Chapter 38: A Glimmer of Hope

The cabin was quaint, but Lynette was happier than ever to see any sort of building.  Next to it was a stable, just large enough for all the horses and elk to stay hidden from cover.  They made their way inside after tending to their animals.
Lynette quickly took one of the seats by the fireplace, Lucky curling up in her lap.  Kat stepped up next to her, quickly starting a fire with some wood left in a pile in the corner of the room.
Filnir and Falmond made their way into another corner, opening a trap door leading down into what Lynette assumed was their storage.  Dallinar followed.
Andriel and Loki joined them by the fire.  She pulled the pot from the mantle and went to the kitchen, looking for something to eat.  She quickly pulled a few items from the cupboard as Falmond and Filnir returned from the basement.  They held some meat, cheeses and wine bottles.
Dallinar, on the other hand, took some grain for the animals.  A large sack of it.  He made his way outside momentarily as the rest of them assisted Andriel.
"Tell me, Lynette.  Do the women in the royal family learn how to cook?"
Andriel looked up at her as she sliced some bread and cheese, passing a piece to everyone.  Dallinar joined them, locking the door behind him.  She offered one to him as well.
"No.  Actually, not very much is expected of us outside of social entertainment."
"Well, now is as good a time as any." Andriel smiled.  Lynette stood, joining her in the kitchen.  She bit down on the bread and cheese, savoring the taste.  She had not eaten something so fresh in what seemed like ages.  "It is a good skill to know if you end up in a situation where you need to fend for yourself."
She watched Andriel in her craft, but Lynette's mind was elsewhere.  She could hear Andriel, but nothing sank in as she described how to cook.  Instead, Lynette watched the way she prepared the vegetables, meat and rice, and cooked it in the pot.
Lynette sensed a kindness in this group of elves.  She had no previous experience with elves of any kind, only hearing about them in her father's meetings with them.  From what she knew, her father was not against them in any way, but it seemed like the elves felt otherwise.  Hiding in their forests.
Loki sensed Lynette's thoughtfulness and watched her.  When she realized he was watching, Loki smiled at her, sensing she was calmer, and not thinking about the curse or the dread that came with it.
"We will not hurt you, if that is what you are worried about," Falmond looked at the two of them, speaking sincerely.  "We may not have the best relationship with your father, but we do not hurt innocent people."
"Unless war forces you to," Lynette looked at him square in the face.  He seemed taken aback, but recovered quickly.
"Unless we are at war, yes.  We are not, and you are too valuable for that."
"I appreciate that," Lynette stated, rather unenthusiastically.
"Look," Dallinar spoke for all of them.  "No one is going to get their hands on you while we are here.  We will make sure of that.  As for your situation, we should know about it.  The more we know, the more we will be able to protect you."
"We already told you everything.  We are being chased by cultists.  I do not know why, but they need me for something.  And no, they are not looking for my twin sister.  It is directly connected to me, whatever it is."
"Do you think it is the prophecy?" Kat looked up at Dallinar.  "I mean, she fits the description."
"They did mention a prophecy when we came across them," Loki continued when Dallinar did not answer.  He just watched the fire, lost in thought.
"What does it have to do with me?"
Kat sighed.  She, too, was lost in thought.  She looked up at Dallinar.  "You should tell them."
Dallinar sat down on the floor beside them.  "There is a prophesy about the end of the world.  They probably believe you are the warrior depicted in the prophecy."
"So, what do they intend to do to me?"
"Well, there are two endings to the prophecy.  One is that you get corrupted and destroy the world.  In the other, you are believed to be able to wield light magic which has been lost to this world since the early ages, during the first accounts of humans and the development of the Northern Countries."
"I do not have magic.  None of my family does." Lynette huffed out a breath of disbelief.  "So, they want me to destroy the world.  Why else would they curse me?"
"Do you know anything about this cult after you?" Falmond asked.
"They have an emerald eagle as a symbol, but that is all I know.  That, and there are some weird mages with silver eyes."
Falmond exchanged a glance with his brother.  "They are not mages.  At least in the view of the colleges.  They are necromancers, so to speak.  However, they use necromancy for things not necessarily considered dastardly.  They are borderline neutral.  They must have banded a cult when the rest of the prophecy was revealed."
"So, you do not know who is after me?"
