Chapter 29: Scheming People

The next day, after waking up, Gu Jiao sat at the edge of her bed lost in thought for a while.

This time, she wasn't dazed by her own dream, but by her husband's bad luck.

What kind of retrograde was he experiencing? Was he so unlucky?

And he had even destroyed that beautiful picture of the prosperous era. This was unacceptable, absolutely unacceptable!

...

Gu Jiao had breakfast with Xiao Liulang, and it was still dark outside. The old lady was still sleeping soundly in her room, and Gu Jiao quietly escorted Xiao Liulang out of the door.

"It will snow today, so wear more clothes," Gu Jiao handed him a coat.

Xiao Liulang looked at the starry night sky and didn't feel like it was going to snow, but still took the coat from her. "Thank you."

Gu Jiao accompanied him to the village entrance as usual.

After Xiao Liulang got on the cart, Gu Jiao waited with him until Gu Xiaoshuang stumbled over with his school bag before turning around to leave.

Gu Jiao knew that Xiao Liulang would go to the study in the afternoon and that he would be falsely accused, but she didn't warn him not to go.

She remembered the details of the case that Xiao Liulang solved, so she knew where the thief went with the stolen goods.

...

"I've warmed up the food in the pot. If you're hungry, eat it yourself. Also, take the medicine and don't skip a meal. If you faint, I'll know," Gu Jiao said to the old lady in the hall.

Since the old lady wasn't truly senile, there was no need to keep watch over her. After all, she wasn't contagious anymore, and there was no need to worry about her harming anyone. As for someone harming her? That didn't exist.

The old lady snorted.

Gu Jiao carried her basket and passed by the Gu family's mansion just as Gu Yue'e came out to pour water over her face.

"Good morning, younger sister Yue'e," she greeted her.

Gu Yue'e, influenced by her mother and stepmother, was not close to Gu Jiao. She didn't say much when Gu Jiao greeted her and just walked into the house with her head down.

"Who was talking?" Zhou Shi inside the house asked.

"Sister Jiao," Gu Yue'e replied in a low voice.

Zhou Shi opened the door with a "swoosh".

"Good morning, aunt," Gu Jiao greeted her too.

"Uh...good morning," Zhou Shi, who considered herself a scholar's wife and was more polite than Liu Shi, looked at Gu Jiao carrying her basket and said with an embarrassed smile, "Jiao Jie, where are you going so early?"

"I'm going to pick some mountain goods and then sell them in town," Gu Jiao replied with a smile.

Zhou Shi's eyes flickered and she laughed, "Do you make money selling mountain goods? I heard they are poisonous..."

"I know which ones are safe. My husband taught me," Gu Jiao said. If she said she knew them herself, no one would believe her.

A few days ago, Zhou Shi and her two companions had caused a big scene when they came to the house. At that time, she could see the things in Gu Jiao's basket, such as melon seeds, candied fruits, red sugar, and peanuts. They must have been worth a lot of money. This girl was probably making quite a bit of money selling mountain goods.

Zhou Shi's eyes flashed, and she smiled, "Jiao Jie, can you take aunt with you? You can't pick so much by yourself, can you? Aunt will help you pick them!"

"Okay," Gu Jiao agreed generously.

Zhou chuckled to herself, thinking that fools are easily fooled. Once Gu Jiao realized that the mountain goods were worth something, there would be no share left for Zhou to take.

Zhou didn't intend to invite Liu to this profitable venture, but Liu overheard and came out with a basket on her arm, saying, "Second Auntie is going too!"

"Okay," Gu Jiao smiled.

Gu Jiao went with her two aunts to pick mushrooms on the mountain.

In fact, she could have picked some wood ear mushrooms and poisonous mushrooms to sell and deceive her aunts. But that would have harmed innocent people, and Gu Jiao wasn't that unscrupulous.

She led them to pick some ordinary winter mushrooms and filled everyone's baskets and baskets before leaving satisfied.

"Can we really sell these for money?" Zhou asked skeptically.

"Let's go with my uncle's wife, they sell very well," Gu Jiao said.

Zhou wanted to go alone so that she could determine how much to sell and not have to hand over everything to the family. But Liu had the same idea, so they both followed Gu Jiao.

"Little Jiao, this isn't the way to the market," Liu asked Gu Jiao suspiciously.

"At this hour, the market is almost closed. We're going to the market in Zhendong where the prices are higher," Gu Jiao explained.

As soon as they heard they could sell for more money, the two women stopped questioning.

As they passed by an alley, Gu Jiao suddenly said, "I need to use the bathroom. You two wait here."

"Go ahead," Zhou said.

Liu grumbled, "Lazy people use the bathroom a lot!"

Gu Jiao walked through the alley and went into the back door of Huichun Hall. Fifteen minutes later, she returned.

"Why did you take so long?" Liu complained.

Gu Jiao smiled faintly, "I got a stomachache from eating something bad."

"Alright, Jiao, where is the market? Let's hurry up and sell the mountain goods before they go bad!" Zhou said.

"Mmm," Gu Jiaohansmiled and nodded.

Gu Jiao led the two forward. Suddenly, a figure rushed out of a side alley, and Gu Jiao didn't dodge, colliding with the person.

The man fell to the ground.

Gu Jiao quickly took out a sickle and said, "How dare you bump into me?"

The man was confused, "Girl, who bumped into who?"

Ignoring him, Gu Jiao rushed towards the man with her sickle, and the two quickly began to struggle. The man's bag was knocked down by Gu Jiao, but before he could pick it up, she chased him hundreds of meters away with the sickle.

Zhou Shi and Liu Shi couldn't resist their itch and opened the bag that had fallen on the ground, only to find a lot of silver inside. They immediately became greedy.

The silver wasn't stolen or robbed, they had just found it on the street.

If they found it, it was theirs!

Without saying a word, the two decided to take the silver and run away, not leaving a single piece for the foolish little boy!

The two scrambled to grab as much silver as possible, even getting into a fight over who could get more.--

On the other side of the academy, Xiao Liulang finished his meal and took the copied books to the Yipin Pavilion.

There were many bookstores in Qingquan Town, but this was the largest, and business was still booming even at noon.

Xiao Liulang's copied books were the best sellers, and the people at the bookstore all recognized him.

A servant greeted him politely, "The shopkeeper is not here. Would you please wait in the accounting room on the second floor?"

As Xiao Liulang was about to enter, a clerk called out to him from behind, "Are you Master Xiao?"

Xiao Liulang turned around.