Chapter 45: House Call

Xiao Liulang really didn't want to accompany Gu Jiao to visit the old fox who was the dean, but unfortunately, this proposal was unanimously approved by the family, including his aunt.

Old lady: "Hmm, it is appropriate to pay a visit."

Xiao Liulang, feeling frustrated, went back to his room and hugged his blanket.

Gu Jiao looked at him in surprise, "Are you sleeping on my side tonight?"

Xiao Liulang felt embarrassed and replied, "I... made a mistake."

Gu Jiao raised her eyebrows and crossed her arms, "You've lived in the west room for six months without making a mistake, but now you've only been staying in my room for three days and you've made a mistake."

Xiao Liulang blushed and replied angrily, "I said I made a mistake!"

Gu Jiao responded calmly, "Oh."

Xiao Liulang: "......"

Gu Jiao kept her promise and that evening, she counted the gift money that was meant for the teacher.

The next day, when Gu Xiaoshun came over for breakfast, he was excited to hear that his sister was taking him to visit the dean near the hot spring resort.

"I've never been so far from home before!" he exclaimed.

"The truth is," Gu Jiao thought to herself, "Xiao Liulang wouldn't allow me, a young girl, to go out so far on my own."

Taking a ox-cart was out of the question as it would take too long and they might still be on the road when it gets dark. However, all the car rental services in town were closed and they couldn't hire a horse-drawn carriage.

After much deliberation, Gu Jiao decided to take her brother with her and they both showed up at the Rejuvenation Hall.

Faced with the sudden arrival of Gu Jiao, the second master of the Dong family looked puzzled and asked, "Miss Gu, what brings you here?"

Gu Jiao remained calm and replied, "I've thought about it, and the hot spring villa is not far away. We can get there in an hour by carriage. Let's leave right away! Do you have a carriage?"

Just yesterday, she had adamantly refused to see patients. How did she change her mind overnight?

The second master of the Dong family looked at her suspiciously, holding the bundle she had with her and Gu Xiaoshun, who was also carrying a large bundle outside the door, and asked, "Why did you bring a person and so many things? Are they all for treating patients?"

Gu Jiao smiled and shook her head, "These are New Year's gifts for the dean. I forgot to mention it. My husband's mentor lives near the hot spring villa. After seeing the patients, I can visit him on the way!"

The second master of the Dong family almost spat out his tea. He thought Gu Jiao was visiting the dean, but treating patients was just a side trip. How can she be so nonchalant about hitching a ride? Doesn't her conscience hurt?

In the end, the second master of the Dong family compromised, and they all got on the carriage together with Gu Xiaoshun and the old doctor.

The carriage ran fast, and in less than an hour, they arrived at a mansion near the hot spring villa with a high plaque that read "Li's Mansion."

This should be the dean's residence.

It is said that the dean was originally an official in the capital city. He resigned from his position and left the capital to buy a mansion here for his mother's retirement after she fell seriously ill.