Falmond sighed.  "I have my speculations.  They do not have a true name.  That symbol is the sigil of a very old family that died out ages ago. There was another family originally connected to the prophecy at the time.  One with your family sigil.  The two families quarreled a lot.  Neither of them are still around."
Filnir continued for him.  "The green eagle is an Elven family.  They studied necromancy as well as healing magic and used the two together."
"But they never wanted the world to be destroyed," Kat stated.  She was the smallest of them, barely taller than Lynette.  "They wanted to save it.  But they do believe you need to be corrupted too.  The prophecy will not take place otherwise."
"Well, they already did that, so I guess I do not have to worry about it anymore."
"No," Dallinar disagreed.  "They are not done with you.  I can sense it.  Sure, they may have cursed you, but that does not mean you were corrupted.  You have not lost yourself.  Loki, can you attest to that?"
He looked unsure of saying it, so he simply nodded.
"Then we will do anything we can to protect you.  If the prophecy is true, then there is no way to really stop it.  But we will do everything we can to protect you from everyone who tries to harm you."
"Thank you," Lynette looked at the entire group.  She sensed the sincerity of the group.  "When I return, I will do everything in my power to repay you."
Dallinar shook his head.  "We need no payment."

After a few days rest in the cabin, they set on their way Northwest, towards the settlements.  According to Dallinar, they needed to pass through their old city ruins to get there.  It was the only place to cross the river.
Lynette could not help but wonder about the cultists.  She knew so little about them, and it seemed Dallinar was not willing to give any more information to them.  Or at least did not understand them himself.  She did sense that he knew more, at least about the necromancers.
Every time she tried to talk to him about it, he would avoid the conversation entirely.
Kat, however, seemed to want to tell her about it.  She would eye Lynette every time she got close.  Kat always sensed Dallinar was not particularly happy with the idea of telling them.
Perhaps they did not want to tell Lynette because of some of the things they did.
Loki kept his horse beside Lynette, ensuring she would feel safer with him closest to her.  The others surrounded them, Kat on her opposite side, Dallinar and Andriel in front, and Falnir and Falmond at the rear.
Kat poked Lynette in the shoulder and pointed down to her sword.  "Where did you pick that up?"
"One of my father's men gave it to me.  He understood he could not help us."
"What about those?"
She pointed to the array of weapons they picked up along the way.  The bow and arrow, short swords and knives.  Lynette had not used them in a while, and she was grateful.  "From our first attackers.  We only had a few weapons so we took them."
"Did you get hurt?"
Lynette looked up at the young elf.  Kat was not much older than Lynette, and she assumed Kat was not originally part of their troop.  She was probably requested to join after her training.
But she seemed to know just as much as the rest of them.
"Yes.  But we survived, and they did not."
Kat nodded in understanding.  "I have only been a scout and a warrior for about a year now.  After my training, my father insisted I join the group to gain more experience before going out into the world.  I want to travel and discover something new."
"Your father?"
Lynette watched Kat eyes gesture towards Dallinar.  "After the troop returned from the war, he met my mother.  Little did they know their daughter wanted to go out into the world.  So they had me train as a warrior, and gain experience through scouting the area for poachers.  They like to wander this area for the elk and a rare breed of panther.  Their fur is valuable."
"So, do you know much about your father's work?"
Kat nodded.  "I have heard plenty of stories."
"They were meant to warn you about the world." Filnir stated.  Lynette turned back to him.  He glared as if testing her, but the amusement in his eyes proved otherwise.  "Wandering off on your own is not wise."
Kat glared at him.  "It is not like I was going to.  I have you on my back about everything at any given moment."
Falmond chuckled.
"But seriously, you know more about the necromancers, and I think we have made Lynette wait long enough to fully understand what they are.  I do not understand why all of you are holding back."
"Because, Kat, we are not powerful enough to stop them with our magic.  It is best to wait for the assistance of the Dark Elves."
"She should still know, in case we come across them again."
"I doubt we will, but I suppose it will not hurt them to know." Dallinar stated.  "Go ahead, Kat."
"So, as we mentioned before, the silver-eyed mages are actually necromancers, but they are not necessarily evil."
"I do not understand how necromancy is not evil," Loki spoke up.  "Necromancy is associated with demons, death, and beasts of the dark worlds.  None of them have good intention."
