Chapter 137: Sylverton

Start from the beginning

Lieutenant Matthews leaned in close to the squad, his voice low and steady. "Remember, stay sharp and keep calm. We've practiced this over and over again. Stick to the plan, and we'll get through this together."

Bulldog Squad members exchanged quick nods of acknowledgment, swallowing their anxiety and focusing on the mission at hand. The mages cast their illusion spells hiding Bulldog Squad behind the facade of an empty truck. The SIB operatives at the wheels readied their documents and prepared to do the talking.

As the first truck in the convoy pulled up to the inspection point, a group of stern Gra Valkan guards approached. Jonas listened from the truck as the guards scrutinized the documents and questioned the operatives ahead. They knew they had to remain motionless and silent, so they wiped away the sweat that had begun to bead on their brows and calmed their breathing.

The line of trucks inched forward as each vehicle underwent inspection. With every passing minute, Jonas felt the tension in his chest tighten. He observed the other members of Bulldog Squad, noticing that they, too, were becoming increasingly anxious. The mages fared even worse, physically straining to maintain their delicate spell. Being the last truck in the convoy, these mages had to exert their mana for longer than the others up ahead.

Finally, it was their turn. Their truck rolled to a stop, and a Gra Valkan officer approached it. He demanded the papers, his voice cold and authoritative. The operative at the wheel calmly handed over the documents and replied to his questions with practiced ease. The officer then came around to inspect the truck's cargo, finding nothing inside.

Jonas could see the officer's eyes narrow as he examined the papers, occasionally glancing at the back of the truck. The seconds felt like hours as the inspection continued. The air inside the truck was stifling, and the tension among the squad members was palpable. The mages looked like they were about to pop a blood vessel with how hard they were straining to maintain the illusion.

While they waited, Jonas noticed that the officer's radio crackled to life. He strained to listen, trying to discern if the message could affect their mission. The officer's expression remained unchanged, and he didn't say a word, leaving Jonas and the others wondering what information the radio carried. He could only hope it was a routine transmission or update, and not a warning that revealed their identities.

The SIB operative continued to converse with the officer, expertly providing answers to his questions and maintaining his composure. He expertly steered the conversation to emphasize the urgency of his supposed resupply mission, subtly pressuring the officer to expedite the inspection process. The operative's psychological prodding proved successful and at last, the officer waved them forward with a curt nod, seemingly satisfied with the documentation.

The truck lurched ahead, following the convoy into Sylverton. Relief coursed through Jonas as they slipped past, and he felt his heart rate begin to slow. They had passed the first hurdle, but the mission was far from over.

As they entered the Gra Valkan forward operating base, the squad members scanned their surroundings, mentally cataloging possible escape routes, hiding spots, and points of interest. The trucks were directed to a parking area near a cluster of storage buildings. Once inside, the operatives disembarked to confer with the Gra Valkans there, distracting them. Lieutenant Matthews signaled the mages to cease spellcasting and for the squad to unload. The mages were more than happy to be relieved of their strenuous duty, but were in no position to move and had to be helped by Bulldog Squad.

Avoiding the complacent eyes of the guards, Bulldog Squad and Vanguard Squad slinked into the shadows, hiding and biding their time. Hidden among the storage buildings, they waited for the signal that would mark the beginning of their operation. Their hearts raced in anticipation, adrenaline pumping through their veins. They knew that timing was crucial. As they waited, they watched the Gra Valkan soldiers, studying their routines and noting the location of various defenses.