Chapter 1: Mrs. Burkes!

I don't own any characters, except for Sabrina & Xavier. I don't own any photos, songs or videos. Hope you enjoy!

~1942~

Two years went by. The war was eventually over. Xavier and I were now sixteen years old. Susan was fourteen, Peter was fifteen, Edmund was thirteen and Lucy was twelve.

After going back to London, Mrs. Burkes adopted Xavier and me. I told her that he was my long lost brother that I found on the train.

I was now Sabrina Burkes and Xavier was now Xavier Burkes. Xavier got along with Mrs. Burkes. I also helped him to adjust to his new life in London which he quickly adapted to.

We were then enrolled in a bordering school, the same one as the Pevensies. Once we came back from Narnia, Susan was always surrounded by boys and suitors. Those who knew I was friends with Susan used me to get to her.

I grew jealous, but I kept it inside. Xavier would usually help Susan by saying that he was her boyfriend when in reality he wasn't. She would always thank him. It was a favour Xavier would do.

I had no boyfriends, no boy that I was interested looked my way. I felt horrible, but I tried to ignore and hide the pain. I still wrote to the Pevensies, but not as often as I use to.

Mrs. Burkes saw that I was speaking less and I was more distant, so she enrolled me into music classes.

I began to play the violin which I began to love. Xavier and I were also both enrolled in fencing classes. She loved to keep us active and busy. Xavier was also playing football for school and for a club.

The point is that thanks to Mrs. Burkes I was back to my normal self or at least I was until a tragic incident occurred.

One afternoon on a warm late August day, after Xavier's and my fencing class, we went home.

There we found Mrs. Burkes sitting on a chair. She was knitting away making sweaters for us like she usually did.

"We're back grandmother!" I called out as we came in.

Xavier closed the door behind us. She smiled upon seeing us. She insisted on calling us grandmother.

She never had any grandchildren, because her only son, Charles was killed in the war and her husband was also killed as well, but in World War I.

"Ah, how was it?" She asked us.

"It was great!" I exclaimed."Except Xavier kept showing off."

Xavier rolled his eyes."Was not. I was merely showing them what I was capable of doing."

I laughed."In other words, showing off."

Mrs. Burkes just smiled at us. All of the sudden, she placed her hand on her heart and cried out in pain.

"Grandmother?" Xavier asked.

"Are you alright?" I asked.

She wasn't responding at all and I grew worried. I turned to Xavier.

"Call the ambulance!" I cried.

Xavier immediately called them and they sooner arrived where we left with them.

We waited outside of her room sitting on the chairs. Tears were in my eyes as we waited to hear news.

I rested my head on Xavier's shoulder and he held me tightly as we waited.

"Please tell me she'll make it." I said.

"She has to." Xavier replied."She is strong. She'll make it, you'll see."

After several hours, a doctor approached us.

"Miss Burkes and Mr. Burkes?" The doctor asked us.

"Yes? How is our grandmother?" Xavier asked reluctantly.

"She is suffering from a heart disease, and unfortunately she's slipped into a coma." The doctor informed us.

No! Tears were already falling down my cheeks.

"Feel free to enter her room and I'm terribly sorry." The doctor replied.

We then entered her room. I sat down in a chair next to her while Xavier sat down on the other side.

"Don't worry grandmother, we're by your side." I assured her even though she couldn't hear me.

"Please don't leave us on our own." Xavier begged.

We spent the rest of the night in her room where we watched over her. I refuse to leave until knowing that she is okay and she'll wake up. We had to know.