"Well, that is where things get a little tricky.  You see, they do not use forbidden magic.  They mostly study lesser demon magic, and try to discover more of the worlds connected with ours.  It is rumored they can travel to them, but that is besides the point."
"So, if they do not use forbidden magic, then why are they considered necromancers?" Lynette asked.
"They use familiars and darker magics.  Many of them bond with beasts associated with dark magic like dragons and shades.  That is how their eyes turn silver.  They can use these familiars to understand occult aspects of the universe."
"I still do not see how this makes them neutral mages."
"There is a story," Andriel spoke, gaining all attention from the entire group.  Her voice was soothing, soft and thoughtful.  "In our history, demons and fae were responsible for the fruitfulness of the planet.  They were equals, repairing what was destroyed by the dragons and creating a balance with our world and the worlds we do not understand.  Without the balance, the darker worlds and the dragons would destroy ours.  The old tales associated with their beliefs consists of the idea that demons knew light and dark magic.  They were responsible for magic entirely, and our world did not consist of anything but dragon destruction.  With them, the fae learned how to balance the world, and so did people.  Unfortunately, the magic that balanced the world is no longer within grasp.  Only a few fae species remember it, and they are hard to come across.  Poaching nearly killed them off like the Numen."
"And they believe Lynette has access to this ability," Loki looked at Lynette, confused.  "Why?"
Dallinar spoke next.  "Some believe there are Callmandonians that descend from the people who learned the magic.  So why not the oldest family known to Callmandonia?  The Brightstars created Callmandonia and the first known country.  From what the Elves understand, they were leaders of civilizations long before the territories existed.  We are not exactly sure the timeline, but the only other houses that were around as long as the Brightstars were the two involved in the two original houses.  The Emerald Eagle and the Sun."
"Their family names are lost, unfortunately." Kat stated.  "Only the cultists know them, and they do not reveal their secrets.  Only enough to keep them from being harmed."
"You have met them before." Lynette looked at Dallinar specifically.  She sensed he knew them on a deeper level than any of them."
"My brother joined them when we were about your age.  Later on we met again while I was fighting in the Numen War.  He described some of the prophesy to me to try to get me to join.  They killed all of the other warriors I fought beside.  When I refused, they let me go."
"What happened to your brother after that?"
"He caught up to me and continued to try and persuade me.  We were attacked, and we were nearly killed.  As a last resort, he used forbidden magic.  So, I killed him."
Lynette did not speak.  She did not know how to respond.  She understood now, why Dallinar did not want to tell her.  If it came to it, they would use forbidden magic on her.
Although they did not understand it now, it was possible her curse was forbidden too.  It certainly should be.  It was the kind of torment no one should have to bear.
"I just hope the Dark Elves can tell us whether this curse you are under is forbidden, and if there is a way to remove it." Dallinar stated.  "If it is forbidden, then this is something we need to discuss with the mage societies, and we need to stop them."
"Captain," Falmond spoke, breaking through their thoughts.  "It is getting dark.  We should make camp soon."
"Very well," Dallinar stated.  He veered them off the path and into a thicker section of the forest.  They continued on for a while, until they came upon a small ravine.  It seemed Dallinar knew exactly where they were.
Within the ravine was a scattering of small caves.  Their elk and horses trudged through the water and into the caves.  Loki, Kat and Lynette took one of the smaller caves beneath a small waterfall.  The others took caves further out, keeping watch of the only ways into the ravine.
They did not set fires, but Kat offered them each some bread, cheese and some jerky.  They ate in silence, Lynette thoughtful of what was to come.  She could not understand why they believed her family had some sort of magical abilities, and why Lynette specifically.  Every moment she thought of the new information, Lynette wondered more about her so-called destiny that all of her assailants wished for her to know.
"I think they believe it is you because you are the third in line." Kat suggested.  "Three is a common number associated with their beliefs.  And, as a woman, you are not expected to fight, but you show the will to."
Lynette looked up at her and smiled.  "I do not know how I have survived this long."
Kat smiled back.  "You are stronger than you know.  And you have some great companions to help you on your journey."  She turned to Loki and nodded to him.  Although he was listening and looking at Kat, he did not say anything.  Lynette sensed doubtfulness in his mind.  She could see it in his eyes.
"We should try to get some sleep," Kat suggested, wrapping a blanket around herself.  "We have a long journey ahead of us tomorrow."
