Chapter 20: Choice

The old lady was lying on her side on the ground, with her face covered by tangled hair. She was dressed in dirty clothes that looked like they had just come from working in the fields. Gu Jiao's first reaction was that she was a villager from this village who had fainted at her doorstep for some reason.

The loud noise just now was the sound of her head hitting the door panel, and her forehead was cut and bleeding.

Although Gu Jiao had encountered scammers in her past life, she had never seen anyone willing to risk their life for a scam.

The other party had really fainted.

Gu Jiao squatted down and wanted to check who she was and send her back to her village. But as soon as she turned the other person over and laid her flat, she realized that something was wrong.

There were symmetrical pale skin lesions and light red spots on her face, with blurred borders between the spots, and there were also some on the back of both hands.

Gu Jiao frowned slightly. This was clearly...

"Sis, we're back!"

At this moment, Gu Xiaoshuang, carrying an old book bag, came running towards Gu Jiao like a flying bird.

Gu Jiao turned her head to look at him, her gaze sharpening. "Don't come any closer!"

Gu Jiao had never spoken to Gu Xiaoshuang in such a stern tone before, and Gu Xiaoshuang was immediately stunned.

"Sis..." He took two more steps forward.

"I said don't come any closer!" Gu Jiao's tone became even colder.

Now, Gu Xiaoshuang was completely immobilized, standing dumbfounded about ten steps away from Gu Jiao.

He saw Gu Jiao and naturally also saw the old lady lying at her doorstep.

His intuition told him that this had something to do with the old lady.

He asked, "Sis, who is she?"

Gu Jiaoning glanced at him and said, "I don't know. You go back to the Gu family first."

Originally, she was planning to call Gu Xiaoshuang over for dinner, but now that something like this had happened, she couldn't guarantee the safety of the house and couldn't endanger Gu Xiaoshuang.

Gu Xiaoshuang was not happy about this, but since his sister said so, he would go back first.

"Well then, brother-in-law, I'll leave first." He turned to Xiao Liu Lang behind him and said.

Gu Jiao was slightly surprised. Was Xiao Liu Lang back too?

Not only Xiao Liu Lang, but Feng Lin also came along.

Feng Lin's classmate gave him a basket of pomelos as a thank you for helping him review his homework. Feng Lin gave half of them directly to Xiao Liulang, but worried that Xiao Liulang wouldn't be able to carry them, he sent them back to the village. As for Gu Xiaoshuang, he always bullies Xiao Liulang, so Feng Lin was a bit uneasy about Xiao Liulang going home with him and was watching them.

At this moment, Xiao Liulang and Feng Lin both noticed an old lady on the ground.

"You'd better not come over," Gu Jiao said to the two of them.

Feng Lin wrinkled his brow in a strange way, "Is she dead? Did you kill her?"

"Hey! What are you talking about!" Gu Xiaoshuang couldn't stand this little white face who always slandered his sister.

"I'm not wrong, am I? Something must have happened to the old lady, otherwise, why wouldn't we be allowed to come over?" Feng Lin said.

Xiao Liulang walked over with a cold expression.

"You... don't come over." Gu Jiao said.

Xiao Liulang had actually noticed something was wrong from far away. He approached and looked carefully before confirming his suspicion.

Feng Lin followed him quickly.

"Hey! Why did you all come over! Sister, I... I..." Gu Xiaoshuang scratched his head anxiously.

Feng Lin came to Xiao Liulang's side and looked at the old lady with red spots all over her face. A sense of foreboding surged in his heart. "Brother Xiao, this is..."

"Hansen's disease." Xiao Liulang frowned.

Feng Lin almost fell over when he heard this!

"This...this...this...this...this old lady has Hansen's disease..." Feng Lin stuttered.

It's worth noting that Hansen's disease is one of the most terrifying contagious diseases. It is said that if one person in a village gets infected, the whole village will get infected, and there is no cure for this disease. In the previous dynasty, tens of thousands of people died tragically because they did not take Hansen's disease seriously.

The first thing the emperor did after he ascended the throne in this dynasty was to establish Hansen's disease mountain and send all Hansen's disease patients there for centralized management.

"Did you touch her?" Xiao Liulang asked Gu Jiao calmly.

Gu Jiao nodded.

But she had only touched her lightly just now, and her skin wasn't broken, so the chances of getting infected were small.

But not everyone would think that way.

If it were known that Gu Jiao had contact with a Hansen's disease patient, she would definitely be sent to Hansen's disease mountain along with the patient.

Once you go up to Hansen's disease mountain, you can never come down.

Feng Lin pulled Xiao Liulang to a dozen steps away and said in horror, "You heard what she said, she touched the Hansen's disease patient, you must send her away immediately! Otherwise, your whole village will be infected!"

Xiao Liulang frowned.

Feng Lin stomped his feet and said, "Oh my God, Brother Xiao, you..."

"No one will be sent to Leper Mountain," Xiao Liulang said calmly.

Feng Lin was taken aback.

Xiao Liulang leaned on his crutch and walked over to Gu Jiao. "Bring a piece of cloth."

Gu Jiao didn't ask too much and went into the house to get a clean piece of cloth.

Xiao Liulang took the cloth from her and squatted down in front of the old woman.

Realizing what he was going to do, Gu Jiao said, "I'll do it."

"No need." Xiao Liulang wrapped the cloth around the old woman's face, covering her mouth and nose. "Take her inside."

"Okay," Gu Jiao nodded.

"Hey! Xiao Xiong!" Feng Lin tried to stop him.

At this point, Gu Xiaoshun had also heard a lot and realized that the old woman was a leper. His sister was afraid of him getting infected, which was why she didn't let him come closer.

But was Gu Xiaoshun the kind of person who didn't keep his word?

Gu Xiaoshun ran over to help his sister and brother-in-law carry the woman into the backyard.

Feng Lin was so anxious that he stomped his feet.

You're all crazy!

Then he gritted his teeth and went inside, risking infection.

Have you guessed the identity of the old woman yet?

Introduction to the plot.