𝘣𝘪𝘳𝘵𝘩𝘥𝘢𝘺

♪  𝘪𝘵'𝘴 𝘮𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘥𝘢𝘺, 𝘪𝘵'𝘴 𝘢 𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘺 𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘺  ♪

The man sat in the center of his dimly lit room, surrounded by the glinting scarlet eyes he had collected over the years. He had locked himself in, as he often did when he needed to think or clear his mind. Today was his birthday, but he had no intention of celebrating. He believed that he didn't deserve to have a special day, and he had no one to share it with anyway.

The man was a stoic individual of not many words, intimidating to some and a nightmare to many. He wouldn't think of something as childish as a 'birthday party'. The only thing he was focused on was avenging his clan.

The clock had hit twelve o' clock, signaling it was officially the next day. April 4th. Suddenly, his thoughts were interrupted by an unscheduled knock at the door.

'Who could be here at this time of night?'

Kurapika chose to ignore it, since he had done it many times. He went back to focusing, only to hear another knock. After another, and another. This person was very persistent in getting in, but he knew no one except for him was allowed in this room.

The knocks drove him mentally I'll, as if he wasn't already. Getting up, the blonde marched toward the door and furiously swung it open.

The shorter/taller figure jumped at the sudden action, not expecting it at all since she had not heard any prior footsteps. He must be very good at concealing his presence.

"Oh, it's just you. What are you doing here? How did you find me?" Kurapika quizzed.

"I asked Melody for some help. Anyways, that's not important! What's important is this!" Y/n spoke happily, as if they haven't seen each other in years.

She lifted a cake towards the male, in what she assumed to be his favorite flavor, vanilla.

"What's this for?" He asked, taking the cake in hand.

"Your birthday! Don't tell me you forgot..." y/n grew worried. Had he been so focused on his goal he forget something as big as his birthday?

"I appreciate your kind gesture, but I cannot accept it as I am extremely focused and cannot let anything sidetrack me." He spoke, walking back into his room slowly shutting the door.

Gripping the door, y/n held it open before he could close it. Kurapika was taken aback. Someone had stepped up to him in the first time in awhile and he didn't know what to do since he'd always gaslight everyone including himself into having the last word.

"Kurapika, you're going to listen to me. I came all this way to make you feel something you probably haven't in a while, and you aren't going to stop me. How you're treating yourself is severely unhealthy!" Y/n lectured the male, who now had the door wide open.

"There are people that care about you, me, Melody, the others. They wanted to come with but they couldn't unfortunately." Y/n informed him, his heart fluttering the slightest bit at the thought of his friends. "You've lost yourself, Kurapika. I cant lose you completely, so please let me do this for you."

With a warm smile, she raised the cake up to him once more. Kurapika wanted to protest, but somewhere in his heart he knew she was right.

With a ghost of a smile, he moved aside to let her in. Y/n cheered and strolled in, suddenly taken aback with how much eyes he's collected since they separated.

"You sure did get to work! I'm happy for you, Kurapika. Truly. That doesn't mean you can't take a rest from time to time." She was right, he knew she was, but he couldn't help but grasp any opportunity he had at getting back the eyes.

Placing the cake on a nearby table, the two sat in silence, staring at it. Kurapika was reluctant, he wasn't sure if he'd like it or not since he had not eaten anything sweet in forever.

"Kurapika, when's the last time you had a birthday cake?" Y/n sadly asked, realizing he must've missed out on so many birthdays.

"Seven years ago."

Y/n's heart broke at this, but she was happy she was here to break the chain of cake-less birthdays.

"You don't have to worry about that anymore." She smiled, placing the big two and zero candles on the cake.

Grabbing the gas-fueled lighter from her pocket, she set the candle's tips on fire.

"Make a wish!" Y/n cooed.

"I wouldn't do something as childish as making a meaningless wish."

Y/n stared disappointingly at his unreadable face. He mentally winced as he scanned the face she was giving him, as if she was severely disappointed in him.

"Fine." Kurapika sweat dropped and closed his eyes, pretending to make a wish.

He couldn't see, but he knew she was cheesing extremely hard right now. Eyes still closed, he blew out the candles labeled '12'.

At that moment, Kurapika was twelve again. Sitting in the dining room of his small-kurtan house, surrounded by his mother and father with a homemade cake placed neatly in front of him. The cream-colored candles labeled 'one' and 'two' slowly dripped onto the cake due to his lack of being able to choose what to wish for.

He could've wished for a toy, or a dog, a cat, or a new book. But Kurapika didn't wish for any of those things because he's not living the same life he lived when he was twelve years old.

Kurapika wished for his family back. The energetic and bubbly blonde woman, paired with the complete opposite raven haired male. The small family he'd always known. The home he could ever go to.

He knew it was childish to wish for something so impossible, but Kurapika wanted to be a child again. Even if it meant just for a second.

He wanted to be a child. Where his mom would take him down to the park, or his father would pick him up from school early for a doctors appointment, to something as small as rushing downstairs to open Christmas presents with his family.

At that moment, he truly did feel like he was back with his parents at the familiar yet distant memory of a dinging room with a circular wooden table.

Until he opened his eyes, where multiple sets of scarlet eyes glared at him. Kurapika came back to reality and realized he couldn't reverse time, but he could go forward.

"What did you wish for?" Y/n asked as she licked the candle she took out from the cake.

"If I tell you, it won't come true." He smiled, taking a taste of the cake as well.

"There's the guy I know! Come on, hurry and cut the cake so I can eat some! It's bad luck for me if I cut it before you!"

Kurapika laughed and soaked in the sunny and bubbly energy he rarely had in life. Her laugh made him feel good, he was happy for the first time in awhile. Perhaps he'll keep y/n around for a little bit longer.