Eight

The sun had long ago disappeared behind the tall buildings that remained standing in the Capitol, and the darkness that loomed over them didn't make anyone feel safe in what way whatsoever. Katniss had volunteered to watch over Peeta, but in some way, Sidney felt anxious as she rested her head against the wall besides an already sleeping Finnick. But as she tuned in on the hushed voices of the former District Twelve residence's, she couldn't idly sit by as the conversation went on and both pushed herself up to look at the blonde boy.

"I'm sorry." Peeta breathed out, eyes casted to the ground solemly, "I just can't tell what's real and what's made up anymore."

Sidney's hard expression softened, thoughts of Annie coming to mind as she leaned forward a bit to look better at Peeta. "Then ask." She suggested, having both her knees slightly tucked up while resting her arms on both. "It's what Annie does."

"Ask who?"

"Us, we're your unit now." Jackson joined the conversation, eyes focused on the boy, sincerity swirling in them.

Peeta didn't not reply, instead focuses his attention to his clasped hands, only soft sounds of crickets and the evening breeze filling the room, before he finally decided to speak up again. "Your favorite color is green . . . is that real?" It was such a simple question, innocent even. The simplest things were nothing but a vague memory to Peeta, memories and lies he couldn't even tell apart anymore.

Katniss took a moment. "Yes it is. Yours is orange." She paused for a moment, trying to gather her swirling thoughts. "Not bright orange. Soft, like the sunset. "

"Oh . . . thank you." Peeta nodded curtly before looking away from her.

"You're a painter, you're a baker." Katniss suddenly continued, gaining everyone's attention once more. "You always sleep with the windows open, you never take sugar in your tea. You always-" Her voice cracks as tears gather in her eyes as the last words leave her lips in a breathless whisper. "Always double-knot your shoelaces." She told Peeta.

"You were right." Katniss suddenly admitted, the declaration hung in the air. Sidney cocked a brow as Katniss stood up hurriedly to sit somewhere else. "I can't do this."

Sidney stammered a bit. "But- what? We were just having a moment!"

Her sudden and accidental raise in voice caused Finnick's eyes to blink open. "What happened?' He whispered.

"Go back to bed, Finnick." She groaned.

With dawn having arrived, the unit was up an moving when the sun came peaking through the grey curtains of clouds.

"Listen up!" Boggs called out to gain everyone's attention as he held a gun up for everyone to see. "Mag's empty. It's only for the propo." He instructed, before handing the unloaded gun to Peeta, who reluctantly took it from the man.

"Let's move, we're headed five blocks north." He stated, before leading the way out of the building with swift long strides.

"It's gonna be okay." Sidney whispered when she noticed Katniss' shocked face as her gaze was transfixed on Peeta. "He can't hurt anyone alright."

"Alright." Katniss nodded, but her voice still sounded unsure as the two of them walked outside to follows Boggs, who was holding the holo out in front of him to detect any dangers coming their way.

Behind them, Finnick and Peeta were talking in hushed voices as the former District Four tribute held a small notebook in his hand with Peeta's speech for the propo on it.

"To the citizens of the Capitol, our war is not with you." Finnick began, waiting for the younger man to repeat it back to him.

"To the citizens of the Capitol our war is not with you."

"You will be a vital part in the democracy that follows our victory."

"You got it." Finnick sent Peeta a bright smile.

"Thanks." He breathed out shyly, before directing his gaze elsewhere again as they took a sharp right into a small alleyway before a larger courtyard came into view. Once again, the buildings looked like they could fall apart any second as Sidney observed the dozens of cracks running down the walls.

"Boggs!" Cressida called out, pushing herself to the front of the group. "This is a good spot." She continued when she had his attention. "Down there, through the courtyard."

The dark skinned man nodded silently, before turning to the rest of the unit. "Let's clear it." He instructed, already walking down the stone stairs. The group had barely passed through a stone archway, when the holo started to beep warnings.

"I got a pod." Boggs confirmed as the beeping started to go faster and faster when the cautiously walked forward. "Split, take cover." He pointed in to directions.

Sidney and Finnick hid behind one of the enormous walls as did the otherd. Picking up a small rock from the ground, Boggs warned his team one final time. "Stay back."

The man hurled the strone through the gateway, it barely went a meter far before huge guns appeared from both sides of the wall, shooting bullets left and right, dust and smoke in the air, while pieces of broken stone bounced around.

With wide eyes and a dropped jaw, Sidney looked at Finnick who smiled as the bullets continued to rain down on them, this caused a smile to ride up Sidney's face as she held back a laugh. The archway they previously walked through, collapsed with a loud bang.

Silence followed after that, Sidney let a shaky laugh as she stood back to her full height.

"Gale, Homes. With me." Boggs motioned for the two soldiers, "Leegs, take the wings."

Sidney bit her lip as the soldiers moved forward, Boggs taking the lead. But her attention was caught by Peeta across from her, who was shaking on the ground, softly banging his head against the end of his unloaded gun, muttering unrecognizable words under his breath.

Suddenly, before she could blink, a thunderous explosion echoed throughout the courtyard and within seconds, Katniss rushed toward it. "Katniss! Stop! Wait!" Sidney shouted but that didn't stop the Girl on Fire from running. Sidney held back a loud groan and lightly knocked her head to the wall, clearly stressed out.

"Sid! What are you doing?!" Finnick called after her once she ran after Katniss, eyes widened at the sight of Boggs, laying on the ground, both legs blown apart in the explosion.

Sidney's hand immediately flew to her mouth, as she tried to hide the loud gasp escaping her lips. She staggered back a few steps where Finnick luckily caught her before she tripped.

But it seemed, the worse was yet to come, when one of the twins stepped on a hidden pod, the exits closed off and in those few silents moments after they were trapped inside the courtyard.