you here."

    Suddenly, Arya's dagger was in her hand, and in less than a second, the blade was in Cersei's throat. There were a few moments of gasping and choking, Cersei's eyes wide as saucers as she grabbed at her neck, and then silence.

    Arya looked up at me. "Thank you."

    I gave her a nod and we moved to join everyone else. Arya slipped into the crowd and I stepped up beside Jon, who stood watching Daenerys just in front of us as she gave her army a speech in Valyrian.

    "Yn se vīlībāzma iksis daor toliot. Kesi daor ilagon ilagon īlva egrio ēva emi daerēdas mirre lī hen bisa vys!"

    I leaned close to Jon. "She says the war isn't over. That we won't lay down our spears until everyone in the world is free."

    The look in Jon's eyes was many things; sadness, disappointment, anger. I could see his vision of Dany crumble before me.

    I watched Tyrion step up beside her, and I could hear her words to him clear as day. "You freed your brother. You committed treason."

    "I freed my brother. And you slaughtered a city." Tyrion pulled his Hand pin from his shirt and tossed it down the steps in front of them, disappointment radiating from his features.

    Daenerys's face was hard as she addressed her soldiers. "Gūrogon zirȳla."

(Take him)

    A couple of her men led Tyrion away. As he passed Jon and I, we locked eyes, and I gave him a quick nod, a small assurance that I would not let him die.

    We both turned back to Daenerys, who was already looking at us coldly. After a moment, she turned silently, leaving.

    Jon watched her go, and I leaned over to him. "You know what needs to be done, and you need to accept it."

    Arya appeared next to us, Jon's eyes widening in shock. "What are you doing here?"

    "I came to kill Cersei."

    "I assume Daenerys got to her first?"

    Arya's lips pulled into a small smile. "The stab wound in Cersei's throat would say otherwise. Your queen didn't finish the job." 

    Jon looked in shock between Arya and I, and I spoke, "She may have had a bit of help."

    Jon looked back at Dany's slowly disappearing figure. "She's everyone's queen, now."