Lynette wished she could sleep, but the nightmares taunted her, pulling at her consciousness.  She willed herself to believe she could rest without them, but every moment she drifted further into sleep, she could feel it tugging at her mind.

When she woke again, Kat offered her a hand, pulling her to her feet.  The others were gone, except for Loki who walked quietly after them.  "The others went ahead to scout the path to the ruins.  I hope you slept well.  The ruins are full of shadows so they may try to latch onto you.  Do not worry, they are harmless, but they can be frightening."
Lynette nodded as they wandered towards the path and followed the tracks in the snow.  They trudged on for a while, slowly making their way from the ravine towards the ruins.
Lynette looked at Kat, who walked closely in front of her.  She suddenly realized they left the horses behind.
"Where are the horses?" Lynette asked.  Kat did not answer.  She suddenly froze, looking out into the forest ahead of them.
Kat stood in front of her, her back to Lynette.  Loki behind, also facing the other way.  Both watched the forest, waiting for something.
"What is going on," she asked no one in particular.
No one answered.
Lynette took in a breath, her heart racing.  She sensed the danger now that was not there before.  This was not real at all.
She was dreaming.
Kat and Loki took her hands and both of them tried to drag her away from the other.  They remained silent, and Lynette could see the emptiness in their gazes.
She yanked herself free from them and ran through the trees, her legs taking her as fast as they could away from them.
She could not bear the idea the two of them would attack her, but she could hear them behind her, chasing her through the snow.
She sprinted through the woods as fast as she could, the snow and rock tearing through her boots, shredding the protective layer between the soles of her feet and the ground.  She could feel the wet seep into her boots and form ice around her feet, scraping against the skin like glass.
She sensed something closing in on them, dark shadows slipping through the forest, some floating through like birds.  The shadows followed her, pursuing her as Kat and Loki did.  Surrounding her.
She tripped, falling into the snow, the demons surrounding her.  Kat and Loki grabbed her by the arms as she struggled against them, attempting to break free from their grasp.  She could see now, that their eyes were blackened pits, swirling in darkness like the shadows surrounding her.
She could hear singing whispers within the shadows as they closed in on her, darkening her vision until she fell into darkness.
Darkness that was now all too familiar.  She could feel the pull on her mind, dragging away her consciousness until it was out of reach.  She pursued anyway.
She sensed the way it went, and chased it, hoping to find the end to this torment.  On and on it went, for what seemed like hours until she felt her mind try to give in again.
She kept pushing away the visions of Kat and Loki, eyes empty, trying to pin her down.
"Lynette!" She heard someone scream.  It was Kat.
"Hold on, let me get to her!" Loki shouted.  Lynette panicked.  She pushed herself further away from them.
"Lynette," Loki spoke calmly, his voice deepening as he tried to calm her down.  "Lynette, you need to wake up.  I can sense you are trying to wake.  We are all here.  You have released us from the nightmares, now you need to wake yourself from it too."
Lynette struggled, but she could not get her mind to wake.  She could sense him touching her arms, holding her close.  She could feel his breath against her face, her hair tickling her.  But she could not see him.
She could see nothing but black.  An empty place, for an empty soul.
"Come back, Lynette."
When she opened her eyes, Lynette rushed back into the dream.  She stood where Loki and Kat grabbed her, the shadows surrounding her.  Panicking, she struggled to get away from them.
But Loki held tight to her.  "Lynette, it is okay.  You are not in the dream anymore.  It's me."
She stopped struggling, really looking at him.  He looked at her with his deep green forest eyes.  The color of olives.  His pupils dilated as he looked at her, and his muscles relaxed as she did.
Kat stood not far behind him, worry in her similar green gaze.
No one else was around, and she sensed they still might be stuck in their dreams, back at the caves.
"Glad to see you did not drag us to our deaths," Kat joked.  Lynette exhaled and smiled at her.  "But seriously, I am glad you are back.  We were worried there for a few minutes."
Loki still held her arms, softer now, as if trying to steady her without the fear of hurting her.  His gaze fell as he realized it, and he dropped his hands.  He did not step away.
Lynette watched him, sensing the change in him.  He grew up in the time they spent away from the castle.  She sensed he no longer held the same path he did when they left, but something else.  Something he was hiding from her.
She did, however, know he would remain by her side through everything.  Whatever it was, it did not change that.