Four

It had been months since the victors were saved and Sidney did the most overtly feminine thing possible when Finnick told her about him wanting to propose to Annie, aka jumping around while squealing and clapping.

Annie awoke and quickly got up, getting ready for the day by putting on the grey clothing of District Thirteen and making herself look presentable. She left the room to be bombarded by random citizens of District Thirteen, smiling at her and yelling a congratulations as they passed.

Annie smiled back, confused as to why they were congratulating her. Annie's only guess was because of the engagement, but she had no idea how it had gotten out so quickly. "Annie!" A recognizable voice excitedly called, Annie was reassured to be met with Sidney smiling and walking over.

"Sidney," Annie hugged her friend, lying her chin onto her shoulder.

Once the two separated, Sidney threw her hand over Annie's shoulder to walk with her. "I knew it was gonna happen soon," Sidney gushed with a joyful sigh. "Oh, I am so excited for you two!"

The two decided to go visit Katniss in the hospital wing and ensure her recovery so she could take the Mockingjay position once again. Annie and Sidney walked into the room reserved specifically for Katniss. One of the many perks as the Mockingjay is that she got her own recovery room.

They walked in to see Johanna sitting on the bed which Katniss was laying on. Sidney's eyes trailed the tube sticking out of Johanna's arm up to a machine next to Katniss' bed. Sidney instantly realized that Johanna was stealing morphling.

"Well there she is!" Johanna spoke to Annie with slight mockery, but there was true happiness hidden in her voice. "Future Mrs. Odair! The bride to be."

Sidney shut the door behind her and Annie, walking up to the group. She stood while Annie walked around the bed to the other side of Katniss, sitting down. "How did you know?"

Johanna laughed. "Finnick has just about told the entire district."

"I'm very happy for you both," Katniss croaked to Annie's surprise. Annie smiled at her, placing her hand on Katniss's.

"It'll be amazing!" Sidney spoke as Johanna stood up. "Oh Annie, Finnick was so excited about proposing, you don't even know!" That caused Annie to smile as wide

Annie's eye was caught on the pearl that sat on Katniss's bedside stand. Annie picked it up, admiring the pearl in her fingertips.

"I remember watching when Peeta gave you this," Annie smiled before she put it back down. "He didn't even look at the pearl. Just at you."

"They showed him the video from District Two," Katniss spoke in a raspy voice. "Haymitch wants me to talk to him. I don't want to go alone."

Sidney took Katniss saying she didn't want to go see Peeta alone as "Sidney, please come with me to go see Peeta."

At the sound of the buzzer, Sidney pushed the door to the hospital room open. Peeta's head lifted at the sound, his eyes meeting Sidney's. He gave her a small smile as she seemed to be the only one he trusted in District Thirteen.

Peeta's smile fell when Katniss walked into the room. Katniss kept her eyes down, only glancing up at Peeta periodically.

It was very clear to Sidney that Katniss did not want to be in there. Sidney understood and wished her friend hadn't been forced into it.

"How are you feeling, Peeta?" Sidney asked him, sitting in the edge of his bed. Peeta watched Sidney as she sat comfortably near him. Sidney could tell that the simple action meant a lot to Peeta. No one except his doctors got that close to him for fear they'd be attacked.

"I've been better," Peeta spoke. Sidney nodded, looking over at Katniss and waving her over. Katniss kept her feet planted multiple feet away from the bed. Her eyes showed nothing but fear and they never left Peeta.

"I watched you die," Peeta spoke, slightly confused. Sidney wished the doctors hadn't shown him the footage from District Two. It was only more weight to his already fragile mind. "You look terrible."

"You've looked better," Katniss spoke with her sharp tongue.

Peeta scoffed. "You're not even remotely nice to say that to me now."

"I was never the nice one," Katniss spoke with a tight throat. She looked like she was on the verge of tears. "You were."

"When I saw you die, I remembered something," Peeta spoke, glancing down at the floor. He looked to Sidney, as if asking her permission to continue. Sidney nodded. "About the bread. I remembered you in the rain. And I burned it on purpose. To give to you. I remember my mom hitting me because I was supposed to give the bread to the pig."

Sidney knew this story. After Sidney was rescued from the Capitol, she would often get visits from Katniss and vice-versa. After Katniss got shot, Sidney told her that Peeta was doing better when visiting. That was when Katniss told Sidney the story.

"That was the first we'd eaten in days," Katniss spoke.

"Why would I take a beating like that for you?" Peeta asked her.

Tears now welled up in Katniss's eyes. "Because you were kind and generous. And people said you loved me."

"Did people say you loved me?" He asked.

Katniss nodded, slightly. "That's why Snow tortured you. To hurt me."

"Snow says that everything that comes out of your mouth is a lie," Peeta spat. "All I know is that I would've saved myself a lot of trouble if I had given that bread to the pig."

Katniss looked at Peeta for another second before turning and leaving the room quickly. Sidney stood up, trying to stop her before she left, but it was too late.

Sidney turned back around to look at Peeta. She sighed, sitting back down on the medical bed, this time closer to Peeta.

"What do you remember about me?" Sidney asked him.

He looked at her for a moment, thinking. "I saw you in the arena. We were near each other when the Capitol picked us up. I remember seeing your operation. The Capitol saved your life."

Sidney shook her head. "I didn't get an operation from the Capitol, never have."

"You did," Peeta nodded. "I heard your screams. They couldn't sedate you because your life was on the line and there wasn't enough time."

Sidney bit her lip. "The screaming was from the torture. We were tortured in the same room together, Pete." Sidney explained. Peeta stared at her for another moment. He wasn't sure if it was her calming voice or the trustworthiness in her eyes, but Peeta believed Sidney. Or, at least, he wanted to believe her. "You trust me, right?" Sidney asked.

Peeta nodded. "You're the only one."

Sidney let out a breath, wondering if what she was going to say next was a good idea. "Finnick and Annie's wedding is tomorrow, Peeta," Sidney spoke. His eyebrows lifted. "I know you don't trust him or Katniss, but I'd really like you to be there."

A small smile broke out on Peeta's face. Peeta knew that these were confusing times and he couldn't trust anyone, but for some reason, he trusted her. Peeta has considered Sidney as his only ally. But now, he considered her as his only friend.

Peeta began to nod. "Would they really let me out?"

"I still have to discuss that with them," Sidney spoke. "It won't be pretty. You may have to wear handcuffs, you'll get dirty looks, and there will be guards with you at all times, but I want you to celebrate with me."

"If you can make it happen . . ." Peeta smiled. A real smile. "I'll be there."

[A/N: If you couldn't tell . . . I LOVE ODESTA! I LOVE IT SO MUCH! WEDDING CHAPTER, LET'S FUCKIN GO!]

𝙏𝙄𝙇𝙇 𝙏𝙃𝙀 𝙀𝙉𝘿 - 𝑯𝒖𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒓 𝑮𝒂𝒎𝒆𝒔On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara