Chapter Twenty-Six: Cant or Wont

"Let me get this straight... first date you got injured, next date you got catcalled, one after that he almost got in a fight, and you still want to see him again?" Sam questions her sister confused.
"It wasn't like it was his fault! Ten year olds are vicious little bastards. Plus I handled the catcall and the fight. He wouldn't have tried to fight someone if I didn't open my big mouth and call out a guy for harassing a young girl." Cal laughs, closing her locker.
"If you say so Cal. Where's he taking you this time?"
"Don't know. He said I could pick."
"Oooo that must be nice. I know how much you like control!"
"I like control because I've had none my whole life."
"So then what were you thinking?"
"Don't know. Ideas?" Cal asks her hopefully, biting at her bottom lip.
"Sorry, haven't been on a date in a while."
Cal sighs, shaking her head, "You are absolutely zero help!"

"H-hey Sam, Cal."
"Hey." The girls smile at a flustered Miguel, "I'm going to head to class... bye Miguel!"
"Bye Cal!" The second Miguel turns his back Cal makes kissy faces at Sam who rolls her eyes with a soft smile peeking out of her lips.

-

"This is a date Sam. I don't care what you say. It's a date. Miguel is a sweet kid. You'll be fine. Plus he totally fucked Kyler and his cronies up."
"It is not a date. It's two people hanging out at the same place, having fun, separately but together."
"That's a fucking date!"

"Oh god, both of you are dating now?" Amanda huffs.
"It's not a date!"
"Oh it's definitely a date Aunt Amanda."
"Cal!" Sam throws a pillow at her, making Cal erupt in giggles.
"What?!"
"As long as you're both being safe?"
"Oh completely! Public places only." Cal clarifies.
"Good. Let's not tell your father yet, hm?"
"That's probably smart." Sam agrees.

"Guess who got to touch the bonsais today?" Amanda grins at the two, a keen attempt at switching the awkward conversation.
"Robby?" They both smirk.
"How do you know about Robby?" Sam's eyes widen, looking to Cal for help.
"Oh! Uh dad said something about him being his new karate partner? Told me I was off the hook."
Cal nods, "Plus I had to tell her about the guy you tried to set me up with."
"You tried to set them up? Mom!" Sam whines.
"What? He's cute!"
"Gross."
"Not for me! Geez."

Cal's phone starts ringing making her excuse herself to answer behind a closed door, away from prying ears.
"Hey babe."
"Hey flower. Look I'm really sorry but I need to finish up some things at the shop tonight. Is it okay if we do something tomorrow?"
"Yeah of course! No problem."
"Thanks flower. I'm really sorry."
"Hey, it's okay. Really. Sam's having her own date tonight so maybe I'll chaperone."
"Gonna spy on your sister?"
"It's not spying, it's..." Cal searches for the right word, huffing when she realises he's right, "nope you're right it's definitely spying."
"Just be careful okay?" Robby says nervously, gritting his teeth as he looks around the darkened lot of LaRusso Auto.

"Hey, what's going on? You're worrying me."
"Nothing, nothing. I... I ran into Trey and Cruz today. Guess I'm a bit on edge."
"Oh god, is everything all right? They didn't give you too hard of a time right?"
"No, no. They're just... stupid. And I'm stupid for entertaining them. But I'm making it right."
"Robby... I don't like the sound of that."
"I'll be fine flower. I'll see you tomorrow."

Robby ends the call, sighing to himself as he rubs his face. He can't let them in. He's worked hard for this job. He's worked hard to be a part of something real. He can't let that go, and if he has to get his ass beat, so be it.

-

"Where are you going with that?" Amanda questions Cal, who is balancing a Tupperware in one hand and her phone, keys, and drink in the other. An evolutionary quirk found only in women due to their lack of pockets.
"Just wanted to bring a plate to a friend."
"A friend or a boyfriend?" Amanda smiles, hearing Cal laugh, "Nevermind, just go. Drive safely!"
"I will! Promise!" Cal waves goodbye before getting into her car and driving over to the auto shop, intent on bringing Robby dinner since he was working overtime. She didn't expect to see him out front nor did she expect to see Trey and Cruz when she got out of her car ready to round the corner.