Chapter 18: Blushing

Xiao Liulang left awkwardly.

There was no brown sugar at home, and the market was closed so late. If he wanted some, he could only borrow from someone else's house.

Xiao Liulang never borrowed anything from anyone, especially not brown sugar that women drank during that time of the month.

He stood under the eaves, his cheeks a little hot.

But after taking a few deep breaths, he got up and headed east to the village.

"Auntie Zhang." He knocked on Zhang's door.

Zhang Auntie opened the door and saw that it was him. She smiled and asked, "Oh, Liulang, what brings you here so late?"

"I... came to borrow some brown sugar." Xiao Liulang said calmly.

In the countryside, brown sugar is a rare commodity, and most families do not have any. Zhang Auntie's daughter-in-law had just given birth and was in her confinement month. Xiao Liulang overheard her asking Uncle Luo to bring her some brown sugar from the market.

"Why do you need brown sugar? Is Gu Yatou pregnant?" Zhang Auntie asked.

Xiao Liulang's cheeks were hot again. "No, no!"

"Oh, then it must be for the monthly cycle. Is it your first time?" Zhang Auntie was an experienced woman and could tell what was going on just by looking at him.

Xiao Liulang never thought he would be someone who cared for others' pain.

Zhang Auntie went inside and brought out a bowl of brown sugar for him. She teased, "When a woman has her period, it's a happy event. It means she'll be able to give birth to your child soon!"

Xiao Liulang didn't know how he managed to leave.

He brought the cooked brown sugar water to Gu Jiao's room. Xue Ningxiang had already left, and Gu Jiao was lying on the bed, feeling a little weak.

He walked into the room without looking around and put the brown sugar water on the table. "Drink this first, and if it's not enough, call me."

With that, he turned and left.

Although he left quickly, Gu Jiao still keenly noticed that his ears had turned red.

Gu Jiao chuckled lightly and drank all the brown sugar water in her bowl.

She didn't expect that the brown sugar water really worked. Her body felt warm, and she felt much more comfortable. She soon fell asleep.

That night, she dreamed again.

She dreamed that she woke up late the next day, and Xiao Liulang went out alone and met Gu Xiaoshun at the village entrance.

The two of them went to the academy together and were in the same class.

Gu Xiaoshun was a lazy person who slept through the entire first morning class, leaving a very bad impression on others. When they were assigned to their dormitory, no one wanted to room with him, except for Xiao Liulang.

They were assigned to the most dilapidated dormitory at the far west end, and as soon as they entered the room, the roof collapsed. Xiao Liulang was severely injured by the debris, while Gu Xiaoshun was only slightly injured.

The next day, Gu Jiao did wake up late.

Because of her previous dream experience, Gu Jiao was more calm this time.

Xiao Liulang was not there, so he must have gone to school.

Uncle Luo's cart went to the town, so she walked there and arrived at the academy at noon.