Three

Katniss Everdeen had gone to District Two in hopes of rallying troops and getting all of the the Districts on the rebel's side. Sidney warned it was a bad idea, but Katniss still went. And she returned with a bullet wound on her body.

Sidney's face was set in stone. She was angry she had been called into their office like a child called to the principal's once again. Besides, she'd much rather be by Katniss' side at the moment.

"I thought I had made it clear the last time that I had little to no interest in your meetings," Sidney spoke as she took a seat next to Finnick and across from Coin.

Coin hid her admiration as she took in a breath. "We are here to talk to you about something that could effect the future of Panem."

"Can we just get through this quickly? I have places I'd rather be," Sidney spoke. Coin nodded, clasping her hands on the table in front of her.

"When Ms. Everdeen became the Mockingjay, we were forced to take some safety precautions," Coin spoke. "And that means, we needed an understudy of sorts. Someone who will step into the role of the Mockingjay if needed."

Sidney looked around. "You're saying that you want to make sure someone can replace Katniss if she is killed?" Plutarch nodded.

"I thought you'd use the symbol," Finnick spoke. "You could still use Katniss' face even if she was gone."

Finnick had quickly figured out what this conversation was headed towards. They would ask Sidney to take that role. He knew she could do it, but he also knew she didn't want to. And if Finnick was honest with himself, he didn't want her too either. Not only would Sidney taking Katniss' place put a huge target on her back, but Sideny tended to act before she could think, and despite that making her rebellious, it wasn't good for the Mockingjay.

"Yes, but we believe that may backfire," Coin spoke. "The districts may loose hope if their symbol is dead. They need someone to look to. Someone in control. Someone at the front of the army, leading the soldiers into battle."

"And so who did you have in mind?" Gale spoke from the other end of the table.

Plutarch breathes out. "Sidney."

Sidney's eyes widened as her eyebrows raised. She had assumed that this was the topic of discussion, but to hear it out loud was different.

"Why?" Sidney spoke.

"The districts trust you," Coin spoke. "And Katniss recommended you."

"Recommend me?" Now Sidney was truly surprised.

Coin nodded. "When she agreed to become the Mockingjay. Katniss said that if she were to be killed, she wanted you to take her place. It seems she trusts you the most, Sidney."

"Why are you telling me this?" Sidney asked. "Katniss isn't dead."

"Yes, but things aren't looking great at the moment," Plutarch spoke honestly. "The Districts are scrambling in fear. They're not sure what will happen next and they're afraid that if Katniss dies, so will the rebellion."

"But she's not dead," Sidney spoke, shaking her head.

"Of course and we're not about to stick you in the Mockingjay suit, but all we ask is that you make a statement," Plutarch spoke. "Speak our to the districts. Tell them that you will be there if Katniss falls."

Sidney stopped to think for a moment, looking down at her hands. She then faced all the people in the room once again. "I will make a statement telling the districts what will happen if Katniss dies, but my statement will be based on events that are circumstantial. I am not taking her position."

"Of course not," Coin smiled.

"I want to make one thing very clear." Sidney spoke before looking Coin straight in the eye. "I am doing this for Katniss, not for you. My mind may be in pieces, but I will not be manipulated."

"I don't want to do this," Sidney whined to Finnick. They watched Coin as she walked to the microphone, staring out at the crowd of District Thirteen. Every single person in the District was there, except for Katniss who was watching the speech from the hospital wing.

"You'll do great," Finnick smiled at her. "If you get nervous, just look over at me. I'll be here the whole time." Sidney looked at him.

It had been a week since Sidney had her meeting with the leaders of District Thirteen and the leaders of the rebellion. Katniss had gotten better since then and awoken, but she was still in bad shape. Coin insisted that Sidney still make the speech so that the Districts would know who to turn to if a scare like that was to happen again.

Coin announced Sidney's name, meaning it was time for her to go on stage. She forced herself to let go of Finnick, looking back at him as she walked up to the microphone. He mouthed a 'Good luck' to her, which she returned by giving a thumbs up back to him before walking under the eye of District Thirteen.

The crowd cheered for Sidney as she took her place on the balcony above them. She didn't smile as Sidney didn't want to fake her gratitude. She looked over at Finnick who nodded and smiled at her.

Sidney took in a deep breath before starting. "Good evening, districts. My name is Sidney Gage, survivor of the 68th and 75th Hunger Games. I speak to you now in a time of fear and uncertainty. I hope that my speech will bring you peace of mind, even if it is just a little." She looked out at the crowd. "As you all know, Katniss Everdeen was shot only a week ago in District Two," she continued. "We hold no ill will or grudges to District Two and urge every district to have the same attitude."

Sidney looked over at Coin, seeing the anger written across the woman's face. While Sidney had promised to memorize a prewritten speech, she never promised to recite it word for word.

"Because of these events, the rebel leaders have been forced to take certain safety precautions. One of these precautions is making sure that the Mockingjay symbol will have a face, even if Katniss Everdeen is killed." Mourners swept the crowd as they were unsure what Sidney was talking about. "Which she isn't!" She quickly added. She then took another deep breath and glanced at Finnick once again before breaking the news. "At Katniss Everdeen's request, should she be killed in battle, I am to take her place as the Mockingjay." She quickly finished.

The crowd exploded with talking. Everyone in the room began to yell to Sidney, asking her questions or requesting that Coin come back out and explain. She could see the camera close in on her face, meaning the district's could see her emotions very clearly.

Sidney's lips parted and her chest began to rise and fall faster than what was healthy. Her heart beat picked up and her stomach fell to her feet. Tears pricked at her eyes and the crowd of shouting people seemed to get louder. A panic attack was setting in.

Sidney flinched as an arm wrapped around her shoulders, pulling her close to their body. She looked to see Finnick at her side, using one hand to hold her to him and the other to grasp her own hand. She clung to him for dear life, unable to stop the emotions that threatened to make her pass out.

Finnick leaned forward to talk into the microphone, speaking over the yelling voices. He began to talk, but Sidney couldn't hear him. All she could do was stare at the ground and blink the tears away.