Six

It was mostly silent inside the hovercraft, only the low machine hum filling the room as they sat side by side, heading towards a more secluded part of the base at the frontlines.

"We're here." Boggs voice was firm and to the point as he brisked passed the two, leading the way towards the opening ramp.

Pushing herself back up, Sidney took in a deep breath before following after the dark skinned man. The fresh cold air pushed passed her skin, instantly making her shiver for a second before she managed to shake it off. Her eyes looked around the base. People were mingling about around the tents and other stations that had been put up.

A massive crowd had formed around a stage where Paylor proudly stood, a certain kind of determination was glowing from her that told them she was ready to fight.

"I'm Commander Paylor of District Eight." Paylor confidently spoke. "I'm a soldier, like all of you, so here's what I know. For the first time in our lifetimes, we're standing together with thirteen districts. From what I see here, we've already made history." Cheers filled the air around them but Paylor was quick to silence the crowd.

"But history doesn't stop to celebrate. And we're facing an enemy that will not change and will never surrender. President Snow has pulled back peacekeepers to fortify the center of the city. He's evacuating residents from the outer blocks. These civilians will be confused and desperate. You are under orders not to target them. We're deploying medical brigades to help anyone in need. We'll show the Capitol people who we are.

"To slow our advance, President Snow is building a minefield of traps and lethal devices called 'pods.' The sadistic inventions of Gamemakers meant to make sport of our deaths." She pointed at the screen behind her where information popped up.

Sidney gritted her teeth - another Hunger Games is exactly what they needed.

"If our armies make it past Peacekeepers and other defenses, we'll converge in the center of the city at Snow's mansion, where we won't just unlock his gates, but unshackle all of panem." Loud cheers followed before she contiued. "If we die, let it be for a cause and not a spectacle. If we succeed, let it be for all of Panem, and let it be forever.

"Yes, you've already made history. But the future, our future, starts tomorrow at dawn, when we march together into the Capitol." Paylor gave the crowd a fierce grin, one that filled the people with hope and empowerment.

"Time to go." Boggs announced, whisking the former tribute away and toward an area filled with tents.

"Hawthorne, Everdeen, meet your new unit." Boggs stopped at a small group of people who had gathered. Katniss and Gale appeared from one of the tents.

A tall brunette woman stood at the front, having gained the full attention of Gale and Katniss and she nodded to the group. "I'm Lieutenant Jackson and I want to introduce you to your squad." She pointed at a soldier to her right. "This is second Lieutenant Mitchell, best sharpshooter in Panem."

"These are the Leeg sisters, first combat division. And this is Corporal Homes." She introduced next just as someone came into Katniss' sight.

Katniss turned toward them and walked forward. "Finnick?"

Sidney's eyes shot open. "It better not be." Much to her dismay, she did in fact see Finnick walking over. Sidney's jaw dropped in both anger, shock, and annoyance.

"Are you with us?" Katniss asked.

"Looks like it." Finnick nodded, twirling the trident Beetee made for him around carefully.

"That was a short honeymoon." Katniss grinned before pulling the two in a tight embrace.

"Yeah, well, I guess we're gonna have to have one in the Capitol." Finnick shrugged.

"After we take it."

Sidney marched over looking livid. "Finnick!" She harshly punched him in the shoulder. "What are you doing here?" She seethed.

Finnick swallowed back before explaining. "Johanna told me what you're planning. You don't have to do it alone. We've got your back alright."

Sidney pressed her lips together, ready to let her anger out onto Finnick before Boggs' voice boomed.

"Gather 'round." Boggs called out loudly. Sidney gave Finnick an angry point with her finger and then walked off to join Boggs, Finnick and Katniss joining. "Squad 451, you are my unite. Lieutenant Jackson is my second-in-command. Each one of you is elite in some form of combat. But we are a non-lethal combat unit. So we'll be following days behind the front-line troops."

"So other people are fighting the war we started?" Sidney couldn't help but speak up in surprise.

"We are the face of this rebellion Ms. Gage, be smart to remember that." Boggs countered before Cressida continued.

"You're to be the onscreen faces of the invasion. 'The Star Squad.' It's been decided that you're most effective when seen by the masses."

It seemed these plans didn't sit well with Gale. "So we're not gonna fight?"

"You'll do whatever you're ordered to do, soldier. It's not your job to ask questions." Boggs ordered, and with no room left to argue, Gale nodded in defeat.

"Our instructions are to shoot propaganda footage on the battle-scarred streets of the Capitol. You were handpicked to intimidate their forces."

"-And inspire surrenders"

"Even though we'll be working on abandoned streets miles behind the front lines, I guarantee you, wherever they put us, it will not be safe. This is a war zone. It is likely that we'll encounter both active pods and peacekeepers. You're considered high-value targets to the Capitol. In the event of capture, you'll be given a nightlock pill." He held up a black box to show the group. "A poison that acts immediately. Lieutenant Jackson, do the honors." He handed it over to her.

Lieutenant Jackson smiled weakly before she turned to give each member a small, round, metallic-looking pill.

"I've already briefed you on the pods. I remind you, they are on every block. Our unit has been given a holo." He held the object above his head to show everyone before placing it on a crate in the middle of the group to show how it worked. "A database that contains a detailed map of the Capitol and a list of every known pod. These pods can trigger anything from bombs to traps to mutts."

Sidney's mouth fell slightly agape, her eyes flashed back to the large ape-like creatures they encountered in their last games and the wolves from her first. The way they growled, their abnormally large and sharp teeth, the woman who sacrificed herself for Peeta.

"We cannot move without this device. There's no guarantee that our database is complete. There could be new pods that we're not aware of. Because we don't want the Gamemakers to know we have this intel, it has a self-destruct on it. You flip this switch, say 'nightlock' three times, and it blows itself and anything within a ten-foot radius. Stay within our unit. Even with the holo, it is likely that new pods have been set. Whatever they contain, they are meant to kill you." Boggs finnished gravely.

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the 76th Hunger Games." Finnick stated solemnly, glancing at the two girls beside him.

"May the odds finally be in our favor."