Fifteen

When Finnick woke up, for a split second everything felt okay, until the last few events came crashing back in. Once he realized he was finally free from the mission, a sob ripped through his throat, and he sat back up in his bed, tears streaming down his face. He didn't even notice Annie waking up beside his hospital bed as she worriedly stood up from her chair to take her husband into her arms. He immediately buried his head into Annie's sweater, she stroke his head gently, trying to calm him down.

"She's dead." Finnick cried out and it broke Annie's heart to see him this way again after Mags. "I can't believe Sidney is dead. Annie, I can't."

"Shh." She whispered soothingly in his ear, holding him closer to her before the two were interrupted by the sound of the door opening.

"I'm sorry to interrupt." It's Mrs. Everdeen who stepped in the room with an solemn expression on her face that reminded Finnick he isn't the only one who lost a loved one. He carefully pulled away from Annie who moved to the side so that the woman can take place on the bed.

"I just have to cover your burns in this." Mrs. Everdeen held up a small container with an odorless ointment for him to see and Finnick nodded silently and turned to face the woman better as she carefully unwrapped the bandage around his arm before applying the ointment.

"I'm sorry about Prim." Finnick whispered softly and the woman halted her movements for a second.

"I'm sorry about Sidney."

"Thank you."

Once again the door to them room opened up with a creak, and this time it was Gale who stepped inside quietly. He waited by the door, exchanging a look with Finnick as Mrs. Everdeen wrapped his arm up again before leaving the room with a soft goodbye.

"Coin wants to see you two." Gale announced.

"Do you know what for?" Annie asked as she stood up to help Finnick leave the bed.

"Just that she has gathered the remaining victors." Gale elaborated as the two victors slowly walked forward and followed after Gale, who led them through the Presidential Mansion and down a luxurious hallway until they came upon a large room with a round table in the middle of it.

Most seats were already filled and when Finnick spotted Johanna sitting at the table he was ready to burst into tears again as his friend jumped up to embrace him. "I'm so, so sorry about Sid." The woman whispered. Finnick's grip tightened around his friend but she didn't say anything more.

They pulled away after a moment and Finnick and Annie sat in the two empty seats between Enobaria and Beetee. It remained eerily quiet in the expansive room until Katniss herself entered, the same look of confusion written on her face as she observed the people in the rooml.

"What is this?" Katniss questioned, quietly looking at Coin.

"The remaining Victors." Coin stated almost monotone, gesturing for the girl to take the last seat at the table. "Won't you join us."

"I have invited you all here for several reasons," Coin addressed the group courtly. "But first I have an announcement. I have taken taken the burden and the honor of declaring myself interim President of Panem."

"Interim." Haymitch scoffed loudly. "Exactly how long is that interim?"

Finnick's brow furrowed as he watched the exchange carefully, nervously locking his hands together.

"We have no way of knowing for certain," Coin answered calmly. "But it's clear that the people are far too emotional right now to make a rational decision. We'll plan an election when the time is right."