Lovely - spencer reid

You suffered from self-harm and your biggest fear was that Spencer would discover your scars.

In the three months you had been given the honor of dating Spencer Reid, neither of you had been in any state of undress around the other

In the three months you had been given the honor of dating Spencer Reid, neither of you had been in any state of undress around the other. Meaning you'd managed to hide the worst parts of yourself from the man you were beginning to fall in love with.
When you were at home, you were free to wear whatever you want without worrying that someone would be able to see them. On this Thursday afternoon, you had only been in one of your bigger shirts and a pair of shorts, meaning that your thighs were visible.
A knock on the door had interrupted you somewhere in the middle of The Catcher in the Rye. You were sipping on a glass of wine, enjoying your rare quiet night and were not at all overjoyed when you had been disturbed.
Expecting it to simply be a package you were waiting on, you didn't pay any mind to what you had been wearing. Instead of slipping on a pair of sweatpants like you normally did when you had company, you opened the door in your skimpy shorts and book in hand.
Contrary to your previous assumption, there was not a amazon delivery waiting outside your door. Instead it was your boyfriend who wasn't supposed to be back for another three days.
"Spencer!" You gasped excitedly, throwing your arms around his neck, dropping your book to the floor, and nearly knocking him over. He chuckled knowingly, his hands splayed across you back as he nuzzled his head into your hair. You pulled your face out from being tucked into his neck, narrowing your eyes at him. "What're you doing so early?" You questioned suspiciously, planting your feet on the ground and ushering him inside of your apartment.
"I wanted to surprise you, that's what good boyfriends do, right?" He rhetorically asked, his tone teasing. You rolled your eyes at his sassiness as you closed the door, turning back to him with a grin on your face. He stepped closer to you, placing his hands on your hips and leaning down to connect his lips with yours, all the while backing up so he could fall back onto the couch, pulling you down onto his lap along with him. You snaked your arms around his neck, shuffling even closer to him.
His hands moved from your hips, traveling down your sides and landing on your thighs. You felt your entire body tense as his thumbs grazed over the crisscrossed scars, and you were sure he could feel it too. You pulled away, frozen in place as his eyes drifted down to your exposed skin. You squeezed your eyes shut, not wanting to see the look of pity in his eyes.
You weren't expecting him, or anyone for that matter. You never liked to show anyone your scars, it also went one of two ways. Either they thought it was too much and left, or made you promise that you would .It was exhausting.
"Love.." He sighed. Even though he frequently called you affectionate nicknames, they never failed to cause butterflies to swarm in your stomach. "Please look at me." So you did, and instead of seeing pity like you had been dreading, you saw empathy and compassion. He removed his hands from your thighs, opting to use them to hold your face tenderly, keeping your eyes on his. "I am so sorry you were ever this sad." He leaned forward, placing the softest of kisses to your forehead.
Your eyes welled with tears at his words and how sincere he sounded. Your bottom lip quivered as you ducked your head down, tucking it into the crook of his neck as you cried. He stayed silent, rubbing his hand up and down your back and kissing the crown of your head every so often.
"You know I love you, don't you?"
You pulled back at that, your breath catching in your throat. Neither of you had ever said that yet, you had those same feelings, you just felt it was too early and he wouldn't reciprocate them. Hearing that he felt that same was deafening. It momentarily stopped your melancholy tears, replacing them with joyful ones.
"I-I love you too, Spence." You whispered back, your voice shaky. His lips turned up into a smile, leaning forward to peck your lips.
"I care about you so much, my love. I am so, so sorry that you were ever at a point in your life where you were so lost. I'm here for you, always. If you ever need someone or if you feel like relapsing, I will be here." His words were a promise, a promise for a lifetime of a burden you didn't want him to carry. He seemed to sense your hesitation, so he pulled up the sleeve of his shirt, revealing the faded track-marks on his forearm. The sight broke your heart.
"I know what it's like to be at rock bottom, to want to resort to bad coping mechanisms and having no one to confide in. I know what it's like and the thought of you having to go through this alone again scares me, so I will be there for you. You have me, my love. I promise." He said, pulling his shirt back down once he was finished.
"Oh, Spencer." You smiled sadly, pulling him into you and hugging him tighter. "I will always be here for you, too. No matter what." You promised.
You both stuck to your word. On nights where you felt so low all you wanted to do was indulge in your past resolutions, he was there to get you through it. Whether it was simply being there and sitting in silence, or holding you on the bathroom floor while you cried, he was there.
On nights where old cravings came back when he was having a rough day and he was so angry at everyone, at the world, you were there. Even if he was yelling at you and telling you the worst of things, you were there, because you cared and loved him unconditionally.