Chapter 31: Woah

I pounded on the door, my fists banging over and over. It felt good to hit something. “Open the door Liam,” I screamed, even though I knew that wouldn’t do me any good. “Open up.” I kicked the door, then slid down the wall and dropped my head in my hands. I was starting to get a headache. I didn’t know what to believe.

“Hey Brittany,” I looked up at Liam’s happy voice. He was smiling down at me from the open doorway, but his face fell when he saw my eyes. “What’s wrong?”

“N-nothing,” I stood up and brushed off my shorts. “I’m fine.”

“You don’t look fine,” Liam looked me over before turning and heading inside. I discretely wiped my eyes on the edge of shirt and followed him into the living room.

“You said running makes you forget right?”

Liam gave me a confused look, “Yeah running makes me feel better.”

“Can we go on a run?” I wiped my nose with the back of my hand. “I don’t feel like thinking right now.”

“All right,” Liam studied my outfit. “You’re gonna need trainers if we’re going running though.”

“Fine, I’ll be back in five minutes.” I pushed out of the house and hurried towards ours. I crossed my fingers and hoped that Harry was still in the basement practicing. I couldn’t face him right now.

I slipped inside and tiptoed down the hallway. I couldn’t hear the band downstairs but there didn’t seem to be anyone upstairs so I breathed a sigh of relief. I grabbed a pair of trainers, athletic shorts from Harry’s bag, and a hoody. I bundled it all up in my arms and ran out of the house, glad that I had managed to escape without seeing Harry. I needed to figure out what to say to him before I saw him again.

“Brittany!”

Oh no. I stopped and closed my eyes. Not now.

“Hey babe,” his arms went around me from behind. “I was just at Liam’s looking for you. How was coffee with Amelie?”

I didn’t respond, trying to control my pounding heart.

“What’s wrong love?”

“I have to go Harry,” I pulled out of his embrace and ran towards Liam’s house.

“Britt!” I could hear Harry running behind me, confusion lacing his voice. “Stop.”

“I don’t want to talk to you Harry,” I had reached Liam’s front door and I grabbed the knob, feeling the cool metal on my skin. I had just twisted it when a hand wrapped itself around my wrist and I was tugged away. Harry spun me around, forcing me to look into his eyes.

“Are you okay baby?”

“No Harry, I’m not okay. And I would appreciate it if you just left me alone until I can figure some things out.”

“Brittany,” Harry’s green eyes were flooded with concern. “What’s going on?”

“Later,” I reached behind me, blindly finding the doorknob. I twisted it and the door opened. I stepped backwards into the cool hallway. “We’ll talk later.” Then I slammed the door in Harry’s face.

I changed in the bathroom before wandering around and trying to find Liam. He wasn’t in the living room where I had left him, nor was he in the kitchen. I climbed the stairs, calling his name as I went. I finally found him in his bedroom, lying face down on his bed.

“Liam?” I sat at the edge of the mattress and shook his shoulder. He didn’t move. “Liam!” I shook him harder.

When he finally looked up, I saw the streak of tears on his cheeks. “Liam what’s wrong?”