Eleven

Combat boots met the hard concrete with loud thuds that echoed throughout the dark hall, a horrendous smell flooding her senses that made Sidney grimace. Her lips pulled in a thin line as her gaze flickered toward Pollux, who looked absolutely dreadful as he led the group. The Avox clearly had some pretty bad memories tied to the place that were currently resurfacing.

"He worked sanitation down here, right after he became an Avox." Castor elaborated after a beat of silence, gaining everyone's attention. A frown pulled on Sidney's face as the man continued to trek toward his brother.

Pollux was shaking on his feet, pulling nervously at the collar of his dark jacket, a nervous breath escaping past his parted lips as he tried to breath in more air and the little bit of color that was left on his face before was now completely non-existent.

"Hey, hey." Castor placed a hand on his brother's shoulder, Sidney watched the man visibly relax under his touch, his soft sniffles quieting down. "You gonna be okay?" He asked, leaning down slightly to look his brother in the eye. "Look at me, look at me. We're gonna get through this. I promise."

Pollux nodded, taking one last look at his brother before motioning the others to start following him. Sidney was the first to start moving, pushing herself away from the wall she and Finnick were leaning against and walked past Castor and Katniss, who were still quietly talking and stopped a couple steps ahead of them, observing Pollux with sympathy.

"Took us five years to buy his way outta here. He didn't see the sun once."

Sidney's jaw dropped from shock. She knew Avoxes worked down there, but not that they never got to come up for fresh air. Even after all this time, the Capitol still amazed her in the worst ways possible.

Sidney couldn't see Katniss' face, but she knew the girl was faltering at the words, probably going over it in her head once again before finally grasping the concept of what Castor was saying.

"Why sickles?" Jackson suddenly asked her.

"I don't know." Sidney shrugged while she thought. "They're cool. I like knives, I like hooks. It's like both merged, but better."

"What other weapons are you good with?"

"I love spears," Sidney smirked. "So underrated. You can swipe, throw, stab, everything. They don't even have to be used to kill, you can just use the other end." She widely grinned. "And if you want to be extra crazy you can sharpen both ends."

"Where'd you get the idea to poison your weapons?" Homes asked.

"I was taking a really good shower," Sidney answered, she heard a few quiet laughs. "Honest! That's where I get all my good thoughts and ideas. Like, if you go deaf or can't hear anything and someone has to wave their hand in front of you to get your attention, then . . ." she gestured with a wide grin to Finnick like she was waiting for him to finish.

Finnick appeared very confused. "What?"

"Come on, you know." She protested.

"No, I don't, you're the only person who thinks about stuff like this."

"Okay, well, you go from being voice-activated to motion-activated." Sidney explained, rolling her eyes. "I thought that was interesting but turns out some of us aren't as smart as others, I just didn't know that." It was clear she was just calling Finnick stupid.

Katniss suddenly darted forward when a loud whirring echoed around the barely lit hallway. The whole group immediately follwed suit and pressed themselves against a bright red wall to avoid being seen just in time before a train sped past them.

Sidney craned her neck around the wall to have a look, the worrying feeling in her gut only growing larger.

"We're too exposed out here." Katniss pointed out. Pollux looked up at her before holding his hand up as he glanced around quickly, signaling for the squad to follow him to a metal door.

They quickly ran across the hallway toward it as the man opened the door where they were faced with another ladder to descend to go even further underground.

Sidney and Finnick were the last two to go down, he saw his friend frown. "I got a bad feeling about this." She admitted and Finnick looks back at her, ocean blue meeting hazel.

"It's gonna be fine." He promised, holding out his hand for her to take.

Sidney bit the inside of her cheek, before taking his hand and descending down into the horrendous smelling sewer with Finnick following close behind.

Everyone followed after Katniss and Pollux as they led the group. Katniss held the holo up to scan the room for any hidden pods. "It looks clear."