Chapter 33: A Memory

Maylorn watched Amrila walking ahead of him.  She had not said anything since attacking the other mages.  Even when they piled up all of the mages and set them aflame, reducing the chance of someone finding out what was going on.
"You were friends with her." Maylorn stated, trying to get Amrila's attention as she led the horses forward.  They decided to take all of them to the next village, hopeful to sell them.  They would keep the supplies.
Amrila barely lifted her head, her mind pulling her deep into herself.  "We trained together."
"Did you train with all of them?  They all looked around the same age."
Amrila stopped.  She turned and looked at him for the first time since they left.  "Yes.  We were all in the same class with Tennet.  It appears I was the only one in that class not corrupted by his ideals."
She continued on at a slow pace.  She did not seem to want to catch them anymore.  At least, she was stalling for time.  She did not want to explain anything else it seemed, as she grew quiet, her body tense with whirling thought  "Well, since you do not want to talk about it, tell me when the blood moon is.  We need to be able to get there on time."
"About a week away.  Trust me, we will get there on time.  In fact, we have a few days to spare.  I suggest we stall so we do not come upon any more mages or sell-swords.  Who knows how many of them Tennet has now.  Until they are locked in the summoning spell, we are as good as dead."
"And there is the matter of the larger demon they just released."
Amrila sighed.  "I do not think we need to worry about it.  I sensed it earlier.  It will do harm, but it is not really focused on anything or angry.  The most it can do is destroy some of the plant life.  It is not a greater demon like the one they plan to release."
Maylorn sighed.  "Tell me what you are planning.  You have been quiet this entire time I am sure you have been thinking of a plan.  It better be a good one."
"Well, we only have one option," Amrila replied.  "So no, I have not been thinking of a plan.  There is only two entrances into that cave.  One is directly from Raevar and takes days to walk through.  The other is out into the forest.  It is the only available entrance, so that is the way we go.  Unfortunately, they will probably have it guarded or blocked off by the time they start."
"So, we break through.  I do not see that as an issue.  We should try to get there first.  Scout the area, see what we are up against and figure out the best way to take them out one by one."
"I already know the area.  I went there as a child a lot.  I just need to calculate the timing and what we will need to infiltrate them."
"And an escape plan."
Amrila paused.  "Let us just hope for an escape.  I have a feeling that may not be in the cards right now."
Maylorn pondered it for a long time.  He was not afraid to die.  His fear was never to accomplish something that would make a difference.  He supposed this could count, however he believed Amrila would find a way to destroy Tennet's work and make it out alive.
"I have something I want to explain to you," Amrila stated, suddenly turning around.  She shoved something into his hand.  It looked like a twig altered with magic.  There was a slight glow coming from within the curling pair of sticks.  "Ever see something like this in the war?"
"No, what is it?"
"It's a wand.  Almost like a staff but on a miniature scale."
Maylorn looked at her, confused.  She chuckled.  "That light inside.  It creates an energy focus.  Mages with chaos magic use it.  I have only seen it in another situation if it is a family heirloom to mages, but generally they rarely use it.  But those with chaos magic need it."
"Chaos magic?"
"It is a form of arcane.  Too powerful to control and regularly paired with necromancy and shadow magic.  Though shadow magic is not nearly as terrible.  People with chaos magic can destroy entire armies if not controlled by one of these or by a staff.  Though staffs are used by many."
"So why are wands not used as often?"
Amrila took it back, shoving it into her pack and continuing on.  "It is also seen like a status symbol.  Wands have not been used in ages.  Only the mage themselves can create their wand and they need to understand how to make it.  That is why it is an heirloom mostly.  Those with direct dependency of the maker may also use it, but it takes time to learn to use."
"Why is it only usable by the maker?"
"You see the glowing light?"
Maylorn glanced at it again.  The light was a blue color.  "Yes."
"It is a faerie.  A specific kind with the ability to amplify and focus magic properties.  The maker enslaves it, so it must obey the maker and its kin.  It is not required to obey anyone else, so it does not."
"Did he make it?"
"No.  An old ancestor.  He told me all about it when I met him."
Amrila seemed to be over the conversation.  Vespera took off ahead.  They briefly fell into silence, but Maylorn still had questions.
"Can we release it?"
"It will die if you try."
