Chapter Forty-Three: Mall Brawl

Content warning: canon-level violence, PDA, discussions about the future, Robby worrying about becoming Johnny, mention of Robby's parents' relationship and how he came about, etc.

-

"Cal, I need you to help me with Demetri. You know him, and he's..."
"Anal retentive? Lacking self-esteem? Whiny?"
"All of the above." Daniel chuckles.
"I'll help." Cal laughs.
"I could try to help too?" Robby offers, toweling off his hair.
"Might be a good idea!" Cal smiles, watching him nod and walk into the closet to put on some clothes.
"Perfect, tomorrow? Say 11 o'clock?" Daniel hopes.
"Sounds good. That good for you babe?" Cal calls.
"Yeah that's good!" Robby yells back.
"Great. Thank you, thank you, thank you! You are a lifesaver!" Daniel smiles, kissing Cal's head before he leaves her room and closes the door.

"How bad is this going to be?" Robby laughs, jumping into Cal's bed.
"He's a good kid. He just doesn't like to go out of his comfort zone, like ever."
"So pretty bad huh?"
"Pretty bad." Cal laughs.

-

"Cal! Can you please tell Mr. LaRusso that I'm fragile." Demetri begs, stopping the kata.
"You're only fragile because you haven't learned your strengths yet. And you can't learn those strengths by doing nothing. You've got to power through. You're only hurting yourself by not trying."
"I'm hurting myself trying!"
"Everyone hurts themselves at first, that's just the way of the world. Now stop stalling and do your kata." Cal says pointedly, watching him sigh but nod.

"I didn't know how whiny you meant till now." Robby chuckles, getting back into position on the floating dock in the pond. Cal laughs, grabbing onto him as she teeters on the dock. Robby holds her by her hips, both moving to the center.
"You know, I still haven't danced with you yet." Robby smiles, looking down at her.
"Huh. Well we can change that pretty easily." Cal smiles, wrapping her arms around his neck.
"No music though."
"We don't need it." Robby smiles, nodding before pulling her closer, kissing her forehead softly as they sway.

"Can almost tune out the grunting and whining." Robby chuckles.
"Almost." Cal giggles, turning to look over her shoulder.
"See! He can do it! He's just stubborn as all hell!" Cal whispers, pointing to the two.
"Huh, sounds like someone else I know."
Cal huffs before pushing Robby off the dock.
"Cal! Come on!" Daniel yells over.
"He deserved it!" A soft squeal makes it out of her lips as Robby tilts the dock towards him making her slip down into the water with him.

"I am so glad we drove separate cars!" Daniel calls, laughing slightly.
"I don't have to do that right? I'm not the most adept swimmer and like I've said my limbs are disproportionate and I really can't-"
"Okay! That's enough for today!" Daniel groans, completely exasperated.

"Did I break him?" Demetri asks worriedly as he walks over to a soaking wet Cal and Robby.
"Not entirely. You just have to try more Demetri. You can't keep interrupting or second guessing."
"Cal - have you met me?"
"I have indeed, and I believe you can do this if you try. I wouldn't have begged you to join if I didn't. You just need to get out of your own head!"
"My head is attached to my body Cal! It's hard to get out of it!"
"You are smart enough to know exactly what I meant, don't even try that shit with me."
"Look, man," Robby sighs standing up from the ground, "I get it. It all seems ridiculous. The chores, the kata, but it serves a purpose. If you don't do them - you're setting yourself up for failure. Ask questions, don't make excuses, and just try. Before you give Mr. LaRusso an aneurysm preferably." Robby chuckles, patting his shoulder.

Cal watches Demetri deflate and nod before he walks away.
"Thank you for stepping in."
"Could tell you were getting aggravated." Robby chuckles, helping Cal off the ground.
"He's a smart kid, nice too... he's just so set in his ways and he can't see anything else to be in the realm of possibility."
"He'll learn, like we did."
"I hope so."
"Keep believing in him. You never gave up on me, don't start."
"I won't. I know he can do it. I just need to smack some sense into him." Cal giggles.
"Sooner or later he'll realize it's all to help him, hopefully that comes before you smack him."
"He better hope so." Cal jests, making Robby laugh.