Chapter Forty-Eight: Reinforcements

"Uncle Danny?" Cal pokes her head around the side of the dojo, finding him alone with his head in his hands. Daniel quickly stands, dusting off his shorts and putting on a smile.
"Hey kiddo. Uh where's Robby?"
"Back at the house. I think we need to talk."
"Please tell me you aren't pregnant." Daniel sighs worriedly.
"What? No! No! I'm not even close to being pregnant! This isn't about me or me and Robby. This is about you and aunt Amanda."
"Oh... we're fine Cal."

"Yeah and so we're my parents. I know that neither of you would ever do something to intentionally hurt the other. But I think unintentionally you've put her on the back burner in favor of the dojo. You've been sleeping on the couch for Christ's sake!"
"Hey, watch the mouth. You know you really shouldn't be worrying about this stuff. Youre just a -"
"A kid? Yeah, I am. But I'm a kid who never got to be a kid once we left. I had to be the adult when my father got sick, and when he died. And it looks like I still need to be the adult now. At least I've got some practice under my belt."

"Cal, it doesn't concern you." Daniel presses, walking away.
"Except it does! I'm not living in a place where I'm constantly on edge! Nor should any of you. You need to prioritize her over the dojo."
"We're just getting started here. I can't just leave!"
"Yes, you can. I've called in reinforcements. I can handle things here. You need to rekindle the love you two have. The love that I saw and my father envied. You can't keep ignoring her calls or ignoring the problem. The problem is that you're worn so thin and think you have to do everything all on your own. You don't. You have to try to be more present. Please."
Daniel sighs, nodding slowly, "All right. All right. You're right. I've been neglecting Amanda and the auto shop. I think... I think this is just easier than that."
"You took the easy way once and it left you and my father with lasting trauma. Don't make the same mistake twice, because once you do it again - it's no longer a mistake."

"You really are your father's daughter. Always talking sense into me." Daniel chuckles.
"Yeah, Im just a tad more feisty." Cal shrugs.
"Oh ho ho no. Your dad could be downright scary."
"Did you not hear the kids say they're scared of me?"
"No, adults too. Though you're definitely getting there."
"I've always had to fight for everything I have. That spirit never really leaves you, you just find a new use for it."
"You found a very productive use for it. He'd be proud, just like I am." Daniel pats her on the back lightly, watching her smile.
"Then make us both proud. My father always liked Amanda." Cal pats his shoulder lightly before standing and walking away.

-

"Hey Robby." Sam smiles, bounding over to the boy.
"Hey, uh Cal isn't here right now. Something about your dad needing a stern talking to." Robby chuckles.
"I know. I came to see you, actually." Sam states coyly.
"Oh, uh well what's up?"
"Just... look I feel bad that Cal is always jetting off somewhere and you're left here, all alone."
"Oh! Don't worry! She always asks me if I want to join, or if I have any ideas on what to do about the dojo, and I get to sleep next to her so it doesn't bother me at all."
"Oh... I just figured maybe she wasn't really being here for you... and if you wanted to... talk, well I'm here."
"Thanks Sam. I appreciate it. But we're really good. Really, really good." Robby smiles, tucking his chin to his chest.
"Um... okay. Well... glad to hear it!" Sam offers him a small grin before turning heel and walking away.

"Hey Sammy." Cal smiles, stepping through the front door.
"Hey..." Sam continues her walk up stairs without so much as a sideways glance.
"Okay then..." Cal mutters, toeing off her shoes. Robby comes from behind and wraps his arms around her as she does so, making her giggle.
"Hey love." Cal smiles, turning her head to give him a soft kiss.
"Hello my beautiful flower." Robby lays his chin on her shoulder, hugging her tightly before spinning her around so she's facing him.

"Missed you."
"I wasn't even gone for an hour!" Cal laughs.
"Eternity!"
"Sap." Cal jests, putting her forehead to his own.
"You love it."
"Yeah, I do." Cal agrees, another giggle emanating from her lips before they're preoccupied by yet another strong kiss.
"Come on, up the stairs before we get a stern talking to." Cal watches Robby smile and relent, pulling her up the stairs and through her bedroom door.

"How did it go?"
"Better than expected. He's going to try to dial it back at the dojo."
"You really can do just about anything huh?"
"I can try, that usually counts for something."
"And she's modest." Robby chuckles, putting his forehead to her own.
"When's abuela coming?" He questions softly, ghosting his lips over her own.
"Tomorrow."
"Then we better make today count huh?" Robby smiles, watching her own lips mirror his before they're placed onto his own.

-

"Abuela!" Cal cheers, giving Lucille a hug and helping her with her bags.
"Hello mijita!"
"Thank you for coming on such short notice."
"Oh like I need a reason to come see my son and his family! Just nice to have one and be wanted."
"All the same, thank you."
"You are very welcome. How have things been with you? Still seeing that nice boy?"
Cal smiles, nodding, "Yes. Robby. He's getting the guest room ready for you."
"Oh, a keeper then!" Lucille titters making Cal laugh.
"Yes he is. He's actually been staying here with the family for the last month or so. His mother is... out of town, for a while."

"And where will he be sleeping now that I'm taking the guest room?"
"Um... well, he's actually been staying with me in my room... with many, many rules of course. Rules that we have followed to the letter."
"He's been sleeping with you?" Lucille's voice raises an octave, making Cal cringe.
"Yes, but the door must remain open. We aren't allowed to be in the bathroom at the same time unless the door is open and we are brushing our teeth or hair. We are not sexually active abuela. This home and it's rules are respected, as are all those within it."

Lucille looks to the young girl, one who has lived through tragedy after tragedy, loved and lost so much. The one thing Lucille always knew was that this young girl would never lie to her, if she promised they were not engaging in such acts - she would believe her.
"Very well. I won't pretend to like it, but you have always been honest with me and mine. I trust you." Cal smiles, giving her another hug.
"Oh ho ho!" Lucille chuckles, hugging her back tightly.
"Now, fill me in on what's been going on."

-

"Ma? What're you-"
"Calanthe gave me a call."
Daniel looks to his adopted daughter, "Reinforcements?"
"Precisely. And she promised to play nice with Aunt Amanda."
"I'm always nice, mijita." Lucille says pointedly.
"Nicer."
"Very well. Nicer."
"Thank you." Daniel whispers, kissing Cal's forehead.

"No more excuses. Robby, Sam, and I will work with the kids at the dojo. You work your job at the shop. I put you in a good place organisational wise. Just show up and be there for her."
"I will."
"And I'll take care of the house and my dear grandson." Lucille chimes in.
"Thank you ma."
"Of course. Next time, just call. Can't let Cal do all the work now can we?"
Daniel chuckles, shaking his head, "No, no we cannot."
"No matter how good at it she is." Lucille gives Cal's hand a light squeeze.

-

Author's Note: Hello all! I want to apologise for the short chapter and for the unfortunate fact that there will not be one next week. If you read my other story that I update weekly, you'll already know of this, but I have multiple chronic conditions. These conditions sadly wreak havoc on my body. In this case, my mouth has necrosis due to nerve damage. Next week I will be going in for surgery to try to remove as much necrotic tissue as possible. The hope is that this will be a one and done thing, but that hope is not widely supported by facts and figures. Due to this, I will not be available to post this next coming week. I need to focus on my surgery and recovery, as well as my pre-op program. I don't want to worry anyone - I'm not dying, my tissue is. I am truly sorry for this, please know that this book and my other one have brought me so much joy as have all of you. This isn't the end, just a soft break to focus on my health. Again, I apologise and thank you for your time and kindness as I navigate through this.