"Better than being in an eternal prison."
Amrila stopped and looked back at him.  "I suppose you have a point.  Maybe I can ask it.  I suppose right now is not the best time though.  It was just freed from its owner, it may be alright living in the wand."
Maylorn's brows furrowed.  "I do not follow."
"Faes are people like us.  Let it choose its own fate."
"Is that why you did not make one?"
This caused Amrila to hesitate again.  "It will not work with my magic.  There is only a certain amount of chaos one can handle."
Maylorn pondered the idea of enslaving a living creature.  One with intelligence and emotional understanding.  Maylorn could feel the anger and frustration swelling within him.  "Are staffs made the same way?"
Amrila turned back to him, a little surprised by the question.  "No.  They are made with ethereal jewels.  There is a vast cave system in the north where the stones are found.  Depending where you go, the stones have different properties and can be used by other mages like elemental and nature mages.  Even healers use the stones, however only in their raw form."
"And I assume the mage does not have to make it?"
"No.  There are mages similar to blacksmiths or silversmiths that take on the duty of making staffs and weapon enchantment.  They can use any sort of material a mage requests."
Maylorn let the idea sink in for a long moment.  He knew very little of the magic world, and her knowledge opened his mind up to understanding what they could be up against and how to stop it.  "Does anyone we are up against have weapons like that?"
"Yes.  And no, you will not be able to destroy them.  Not unless you also use an enchanted weapon."
"But you can.  As a mage I mean."
Amrila stopped her horse, allowing Maylorn's to step up beside hers.  Her amber eyes watched him carefully.  "I need you to understand something, Maylorn.  I will not be able to use the full extent of my magic without killing you."
Maylorn already knew she would speculate this.  If she needed to use her magic, chances were no one would make it out alive.  Still, from what he already witnessed, she seemed to have decent control of it.
"When we first met, you told me you could barely use your magic.  I have seen otherwise.  Sure, your magic can be a little chaotic, but you have shown control of it."
Amrila stared at him, carefully calculating her next words.  "I did not lie.  Before we met I barely used my magic.  I destroyed many things.  Thinking about it now, even though the magic I have used recently is dangerous, it has not been as destructive as what I am use to.  I suppose in the right situation it can work in my benefit.  But that does not mean I can control it."
"I think you can.  Trust me I have seen some chaotic magic used in the war, and sometimes it ends with the mage doing injury to his own people.  You have not done that."
Amrila's brows furrowed.  "But I have.  I just killed people who understood me.  People I considered friends."
"But their path is not yours."
Amrila's gaze narrowed.  "When did you become so goddamn wise?  I thought that was for old people.  Wait how old are you again?"
Maylorn rolled his eyes and pushed his horse forward.  "Very funny."
"I try."
He turned to see the wide grin on her face.  Shaking his head again, he returned his gaze to the path ahead.
It seemed to brighten as the sky greyed.  Maylorn could sense the coming of a storm.
"Well, at least it will be easier to follow them with fresh snow on the ground," Maylorn joked.
"Actually, that worries me," Amrila replied.  "Shadows can be attracted to this kind of weather.  That means it will be easier for them to summon.  Especially if it lasts until the blood moon."
Maylorn watched her in confusion.  "Then where are they?"
Amrila smiled.  "Well they adapted to our environment.  They do not really like to be seen.  They move within shadows.  You will not be able to see them if you try hard enough, but they are there."
Maylorn, as if taken by her suggestion, looked down at his horse's shadow.  He did not see anything, but he felt a suddenly aware the demons might be traveling within.  The thought prickled the skin around his neck.
Then, he looked back at her.  "You are just trying to mess with me."
"No."
Her face remained serious.
Maylorn continued to stare at her, hoping she would say something to reassure they were safe from them.  She did not.
Then again, she did not seem concerned by the fact demons were following them.  Even the one that was running around destroying some of the forest.  She seemed completely at ease.
"They do not hurt shadow mages, do they?"
Amrila shook her head.  "They do not really hurt anyone unless provoked by something.  They are like bees.  They only care about their environment, their food, and their survival.  People do not really interfere because people are afraid of them."
"I never imagined a demon being compared to a bee."
She chuckled.  "Neither are cheery in our eyes.  But both have a purpose."
"And they sting."
"No shit."